Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-02-20, 12:32 PM  
Leonana

I tried 90 ounces when I was pregnant, and it made me sick. You can drink too much water, so be careful. I've read that vegetables and fruits also count as water intake, so I think I'm good around 64 ounces of water.

This is from Healthline:

Quote:
Do Other Fluids Count Towards Your Total?

Plain water is not the only drink that contributes to your fluid balance. Other drinks and foods can have a significant effect.

One myth is that caffeinated drinks, such as coffee or tea, don’t help you hydrate because caffeine is a diuretic.

In fact, studies show that the diuretic effect of these beverages is very weak (22Trusted Source).

Most foods are also loaded with water. Meat, fish, eggs and especially fruits and vegetables all contain significant amounts of water.

For more ideas, check out this article on 19 water-rich foods.

Together, coffee or tea and water-rich foods can help maintain your fluid balance.
But it also said that it varies from person to person, as to how much you need.
Old 02-02-20, 01:51 PM  
Vantreesta

Sherry, you're right that there is water intoxication that causes electrolyte/sodium imbalances but I've never had any issues with this even on days that I might exceed 100 oz. I don't eat many fruits and vegetables like I should and I eat too much salt and sugar. I drank 90 oz again yesterday and still woke up thirsty.

That is interesting about the caffeine though. Most days all I drink other than water is 8 oz of coffee with creamer, 6-8 oz of chamomile tea and sometimes 8 oz of matcha green tea.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-20, 05:15 PM  
Leonana

It definitely said it varied from person to person. And experts don't even agree on it exactly. I just remembered that it scared me at the time, I was glad the effect was temporary.
Old 02-02-20, 05:16 PM  
Miss Scarlett

I'm so glad to be with you all again!😊
Old 02-02-20, 05:19 PM  
Leonana

Hi, Scarlett! It's great to "see" you here.
Old 02-02-20, 06:48 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cher View Post

Vannie - Good luck with your challenge. I Have only just started getting my 64 oz of water so I’ll never be able to get 80 oz. . I bought a 32 oz. water bottle with the times of the day on it. It has helped me tremendously to get my water! I got it last Sunday and everyday this week I drank all my water. It shows how much water to drink by each hour, then refill it again about 2:00 and do the same with the second set of times.
I copied part of Cher's post so you could read about her new water bottle.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 02-03-20, 09:16 AM  
Catahoula Cate

Sherry, Thanks for sharing the info about coffee. I always drink a full glass of water when I first get up but after that, I love my morning coffee! I would give up chocolate before I gave up coffee. I agree about certain foods adding to hydration. In the summertime, we eat tons of watermelon. Vannie, I don't eat as many fruits and veggies as I should either. I think part of it is living in a northern climate, it's just hard to get decent fresh produce certain times of year.

MT and Vannie, I have a friend that for the longest time, all she drank was diet soda, no water or anything else. She got really dehydrated one day and fainted in a parking lot while she was out shopping and ended up in the emergency room from hitting her head. She was very lucky and made some changes after that.

Scarlett, love seeing you here!

Quit sitting!! Joints and muscles love motion!

Do The Next Thing!
Catahoula Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 06:21 PM  
Leonana

Katie, that does sound scary, only drinking diet soda. I'm glad she made some changes!

I tend to sip on water all day long. Even at night, my mouth gets dry. I snore some, lol. I guess being in the desert, I get thirsty a lot. I always have a water bottle with me.
Old 02-03-20, 07:49 PM  
Vantreesta

It's pretty rare for me to get in a car without my trusty water bottle. If we're strictly staying in town I might not take it but if there's any chance we're going anywhere else it comes along. It's kind of funny, hubby sometimes gives me a hard time about it but a couple times running errands he says oh shoot, no water?

Old 02-03-20, 08:52 PM  
MathTeacher

I almost always have my water with me. It says "Home Body" on it.