Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-18, 08:34 AM  
Calistro

Instructors that you said you would never do

Hello,

just getting inspiration from another thread which asked who are your go to instructors?

I was saying that currently I am enjoying Denise Austin's workouts especially the outside hit the spot ones.

Well some years ago in a few threads, I have stated that she is one instructor I would never do, because I could not stand her voice and her piercing eyes. Well I have now changed my mind and I take it all back.

I few months ago (winter months) I was feeling very unmotivated to workout and I decided that I needed some easier workouts with nice scenery. Incidentally someone on vf mentioned Denise Austin's older stuff was at deepdiscount dvd or somewhere like that and recommended some youtube clips. I ended purchasing around 12 of her outside workouts and I have been doing them and now I have decided that her voice is actually the perkiness I need to get me going in the morning, as well as the fact that her physique is inspiring even now.

Is there an instructor that you have decided you just did not like for what ever reason but now have changed your mind and if so why?
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-18, 08:56 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Mine is a set of workouts that I said "nope not going to order" when it was announced and then I promptly ordered when I started hearing reviews and seeing clips.

It is Beachbody's Country Heat. I love the upbeat and fun factor in these and even with my two left feet, I can do most of it. They're all about 30 minutes or less and the time flies! I bought some stretch sliders to put on my sneakers that make the moves easier on carpet.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-18, 09:16 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Funny as I saw the title of your post but before I clicked on it, Denise Austin came to mind for me -- well, except that I've never gotten over the hump of not doing her workouts -- I wasn't sure where your thread was going. I think it's super cool that you made the discovery and are enjoying her workouts!

I don't know if I have anyone like that.....
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-18, 09:24 AM  
bubbles76

Yes - The Firm

ETA: Also Jillian Michaels and Margaret Richards, but for different reasons. I didn't care for Jillian's personality. I think she's corny when she's trying to be hard. And Margaret Richard, because her dvds were so expensive.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-18, 09:34 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Years ago, I had bought Body Beast for the DH. I previewed a few of the workouts and couldn't stand Sagi. He seemed so unprofessional and annoying.

Cut to last year when I decided to try a few of his workouts on BOD (Hammer & Chisel, Sagi's Exclusives). He has become more polished as an instructor. I have done a few Body Beast workouts recently and he doesn't bother me anymore.

On the other hand, I didn't used to mind Tony Horton so much. Now I pray for the "Less Tony" option!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-18, 09:48 AM  
Calistro

Kathy G: funny you should mention Country heat as I watched a couple of clips of it on youtube yesterday, but I am on the fence as I cannot stand Autumns screen persona.

Vintage VFer: I do not have body beast though I have thought about it. I purchased hammer and chisel last year, viewed it once and decided I cannot stand either Sagi or Autumn's screen persona's. They could be really cool people in real life, but I cannot warm to them yet. I have tried to trade that workout a few times but no takers.
Maybe I will try it again in a few years time and discover that I actually like them or maybe not

bee : sorry I can be a bit long winded. I had commented in previous threads in the past that I did not like on screen Denise and would never do her workouts, but I love them now.

bubbles76: I love the firm I still get them out from time to time.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-18, 11:46 AM  
Mickey12

Denise Austin is it for me too. I remember her from the TV shows she had on Lifetime and I really hated her voice and what I deemed to be ridiculous comments that she made during the workouts. I never bought any of her DVDs.

Last year Rite Aid had a bunch of DVDs in a big sale bin and there were quite a few Biggest Loser and Denise Austin workouts. I bought a couple just because the price was decent. After I tried them, I bought some more. Her voice still annoys me sometimes, but you can't deny she his perky. I like her workouts for easier days although I find some of her DVDs are pretty challenging.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-18, 03:29 PM  
mrsyancy

Mine isn’t an instructor it’s a type of workout. I never wanted walking workouts bc they seemed too “easy”. I love walking workouts now. I have some Jessica, prevention, shape, Kathy smith, Denise Austin and other random walking workouts that I do quite often now. I still love my tough workouts, but, for me, I’ve learned that it’s about movement and not necessarily about intensity all the time.
Old 03-26-18, 04:04 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

When I first found VF in 1998 as a beginner exerciser, I thought "I will never be able to do Cathe." That was back in the day when a big topic of discussion was whether Imax (the original) or Intense Moves was tougher. lol. I just saw Cathe as this ultimate fitness experience that I would never do because I just didn't think I had it in me. But VFers kindly recommended starting with baby steps and I did work my way up and was able to do Cathe and did so for many years.

Of course "I will never do" because it's too tough is different than "I will never do" because it's too irritating. lol.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-18, 07:28 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Before VF, I tried a couple Cathe tapes, Rock Bottoms and a step tape I don't remember the name of, and they were awful - nonstop whooping and screaming! I was baffled why VFers liked her so much. Then I tried Step Fit and liked it, mainly because no more whooping. I've also gotten to like the Richard Simmons workouts that are on Prime.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote