Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-19-20, 03:52 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

ALERT - Phishing email from Amazon

I received what appeared to be a phishing email from Amazon. it said a purchase I made was declined. Rather than clicking on the link, I independently went to my amazon account and found no pending orders.

the email looks very convincing, but if you look closely, you can find inconsistencies. it didn't say what was ordered. I forwarded it to the real Amazon.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-20, 04:05 PM  
sherry7899

Thanks for the warning. We sell on Amazon, and we constantly get phishing emails saying that they need various information to verify our seller account, or that our seller account is getting suspended unless we provide more information. They have all been fake.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-20, 04:23 PM  
bfit

I got a voice mail on my work phone today that was supposedly from Amazon. They asked me to press 1 if I wanted to decline an order. Sounds like part of the same scam.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-20, 04:39 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I got a voice mail on my work phone today that was supposedly from Amazon. They asked me to press 1 if I wanted to decline an order. Sounds like part of the same scam.
we've had IT security training at work, and it mentioned how easy it is for someone to change how their caller ID appears to a victim, such as changing the name to "Internal Revenue Service" or another intimidating name to get you to respond!

The telecom industry is trying to do something about it to prevent phone scams.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 02-19-20, 04:57 PM  
CharM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I was just about to mention that. Some people are receiving phone calls that say, "“You are now a Prime member of Amazon.com. If you have not made a transaction kindly talk to our customer care executive by pressing one. Thank you." I hate scammers.

I've already told my parents to not answer the phone if they don't recognize the number, but I'm going to have to warn them about this particular scam.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-20, 05:16 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I always get emails saying my account info needs to be updated at Amazon and my account has been suspended. I just delete them. Just click on the sender and you can tell it’s not from Amazon.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-20, 05:28 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Just click on the sender and you can tell it’s not from Amazon.
This. Lately I've been receiving emails from "Apple Support" telling me my account has been locked for security reasons and to unlock it I need to update my information. Yeah, right. I wasn't born yesterday. When I click on sender, it's very clear that it's not from Apple but it's phishing. Besides, there never is anything wrong with my account. Scammers.
Old 02-19-20, 05:36 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
This. Lately I've been receiving emails from "Apple Support" telling me my account has been locked for security reasons and to unlock it I need to update my information. Yeah, right. I wasn't born yesterday. When I click on sender, it's very clear that it's not from Apple but it's phishing. Besides, there never is anything wrong with my account. Scammers.
I got one of these too, and I knew it was bogus because I don't have any Apple products, much less an Apple account! punks...

Old 02-19-20, 05:53 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

My favorite scam was when I still had the landline and I got a phone call from "Microsoft support" via India telling me there was something wrong with my "windows pc" and they needed to fix it for me. I lied that I don't have a PC with Microsoft windows on it, so after a short pause, the guy says well, what computer DO you have, because that's the one that has the problem. I busted out laughing and hung up. Oh, and getting rid of the landline is the best thing I've ever done.
Old 02-19-20, 06:28 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
Oh, and getting rid of the landline is the best thing I've ever done.
I get those sort of calls and voicemail on my cell. in those cases, I block their number.

in the "old" days, my mom got a call on her landline from a salesman mentioning that she needed her windows replaced. to which she said "how do you know? I live in a basement with no windows" (a lie). LOL. he had no response because he couldn't prove otherwise.

Tags
phishing email, spoofing email