Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-16, 04:11 PM  
mlroman

I'm so sorry for your pain. (((*hugs*)))

Still just bein' a mel...
mlroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 04:12 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop View Post
My dear Alta,

Please do not be hard on yourself and give yourself permission to mourn your friends. Life is full of ups and downs. It normal to feel the way you do.

I just lost my beloved dad 6 months ago. 6 months before that I lost my father in law. Sadness is normal and everyone mourns in their own way. I have those life issues too. Life just happens. Sometimes the crap happens all at once.

When I'm feeling beaten down I try to do something positive. Anything, even just counting my blessings. Exercise is good for us in so many ways. Pull out those vintage workouts that just make you smile. Never mind about results.
It's okay to have do nothing days. Try to get out with friends.

When I'm having a really tough day I turn off the news. I don't need the world's troubles. If you can't work through things on your own, I agree, some times talking to a therapist can help.

(hugs)

I am so sorry to hear about your dad's passing (and your FIL). (HUGS)
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 04:19 PM  
mtngoat

Alta, I'm so sorry for the loss of your friends. {{Hugs}}

I've been in a all-encompassing slump lately too. I have found yoga to be helpful - I have taken it way down and am doing Travis Eliot's Foundations and Basics. I have seen you recommend Jane Adams, so you may already be doing that. As others have said, walking outside is helpful too. Either with a friend, or with a really uplifting playlist of favorite music.

You have gotten some good advice here - I wish I had more to add. Take care.

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 04:32 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Alta, sorry for your losses and grief. May I recommend silly workouts. When I was being treated for breast cancer and trying not to believe I'd been served with a death warrant, I did a Yoga Booty Ballet rotation, which actually cheered me up.
monterey vidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 04:35 PM  
BunnyHop

I've been in a bit of a slump lately too, but am not sure how to undo it.
My usual checklist of self care:
Good habits of sleep and nutrition
Being active
Making some time to be contemplative/thoughtful/spiritual, in whatever way seems likely to either lift my spirits, calm me down or just quiet my mind. Exercise, meditation, study, cooking something that intrigues me, etc. Different things for different situations on any given day.

One general sort of habit-breaker that I find helpful is to review what I've been doing. For example, when I'm cleaning house and decluttering, I try to keep going until I've managed to do the thing I wanted to achieve then tidied away afterwards so things really LOOK nice. If that means I tackle a smaller job just so I make sure to get it completely done, then so be it. The visual aspect doesn't always occur to me, so it's an extra level of attentiveness that helps me achieve what I really want (a tidy home that looks nicely put together)
Old 05-30-16, 04:55 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I've worked out very consistently for over 36 years.

Lately, while I still do *something*, it is harder and harder to get any ambition to work out. I'm sad over the recent deaths of two dear friends. There are also the usual life issues that wear one down. What author Jon Kabat-Zinn refers to as "The Full Catastrophe."

Advice (and hugs) accepted gratefully and gracefully.

Any other slumpers can join in!
(((Alta))) I'm so sorry for your losses.

I really had to dig dip after the loss of my mom and brother back in Sept. It's still really hard, emotionally, and even typing this is making me boo hooey.

What I did is something completely out of my comfort zone. I signed up for Ashley Horner's 10 week Transform challenge in hopes that it would keep me totally focused on a zone. I'm completing my 3rd in a week. I also recently signed up for two virtual charity runs. I always wanted to run a 5k, but the thought of driving to one, and running with a bunch of people with the end result a medal, never appealed to me, but running where I wanted to and on my time, and running or competing for a cause really enticed me. I finished my first, which was a 5k and the proceeds going toward battered women and children. The second, which I did this morning, was the Murph Challenge. The proceeds go towards paying the college tuitions for the children of fallen service men and women.

I have to say that the accomplishments that I've achieved since I committed these challenges to myself have helped so much. It is slowly tearing away the emotional pain, not only from my losses, but from life in general, and is helping build up my self esteem.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 05:30 PM  
dmlarue1

Hi!
I am sorry for your losses. It is so hard to lose a loved one. After the death of my dad, all I did was outside walking and yoga. It made me feel better. At that point I needed to let go of my goals and just move daily to decrease the depression. Try to keep exercising even if its gentle, it will help
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 05:37 PM  
Chomper

My sympathies and hugs to so many here who have lost loved ones and facing tough life challenges. I would suggest widening the category of workout activities to include self-care things like bubble baths, massages, nice walks in pleasant surroundings, time with friends, games, or whatever activities or hobbies are fun or appealing to try. Playfulness is a very underrated stress reliever. Count those as workouts because they are a positive step you are taking for yourself when it's hard to enjoy yourself when grieving and stressed.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 05:44 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

((((((Hugs to Alta)))))) You've been through a lot. Give yourself a rest - either doing nothing at all or something gentle that feels good. Jane Adams is an excellent idea!

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 05:57 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

I'm sorry for your losses.

Maybe try something totally different- walking outside, perhaps going to the nearest large body or water, river, creek, etc. once or twice a week. Or mountain, forest, whatever nature nurtures you.

One other recommendation, maybe try out some water aerobics classes. The ones I go to are at least intermediate, and can be made more difficult.

A change of pace or location might help you- and maybe more mentally than exercise wise.

When i can't face workouts, I sometimes ride my bike, walk, and even do really short youtube workouts, but not all at once. I'll get in 40-60 minutes over the course of the day.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grief, loss, slump