Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-08, 03:25 AM  
Vee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda
1. I get better results from heavy weightlifting for the lower body than any amount of floorwork or "toning" exercises.

2. Despite what the "experts" say, you can vastly improve your balance and coordination at an older age.

3. Ditto for continuing to see results from stability ball work.

5. I really enjoy punching and kicking.

6. I will buy almost anything labeled "extreme".

7. I really benefit from lots of stretching.
We most certainly were separated at birth Tick "couldnt be truer" for me against all the above

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda
10. I like my Pilates and bodyweight exercises done at a slow and considered pace, not at breakneck speed.
Replace pilates with yoga (maybe I should give pilates a try - so far I think I dont care for it) and we have further proof that I am your dark haired, brown skinned twin.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 04:23 AM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee
Replace pilates with yoga (maybe I should give pilates a try - so far I think I dont care for it) and we have further proof that I am your dark haired, brown skinned twin.
Spooky!
RedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 07:38 AM  
yogini_michelle

1. i love yoga. but i don't like yoga fusion. vinyasa is great as long as the instructor is being safe and not going at neck breaking speeds.

2. i don't get into workouts that just have only the instructor and no one else there to show modifications. this is especially true in yoga dvds.

3. mat pilates alone bores me.

4. i love boxing and kickboxing, but without the whoops and booty shakin

5. i really have to be in a special mood for YBBs

6. workouts that are done in a "live class" setting (especially for yoga) end up being my favorites or can change my mind about an instructor (the latter happened with Shiva Rea with her Yoga Journal Conference dvd)

7. most bandwagon workouts i usually won't get into.

8. as much as i adore the encouragement of Coach Sean, as much as i love the concept of Cardio Coach...i think i am one of the few people who are bored by the music. I just can't get into it and will just stick with my Vols 1-4

9. it's really ok not to like the Firm. i gave it more than enough chances.

10. Zumba makes me smile.
Old 06-08-08, 07:44 AM  
ooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogini_michelle
8. as much as i adore the encouragement of Coach Sean, as much as i love the concept of Cardio Coach...i think i am one of the few people who are bored by the music. I just can't get into it and will just stick with my Vols 1-4

Michelle darling.. you broke my heart

I hope to meet you in the fall. Did you ever read my PM?
Old 06-08-08, 07:50 AM  
adrien_73

I have learned quite a bit, but most improtant:

-I cannot stick to any rotation!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 09:22 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I reading all your responses!!! And I find myself agreeing with many of them, but especially this:
Quote:
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 09:39 AM  
ooty

Quote:
Me three.

The only consistent thing is my workout with CC. In fact, I think I cannot stick to a rotation, because it feels like too much work and then I say.. screw it.. lets just run with CC.
Old 06-08-08, 10:18 AM  
seabliss

I agree with a lot of you!

1. The instructor is so important. I hate it when the instructor is cheerleader-perky. I hate whooping, over-enthusiasm, condescension, or too much inspirational talk. I like warm, down-to-earth, calm instructors. Keli Roberts is a good example of this.

2.I hate traditional floor cardio--grapevines etc. are a total turnoff for me. Anything that looks like what you would see on a TV screen in an 80s movie (the woman is exercising to a TV workout -- "Let's go ladies! And one, and two ...") is just so ridiculous to me and I would feel embarrassed to be doing it. I also hate dance workouts. Like Peggy T said, I don't want to shake it or get funky with it during my workout.

Either of the first two being off will get me to stop a workout 30 seconds in and not ever do it.

3. I love kicking and punching and athletic workouts. I don't like a lot of complicated choreo, but I don't mind combinations as long as they aren't super-complicated. Drills are fine too and sometimes refreshing. I love feeling strong--but not with huge guns--like I could kick someone's butt if needed or scale a building (yeah, my spy chick fantasy), graceful, capable.

4. I find yoga and pilates to be boring at this stage in my life, although I may enjoy them in the future. I like barre/ballet, but I rarely do them right now because I feel like moving when I work out, since I sit a lot during my work day. I want to get in, do a short warmup, then work hard, and then stretch it out. I prefer workouts that are about 1 hour long.

5. My first video workout was a step workout (Cher's workout), and I liked it, but I hate step workouts now. Also seems a bit ridiculous to me (see #2).

6. I love it when there's good music in a workout, but that is rare (good eg., Cindy Crawford workouts and Elite Forces Shadowbox). I despise bad music in a workout. Slim Series is doable because I blast my own music and turn the TV down so I can barely hear the commentary.
seabliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 10:47 AM  
christinan

I have learned a lot about workouts over the years. Here are a few things I know:

• I am a collector
  • I like slow, gentle, relaxing yoga and not power yoga
  • as much as I want to get the hang of complex choreo because it looks so darned fun...I can’t
  • good music is the most fun
  • production values, nice backgrounds and nice colours in a workout are very important to me as it needs to be visually appealing and well made
  • I like Tae Bo but I really really really do not like the incessant counting
  • I enjoy variety – toning workouts, strength, AWT, cardio, kickboxing, yoga, and hi / lo.... and I can sometimes like step workouts but for my body type I couldn’t do them all the time as they would bulk my legs too much
  • I like outdoors settings in some workouts (although it depends on the background or scenery for me in some...I’ve seen some where it is cloudy or in an area not appealing to me as well which isn’t helpful)
  • I LOVE the classic Firms ...the colourful mansion setting and workout gear are so much fun!!! (so...also add in WHFN’s here)
  • I still thnk Keli Roberts is my fave instructor
  • I like good form, pointers and motivation throughout the workout -- and the same number of reps per side with any movement
  • I LOVE workouts that have been packaged with other things as now I have some REALLY pretty purple and pink gadgets, weights, cords, bands and balls to add to my collection
  • I LOVE collecting

...Come to Me all ye who are weary & heavy-ladened and I will give you Rest...
Matthew 11:28 / KJV ~ "The Holy Bible"

°~°*~*°~° Tina °~°*~*°~°
christinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 01:29 PM  
tapdancer

My Likes

1. I like complex choreography as long as it is well-cued.

2. I like male or female instructors as long as they don't talk too much

3. Good music is VERY IMPORTANT.

4. I like indoor workouts.

5. I like dance choreography with creative steps.

6. I enjoy kick boxing....but I had to slow down because it was bothering my shoulders.

7. I like Quick Fix videos for days when I don't have a lot of time.

My Dislikes

1. I don't like Pilates.

2. I don't like videos where the camera pans away from the instructor's legs when they are introducing a new step

3. I don't like instructors who do not cue well, but I'm compelled to buy their videos anyway because I like the choreography. (Patrick G.)

4. i don't like videos with too much TIFTing.

"To dance is to be out of yourself. Larger, more beautiful, more powerful. This is power, it is glory on earth and it is yours for the taking."

~Agnes De Milles~

tapdancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nicki doane