Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-20, 04:06 AM  
maitai

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
she wears a baseball cap in the house. Is there a leaky roof? Why?
Jajajajajajajaja!
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 02:54 PM  
Calistro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post

That said, I'm much more likely to criticize when I've paid for a workout than one I viewed for free on YT. Depends on the instructor I guess, and whether they would actually use the information to get better.
p
This right here.

I was about to say, If I paid for something then I would reserve the right to give constructive criticism if needed, but if that instructor was providing lots of free you tube workouts which I enjoyed but for a few minor things, I may hold fire on my criticism, lest they stop uploading
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 03:12 PM  
CharM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
Tracy Steen: Love your workouts and your demeanor, but please put a pony holder in your hair. For some reason it drives me bonkers when hair is flying all over or she wears a baseball cap in the house. Is there a leaky roof? Why?

Linda Wooldridge: Great workouts, but your audio could use some fine tuning. You are very muffled.
That first one is funny.

I agree with the second.

Oh, I have one! It's not to a specific instructor, but some walk in a teeny tiny corner, and I'm always afraid they're going to back up into the wall. I think the point is to show us that the walk can be done in a small space, but most home exercisers know what they have to work with, so you don't have to show us that it can be done. This had never bothered me before, but one in particular was making me feel claustrophobic.

I think if we buy their dvds, we have a free pass to criticize their YT content. hahaha kidding, I think it's fine to share here what we dislike but I wouldn't say anything "to their face" for the reason Calistro stated. I'd hate for them to pack up their toys and leave.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-20, 08:11 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharM View Post
That first one is funny.

I agree with the second.

Oh, I have one! It's not to a specific instructor, but some walk in a teeny tiny corner, and I'm always afraid they're going to back up into the wall. I think the point is to show us that the walk can be done in a small space, but most home exercisers know what they have to work with, so you don't have to show us that it can be done. This had never bothered me before, but one in particular was making me feel claustrophobic.

I think if we buy their dvds, we have a free pass to criticize their YT content. hahaha kidding, I think it's fine to share here what we dislike but I wouldn't say anything "to their face" for the reason Calistro stated. I'd hate for them to pack up their toys and leave.
I wonder if, perhaps, the instructors don’t have much room in their homes and shoot their videos where they can - in an extra, unused bedroom, etc.
Joni O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-20, 05:00 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

This goes for more than a few YouTube instructors:

DON'T SHOUT!!!

Some of these instructors act like they've had 20 cups of coffee. I like healthy enthusiasm, but not manic episodes.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-20, 09:18 PM  
marki64

Another peave, is when they don't face you. I often have to remember what side to work.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-20, 11:42 PM  
prettyinpink

I guess I think if they want to improve, they will ask people they trust, and watch lots of videos of people who are successful with lots of followers, not look at anonymous comments.

I think commenting on sound and lighting could be helpful from an anonymous user. I doubt they would listen to users about form. I mean, if they think enough of themselves to put out content, they probably think their form is fine, and don’t care what I think.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-20, 12:14 AM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I guess I think if they want to improve, they will ask people they trust, and watch lots of videos of people who are successful with lots of followers, not look at anonymous comments.

I think commenting on sound and lighting could be helpful from an anonymous user. I doubt they would listen to users about form. I mean, if they think enough of themselves to put out content, they probably think their form is fine, and don’t care what I think.
Yes, form is a huge turn off for me, Yvette Bachman and Christine Salus I’m looking at you. That is NOT how you lift kettlebells or do rows or... never mind. But I don’t say anything for the same reason you mentioned. I either avert my eyes or just skip their stuff because some days I just can’t ignore it. I appreciate their efforts on free workouts though. Christine always slays me when they just don’t look that tough on preview.
cjayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-20, 08:03 AM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I agree with this, and would add that some "criticisms" are more personal taste than constructive, and again if the instructors want opinions they'll ask for them (from someone, maybe not from us). Clothing styles, hairstyles, and set design/selection generally fall into the "personal taste" camp, I'd say, unless there's a functional problem (like black outfit against a dark background such that you can't see the movements well). I actually think a form critique might be welcome IF the instructor usually has good form but does a particular move oddly, but not if their form is generally bad.

I don't quite get the feeling of being "afraid" something will happen due to the instructor's choice of outfit or set. In this thread it was backing into a wall, but I've also seen on VF e.g. "I was afraid her pants would fall down." If they backed into a wall, or their clothes fell off, they wouldn't upload the video. I guess maybe when people say those things they're over-identifying with the instructor - imagining how that space, or that waistband, would feel to work out in, and it doesn't feel comfortable - but I don't think an instructor would appreciate that feedback.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-20, 08:39 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I don’t think people take constructive criticism well. It’s like when someone says, “If I tell you something, promise you won’t get mad?” 😂
I had already chosen the Cronies weekly theme when I saw your comment. It's in a similar vein:

Telling a woman to calm down works about as well as baptizing a cat

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
youtube instructors, youtube workouts