Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-15, 11:39 AM  
Bebop

Cathe ICE clips seem more advanced than intermediate

I have been watching all the clips. I still haven't pre-ordered.

In my opinion, these look great but they look just as advanced as her other programs. Any feelings from my other VF friends that also have most of Cathe's other programs?

The moves that I have seen are the same if not similar in her other programs. The Bootcamp looks tougher than the original Intensity Bootcamp.
I don't see much modification going on. I like that the programs are shorter.

I still say that the BodyBlast series is intermediate.

Any other opinions? I'll probably end up ordering these later today I'm waiting for the kickbox clip.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-15, 12:14 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

My guess is that these are intermediate...the clips don't show the rest periods (because that would be boring), but those rest periods make a huge difference in intensity. I know from personal experience based on my use of the pause button on my remote control that a few seconds pause here and there makes for a whole different level of intensity, even with the same moves. The clips also can't show the full sequencing of moves, which also makes a huge difference.

But I guess we won't know until we have them just what level of intermediate each workout actually is, but Cathe has said they vary within the range in intermediate workouts.

I did see modifying, but mostly only in the jumping moves in the main workout. No modifying in the blizzard blasts, because I guess then they wouldn't be a blizzard blast.

Good luck with your decision!
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-15, 04:00 PM  
wendy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop View Post
I have been watching all the clips. I still haven't pre-ordered.

In my opinion, these look great but they look just as advanced as her other programs. Any feelings from my other VF friends that also have most of Cathe's other programs?

The moves that I have seen are the same if not similar in her other programs. The Bootcamp looks tougher than the original Intensity Bootcamp.
I don't see much modification going on. I like that the programs are shorter.

I still say that the BodyBlast series is intermediate.

Any other opinions? I'll probably end up ordering these later today I'm waiting for the kickbox clip.
I think they'll be more intermediate, if only because of the shorter length.

For example, ICE Bootcamp is

Warm Up - 5:33
Workout - 34:50
Stretch - 4:18
Total - 44:41

where as Intensity Bootcamp is
warm-up (5 1/2 min.),
eight cycles of cardio, lower body, upper body, core (51 min.),
stretch (1 1/2 min.)
Total = 58 min.

And the more I look at the clips, I think that although many of the moves look familiar, it seems like they're going at a slower pace--and I have a feeling they aren't doing as many reps, either. When I'm working out with a Cathe DVD and actually doing the same moves she's doing (i.e. snow angel jacks), I can do them for a reasonable amount of reps (20?). It's when she keeps going to 32 or 64 (!!) that it really becomes advanced... I'm thinking she cut down on reps and pace to make these more on the intermediate side.

But really, we won't know until we do 'em Good luck deciding. If you already have most of everything Cathe, then I say go for it--because you already love her workouts, you'll likely love these, too.
wendy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-15, 04:11 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

IMHO if you think the Body Blast series is intermediate, then this series would be intermediate as well. I agree that the shorter length of the workouts is one indicator---could be why the Blizzard blasts are included as add ins to add a level of difficulty to please those who want "advanced"? I never really thought of BodyBlast as intermediate, but in comparison to a lot of the other series I can see where you're coming from in that the selection as a whole is not as advanced as, say, the Intensity series.

It really can be tough to tell the level in clips---I find clips highly unreliable as to whether I'll like a workout or not, but I know some people depend on them. Good luck with your decision! Let us know what you do.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-15, 07:59 PM  
Bebop

It's true what you all have said. I like the shorter length. I just want to wait for the Kickbox clip.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-15, 11:08 PM  
LCC
VF Supporter

I've been waiting until the last minute too, and I'm not loving what I see. I see a lot of speed, a lot of knee twists, and a fair amount of impact.

I even saw her jump with weights in Metabolic, which is one I was interested in. But, then I notice that she's doing compound hamstrings and shoulders and those are two very different weights for me, so I'm leaning more and more to passing on this series.

So, probably passing...we'll see if I cave anyway.

Laura (LCC)
LCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-15, 08:04 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCC View Post
I. But, then I notice that she's doing compound hamstrings and shoulders and those are two very different weights for me ...
I noticed and was confused about that too. Deadlifts usually translate into the heaviest weights I can use; whereas shoulders are the lightest. I'm not sure what benefits I'd get from that compound move using weights suitable for my shoulders .... except a warm-up/stretch for the hamstrings.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-15, 08:20 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCC View Post
But, then I notice that she's doing compound hamstrings and shoulders and those are two very different weights for me...Laura (LCC)
I saw that too, but was hoping there was a quick edit and she was lifting different weights. Everyone on the set has at least 4 sets of dumbbells, which reassures me that for some of the exercises, Cathe will go (appropriately) heavier or lighter.
Old 12-02-15, 06:12 PM  
cmiyachi

I also thought they looked advanced. But RWH was super advanced - it will be good to have some easier Cathe for me.

I have a professional relationship with web sites that sell yoga downloads.
cmiyachi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe ice series, ice