Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-08, 09:59 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by roz
I think about my cats. They vary in weight greatly. One eats a lot. One eats more slowly and a lot less. The others are somewhere in the middle. The thinnest cat? Well, that would be a tie between the slow and the frequent eater. The fattest by far is the more moderate eater. Gee, does one have more "willpower" than another?
How many cats do you have? For some reason, I just kept thinking Dr. Seuss as I read through this. I know, I missed the point entirely And it's very late for me to be up.
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 03:45 AM  
roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76
How many cats do you have? For some reason, I just kept thinking Dr. Seuss as I read through this. I know, I missed the point entirely And it's very late for me to be up.
I have the four best looking cats in North America!
roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 08:47 AM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Another reason WLS should be a last resort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda
I think I mentioned upthread that even an extreme measure like WLS only provides a six-month window of opportunity to lose the extra weight - if you can't manage to lose much weight in the first six months after WLS, or later regain it, you would be stuffed, as we say in Australia.

There really are no quick fixes.
I think you did mention the "window of opportunity" with WLS (what I called bariatric surgery...think I have the term right?) and that surprised me. I had no idea it was like that. I do KNOW that the more I hear about this method of weightloss, the less I like it and the more I'm glad I didn't need to go that route. And the more I'm concerned for those who have. Everyone I know who had this has had to relearn how to eat...so many foods really make them sick now They have to be so careful with so much in their eating...chicken (believe it or not!!!) is a big problem!!! How anyone manages to stretch the new stomach out to regain the weight amazes me.

For those who choose to go this route, I pray you have a great doctor. The one I hear about here makes his patients go through a lot of classes and take psychological testing in preparation for the surgery PLUS the lifestyle changes needed to make it all a success.
Old 08-05-08, 09:25 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roz
I have the four best looking cats in North America!
Oh, no Roz, I DEFINITELY have the four best looking cats in North America!!!

And your comparison of the shapes and sizes of your cats is interesting because I see the same thing in mine---one is long and lean, one is stocky, and the other two somewhere in the middle.

The article that I read concerning the "exercise pill" was extremely short and may have been misleading, at least to me. It implied that it was fat loss that was to be gained from this pill. Apparently this is not the same article/and or pill!!!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 12:54 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary W
sheeyaw! Thanks for the laugh, Sue. oh my, I might not recover from that one .
I've found that kids behave much better when they know you can outrun them

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 08:02 PM  
amyzan
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch
But I'm not at all boggled at the media frame. Framing it this way makes the news more "relevant" (more people are ambulatory than not) and provocative (more people will click on "Exercise in a Pill?"--they might be excited, skeptical, outraged, whatever--than "Possible Help for the Non-Ambulatory"). This frame, in other words, makes the article more likely to get read.
I guess much of what passes for journalism these days flips my lid, but hey, that's just me! I'm of the Walter Cronkite generation.

Amy

from Stream of Life, Rabindranath Tragore
amyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 01:19 PM  
tapdancer

Now I've heard EVERYTHING!

I'm sure people will be standing in line for this "quick fix."

"To dance is to be out of yourself. Larger, more beautiful, more powerful. This is power, it is glory on earth and it is yours for the taking."

~Agnes De Milles~

tapdancer is offline   Reply With Quote