Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-19, 09:28 AM  
daisyduke

Your favorite sites for streaming barre please

I recently tried barre and loved it! I know nothing about the different sites that offer streaming. Can you please post your favorites? Thank you!!
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-19, 09:40 AM  
sillygirl

There are different styles of barre. Which one did you do and like?
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-19, 09:45 AM  
daisyduke

I’m so new to barre I don’t even know. It was on Alo Moves. Adrienne Kimberley was the instructor. She did lots of pulses and used light weights.
Old 09-24-19, 10:09 AM  
prettyinpink

I love Iron Barre/Leah Sarago. For just barre you would want to look at her Ballet Body periodization plans. Some of the streaming does have segments with weights, but that isn’t traditional barre.

Suzanne Bowen is also really good though not as challenging as Leah Sarago IMO. A lot of us complained when she didn’t have new content for a very long time, but I think recently that has changed, and as a brand new subscriber, there is plenty to do. She also has a nice set up with plans you can follow.

My other favorite is barre3, but it isn’t traditional barre, more like barre fusion with larger movements and some token yoga poses thrown in (it isn’t really yoga at all, though).

Physique 57 is fun but I didn’t subscribe past a few months, because they weren’t posting new workouts very often. I haven’t been there in a long time, though. They are one of the more expensive options, as is barre3.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-19, 12:07 PM  
topfitmama

Most barre streaming sites offer free trials, sometimes even a whole month.
- Tracey Mallett has her Booty Barre workouts available on her streaming site: pilates barre on demand. Her style has more large ROM moves and some pulses.

- Xtend Barre is similar to Booty Barre. There's a fair number of workouts here: Openfit Their trial lasts 30 days!

- Bar Method is closer to the original Lotte Berk barre workout (I think!), with smaller ROM movements. They offer a 14 day trial here: barmethod

I've never done Pure Barre. I prefer ballet-inspired workouts over barre. It's worth speding some time trying out the different styles to see which one works best for you!
Have fun!
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-19, 01:17 PM  
daisyduke

Thank you for these sites! Do any of them offer good music?
Old 09-24-19, 03:34 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

I recently signed up for Ballet Physique and really like it so far. It’s similar to the Bar Method, but also has unique twists in the workouts and a good variety of instructors. The music is decent, too. No recognizable songs, but motivating and something you could hear in a live class setting. I like the Bar Method classes, but not the instruction. The instructors on the streaming workouts all speak with the same inflection which annoys me after awhile. There are also several workouts that had uneven reps or other instructor mistakes that I felt should have been fixed. I like Barre 3 but as mentioned above it is not traditional barre, although still a great workout and there are some super instructors.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-19, 06:09 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I have gone back and forth between Barre3 and Suzanne Bowen quite a bit, with some Bar Method thrown in as well.

I would agree that Barre3 isn’t traditional barre work; I find it to be more cardio intensive than the others, and many of their weekly workouts feel the same to me.

Lately I’ve drifted back to Suzanne Bowen’s streaming. It’s more reasonably priced and she uses decent music. Her streaming platform is really nice! Lots of rotations available - so you just pick the rotation you want and the appropriate video pops up each day. She has added some new content lately, but there’s plenty there even without the new stuff, including lots of lovely stretches.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-19, 06:23 PM  
sillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaL View Post
The instructors on the streaming workouts all speak with the same inflection which annoys me after awhile.
This can be said about Barre3 instructors as well! They all sound like Sadie Lincoln.
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-19, 06:42 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygirl View Post
This can be said about Barre3 instructors as well! They all sound like Sadie Lincoln.
I think this used to be more true. I think there is more variety in instructors now. But some do use the same phraseology, if that’s what you mean. Especially in the comments (I used to read some of them to choose workouts but the comments and instructor responses all say exactly the same things every time so it is hard to figure out the subtleties between them, which feel more challenging or don’t have so much breath work at the end, etc.).
I do find barmethod instructors even more homogeneous in instruction and comments than barre3, for whatever reason.

Music was asked about: barre3 is sometimes okay but sometimes blah and they tend to repeat songs a lot. From what I remember, so did barmethod. Leah Sarago rarely has music, sometimes a background beat.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre, barre streaming