Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-15, 10:23 PM  
lrb04

Leslie The Man in the High Castle is a bit choppy at parts & it goes from one character's happenings to another but they are all kind of related in a sense that the story has them connected. It has you thinking at the end because it is a story that doesn't have a clear ending but to me that is not as important as the ideas & thoughts behind it. The author wanted ago write a sequel but could not get motivated to write about the Nazis again.
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-15, 11:03 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

I just finished Gathering Prey by John Sanford. I enjoyed it.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-15, 12:21 AM  
BunnyHop

I haven't really checked in here much lately.

I finished the new Charles Finch mystery 'Home By Nightfall', quite a nice entry in the Charles Lynch series. (but do read them in order so you don't miss the ongoing story)

From there I've been reading some things on meditation.
Waking Up by Sam Harris was a bit baffling, but intriguing, and

Yoga Nidra by Swami Satyananda Saraswati is a bit too new age-y, I haven't finished it yet. There are meditations written out, apparently, that I can record for my own use, so I will be keeping on with this one, eventually.
Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana is maybe a more useful read, even if the first chapter didn't grab me. (Not sure why, but so far the rest is fine.)

I started a meditation practice using this cd, that's a guided imagery type thing I can do lying down. I did try a few other Yoga Nidra type cd's, but this one's my favorite. (Conscious Relaxation: Serenity Now by Karen Klutznick) The audio tracks are just her voice, an introduction and two meditation tracks, one 40+ minutes, the other maybe 25?.

I like having instruction to follow, and the choice of long or short practice is nice. When I'm tired, I do the short one, so I have a better chance of remaining attentive throughout.

My hope is that the books will help me develop a regular practice of meditation. So far, I think it's a good thing.
Old 11-30-15, 09:07 AM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy W. View Post
Lady, by the actor Thomas Tryon, who also wrote The Other and Harvest Home. Excellent book that kept me riveted. I am sorry to be done with it! Great writing, characters and atmosphere.
I just finished this one too. I really loved it.
Old 11-30-15, 09:07 AM  
Sissy B

Traveling last week for Thanksgiving DD & I listened to a couple of Agatha Christie's BBC Radio Play audio books to pass the time on the drive up and back - 4:50 From Paddington and Hercule Poirot's Christmas.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-15, 05:43 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb04 View Post
Leslie The Man in the High Castle is a bit choppy at parts & it goes from one character's happenings to another but they are all kind of related in a sense that the story has them connected. It has you thinking at the end because it is a story that doesn't have a clear ending but to me that is not as important as the ideas & thoughts behind it. The author wanted ago write a sequel but could not get motivated to write about the Nazis again.
You are making this sound very intriguing.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-15, 06:07 PM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

Audiobooks I've completed in the last month or are in the midst of:

Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology - Leah Remini - love this memoir which she narrates perfectly - insightful, sad and entertaining. Range of emotions.

But Enough About Me: A Memoir - Burt Reynolds - he narrates the book. I haven't finished it yet but I am enjoying it immensely. Very humorous and informative. I am constantly chuckling and laughing to his stories. I love listening to him chat about his experiences; the actors he knew along the way and the movies and TV shows he was in.

The Crossing: Michael Connelly - the latest Harry Bosch book. Narrated by Titus Welliver who does a great job. I love Harry Bosch, my favorite detective.

The Guilty: David Baldalcci - in the midst of it. Started it but good side-tracked for another book.

The Rogue Lawyer: John Grisham - started it but didn't like it at all, couldn't finish it. Got a refund.

The Nature of the Beast and The Long Way Home - Louise Penny - finished The Long Way Home; in the midst of The Nature of the Beast. I am sad that the original narrator, Ralph Cosham passed away last year. New narrator for the latest book, not the same. Ralph Cosham was Chief Inspector Gamache.
Old 11-30-15, 08:39 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb04 View Post
I put this on hold for myself at the library (Kindle version). I'm looking forward to reading it.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-15, 09:47 PM  
lrb04

DonnaLet me know what you think, I have extra notes of my thoughts that are spoilers, so until you read it I will hold off! I think the Kindle version is perfect for this book for many reasons- translations of German & Japanese passages, the x ray feature, as well as Internet ability to look certain things up. Many times I look things up on my iPad which the Kindle does not have information for. I Ching being used by many in this book. I am one who reads & likes to picture everything & know everything in my mind. This book is not a hard read but many things new to me. About near halfway through it became lots easier, maybe because the characters became clearer or maybe because I was kind of tired during the holiday week which effects me. I also am someone who reads like a turtle until about the half way point & then I become a hare. This book had a 1960's feel to it, or at least that is my opinion. The book & the series are quite different & I will watch the rest of season 1 on Amazon. I have several more of his books on my Kindle & will read them at some point.
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-15, 11:39 PM  
Sissy B

I just finished The Husband Diet by Nancy Barone. I really liked it! I wasn't sure if I was going to or not at the beginning, but it didn't take long for me to get into it. A fun, fun book.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, reading