Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-18, 12:56 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Excessive talking.
No mirror cueing.
Instructor or background exercisers have lousy form.
Workouts where the pace is too quick for me to keep good form (this includes some yoga workouts).

Sets and music aren't that important to me.

I'm clearly a minority in that most of the workouts I have are with a single instructor and no background exercisers. It makes me feel like I am taking a private class and I like that a lot.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 01:00 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
-Bad music - I don't usually care about this too much - but if it is so bad that it is distracting and is taking away from the workout - I'll Joni-O that too. One old vintage Firm comes to mind.
Okay...which Firm?

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 01:14 PM  
Erica H.

Interesting how many people said they don't like solo workouts. I actually prefer them because I find background exercisers distracting and I like the one-on-one feel of just the instructor.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 02:14 PM  
BunnyHop

More:

I can handle a certain amount of TIFTing, but not too much of it. Not a huge fan of long segments that get repeated over and over. Shorter ones just feel as though I'm being given the opportunity to work the moves with more attention. Long ones seem as though the instructor ran out of ideas.

Also not a fan of mass amounts of instruction. If the workout or the work itself requires THAT much attention to detail, I prefer either a separate instructional segment or a separate audio track for beginners, etc.. Once I learn what needs to be done, and how to do it, I'd much rather focus properly without having to hear all the instruction. (Love J Brown's yoga dvd for this reason.) I do appreciate accurate cuing, though. Correct side, right body part, whichever move, say it accurately.
Old 03-05-18, 02:24 PM  
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
Okay...which Firm?
This was tough to answer - I know what it was - but it was too long and far too many firms ago. I narrowed it down to either Core Cardio 1 or 2 - I'm convinced it was Carissa Foster leading - to some heavy metal cacophony going on in the background. I believe it was some choreographed 4 limb work with weights. Not sure which workout that was in but I know it was part of the original Firm 90 day rotation and it was in there A LOT!!! I hated it the first time I did it and every subsequent time thereafter.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 02:58 PM  
mrsyancy

There really aren’t things that will keep me from buying a workout if I really like the workout or think I will really like it. There are many things that may annoy me in some workouts, but for me, I am just overlook these kind of things.

For example, I love love Christi Taylor’s workouts, but one of the background girls in many of her workouts just feels like she’s hamming it up for the camera. It’s quite annoying, but I love Christi and her workouts, so I just ignore her and pay attention to Christi and maybe one of the other background girls.

The only thing that would keep me from buying a workout is if the actual instructor is annoying to me. That would be a big no no
Old 03-05-18, 03:08 PM  
cindyw75

Above all for me is personality. I've done a couple of pretty good workouts, but I just didn't click with the instructors, so I never went back to them.

Mirror cuing is also a deal breaker for me.

Workout length - not too long, and not too short. I don't like 10-minute solutions, and I don't like 75-minute workouts.

Inconsistent cuing (16 reps on one side, 32 on the other) - I don't want to have to pause to make up the difference.
cindyw75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 03:42 PM  
Calistro

The things that would keep me from buying a workout.

1. Bad music, but what constitutes bad music is highly subjective of course.

2. Bad form. I struggle to get past it.

3. Tons of equipment. I didn't realise this until I started buying workouts with minimal equipment.

4. too much jumping, such as burpees etc. and any uncomfortable twisty moves especially when using weights.

5. Generally overcluttered sets or scenery.

6. I may just not click with some instructors.

Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 05:41 PM  
poohpeggy

Uneven reps.

Bad form.

Bad advice from instructor.

Waste of time workouts. (not feeling like you accomplished anything)

Music, well I've learned to live with it.
poohpeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 05:59 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post

What turns you off buying a new workout.
An empty wallet.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote