Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-20, 08:21 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Friends in Fitness - October 2020

Newcomers welcome!! Join us!

Whatever you do for fitness, walking, running, stepping, dancing, yoga, weights, pilates, kettle bells, swimming, biking, etc., come join us and we will try to encourage, inspire, support, and motivate you to achieve your goals!!

Happy and healthy October everyone!
summer breeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-20, 08:25 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I'm copying and pasting my post from the September thread below :

Hi all !!

Yesterday I did a couple more PBL workouts, upper with light weights and side cincher, and then a 51 minute afternoon walk. I am planning the same today, maybe weights instead of PBL, not sure yet.

TERRI, good walking. Yum on the vegetable soup. Ugh on the internet troubles and the witchy CS rep. I really do like the SS workouts a lot but never do a full rotation.
I plug them in here and there. They always work well for me when I do them though.

PENGUIN, nice job finding different workouts. I should look into the Oral B.
PBL gets a thumbs up, I like her workouts a lot, but since I'm never consistent with one instructor it doesn't make sense to pay for a subscription. If she has a crazy good Black Friday deal or something I may go for it and then I won't feel bad just doing the workouts now and then.

NORA, good job keeping consistent.
DD and I have been wanting to visit Canada for a couple of years. I don't think they'll be letting us in anytime soon though.
Old 10-01-20, 06:26 PM  
patchworkpenguin

Nora, Actually, the out of work neighbor is building our fence. He hired a out of work guy down the street to help him. They are doing a really good job and this is going much quicker than I thought it would. We have to take Cindy out front on a leash but she's rather enjoying the change in scenery.

SB, I can understand why you don't want to pay for workouts you would only use occasionally. I agree

This morning I was rudely woken up by a huge cramp in my upper calf. I've noticed that I'm getting them more often these days but usually I can just stretch out of them. This one I couldn't even get out of bed to stand on it without Hubby's help. Poor guy got tangled in the sheets and we were both stuck for a while! I've also noticed that I tend to get them on days I don't exercise, but I did a workout yesterday! My friend came to pick me up for Knitting and we discussed cures etc. Her suggestion was Powerade for the salt content. We have Gatorade for when we work in the yard so I tried that. I feel more hydrated and I think the cramp is loosening up. I've also stretched it out repeatedly.

so my shoulder has been feeling much better recently. I've managed to make a few projects and worked on a hat at knitting today. I got home, put away my things and thought to myself "I'm so happy I'm feeling so much better even after a morning of knitting!" Since we have to take Cindy outside out front on a leash I went out to re arrange a few chairs so I can sit down while lettinh her roam. We have a storm door and a wooden door. Normally I just leave the wooden door open if I'm only going outside for a few, also Cindy is known to open it with her nose. I pulled open the storm door, looked down to check my footing and something screamed in my head "look up!" I looked up just in time to jerk back my head before I slammed into the wood door, wrenching my shoulder again. So I'm back to hurting all the time again. Both calf and shoulder are on the right side. :{

No workout today, I took a nap instead!

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-20, 08:22 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

Yesterday instead of just talking about SS I actually did Ramp It Up in the morning and a 54 minute walk in the afternoon.
I skipped the all fours lower body work but still got a good workout. It was actually a little tougher than I remember so maybe that means I've been slacking off the weights and cardio a bit. It's raining this morning but it's supposed to clear up so hopefully a walk later and probably PBL this morning.

On a side note, I noticed the middle school mob scene hasn't been at the park lately.
So they either grew tired of it or more likely, someone complained. Either way I have my peaceful park back

PENGUIN, oh no on the shoulder and calf issues!! I don't blame you for taking a nap. Well deserved.

Waves to all. Stay well everyone!!

Old 10-02-20, 01:57 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

Penguin, I'm sorry to hear about the pain in your shoulder and calf. I had bad leg cramps a few months ago, and decided magnesium would help them...it did, but I took too much, and it also totally cleaned out my colon

SB, glad you got the peaceful park back! I think I kept one of the SS workouts, because I did like her, but I have no idea where it is.

I've been doing my treadmill walks, and Wednesday my after dinner walk was 1 mile of Leslie's 3 Fast and Fun Miles on YT, I would have actually done more if it had been there.

Yesterday some walking to Above Inspiration and Playing For Change early. Then the treadmill off and on, and a 10 minute walk after dinner.

Today, some weed pulling and treadmilling. The weather is still great here, and not supposed to get too warm again. I'm hoping that holds!

Hi to everybody

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-20, 11:03 PM  
patchworkpenguin

Terri, Thank you for the rec and the warning about the magnesium. I used to take it for migranes but I never could determine if it was working or not.

SB, I'm glad to hear you have your peace back! Good job on the SS workout.

So this morning I was woken up early by a jackhammer, they are working on the corner down the street. The good news is I felt better, calf and shoulder, but I had a headache and am starting to feel stuffy. I took this morning/afternoon easy and ended up taking another nap, but then started to feel better and restless this evening. I've been thinking about other workouts I could try and decided to do a search for 'cardio and barre'. I like the idea of barre workouts but generally find them slow and boring. No classical music please!

so I tried Body Barre's 0ff the Barre workout. It was only 20min and turned out to be a teaser for a longer workout. It was a live class but small, only 3 people in the shot, and pretty fun. Mostly squats, arabesques and side lifts at a pretty good pace. I was very impressed that I could do the whole workout, I kept expecting my leg to cramp, but I did use a hiking stick for balance. Will try them again.

then to thaw out my legs I did a 20m walking workout by Fitness with Cindy. Followed by a leg intensive stretch on my own.

Old 10-03-20, 09:51 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

Yesterday I did a 41 minute walk and that was it. My sister had texted me and she wanted to visit and I hadn't walked yet, so that's why it was a little shorter than usual.
We had a nice visit though so it was fine.
I am planning a walk and hopefully more today.

TERRI, glad to see the walking regimen is going strong. I hope the great weather holds out too.

PENGUIN, nice workout day! 2 for 2, good job. Sounds like a cold coming on? Good news on the shoulder and calf improvement.

Waves to all. Have a great weekend!
Old 10-03-20, 03:20 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

Penguin, the 1st thing I thought of when you said cardio & barre was Cardio Barre. I found my copy of that dvd, and even reading the case does not bring to mind what it was like. It says it's from 2003, so I guess that's why. I was really into working out, and barre, and bought a lot of stuff...I even bought their barre! Maybe I'll try it soon, and can let you know what it's like.
How's your hubby's job going?

SB, it must be nice to have your sister come visit. Mine passed away quite a few years ago, and I miss her.

Goodness knows I need to do something different. Yesterday after dinner was a Leslie 1 mile, so far today just the treadmill, but I have done 1:07 in three splits.

Happy weekend from me too!

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-20, 09:01 PM  
patchworkpenguin

SB, I think its just seasonal allergies, its the right time. We did get flu shots last week so that might be helping Glad you had a nice visit with your sister.

Terri, I remembered Cardio Barre, but never got a dvd, I'm sure that's where I got the idea. I was hoping to find something similar on YT. He says its stressful but he's getting the hang of it. He's going out of his way to learn things and people are paying attention. He can't transfer for a year but he's already gotten offers for other departments. Yay Hubby!

I'm not as sore as I expected but when I woke up I wasn't sore at all and now at the end-ish of today I'm stiff, even after my workout. I did clean house today plus dusting, make an apple crisp, hard boil eggs {I actually bake them in the oven} and made a bunch of crockpot chicken for chicken salad for lunches on our off days.

So I wanted an easy workout that would get me up and moving. I started with Burn to the Beat's Latin Sizzle followed by Up to the Beat's Dance that Walk #3. I could really feel the stiffness in my legs while doing kickbacks.

We plan to get back to bushwhacking tomorrow. Hubby got up early today to go to the lumberyard to get more supplies, but they are closed on Sat and Sunday. We didn't know that so nothing constructive can happen until Monday. :P So we plan on tearing down the fence on the other side.

Old 10-04-20, 08:32 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

Yesterday I did a 47 minute walk and that was it. I am planning a walk today and I really want to add some PBL in. I should do the PBL as soon as I'm done here so it doesn't get pushed aside. We've been chilly too lately. I actually had to wear a jacket during my walk the other day. It's nice and sunny though.

TERRI, the walking is all I do sometimes too. It's good that we're moving even though it may not seem like much. Awww sorry about your sister. It's just my sister and I left, our parents and brother are gone, so I try to keep in touch. Fortunately she only lives one town away but when I was working so much it was hard to get together so I make the effort now.

PENGUIN, you got a lot done around the house so that must feel good. I was wondering how hubby was doing, glad he's getting noticed. He's a hard worker. Good luck with your fence tearing.

Waves to all. Have a good one!