Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-19-20, 06:35 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
I get those sort of calls and voicemail on my cell. in those cases, I block their number.
I rarely get scam/solicitors calls on my cell phone and when I do I also block their number.
Old 02-19-20, 06:57 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

There's actually a rather clever phone scam going on where you get a robocall supposedly from the SSA (Social Security Administration) according to your caller ID (which, as mentioned, is easy to "spoof" and make it appear the call is coming from SSA when it is not). The clever part is the robocall says your SSN has been suspended and to press 1 to continue. Nothing new there except if the person actually presses 1, the call gets routed to an actual SSA field office and the field office answers with you (and the silent scammer) both on the line. The scammer hopes the SSA employee will ask you for identifying info because the scammer has essentially set up a 3-way call and is listening in. Crazy.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-20, 07:02 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
There's actually a rather clever phone scam going on where you get a robocall supposedly from the SSA (Social Security Administration) according to your caller ID (which, as mentioned, is easy to "spoof" and make it appear the call is coming from SSA when it is not). The clever part is the robocall says your SSN has been suspended and to press 1 to continue. Nothing new there except if the person actually presses 1, the call gets routed to an actual SSA field office and the field office answers with you (and the silent scammer) both on the line. The scammer hopes the SSA employee will ask you for identifying info because the scammer has essentially set up a 3-way call and is listening in. Crazy.
Wow! That IS crazy! It explains why my DH recently received email from SSA advising of scams and saying that their office will NEVER call him.
Old 02-19-20, 09:10 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I’ve gotten all those calls and emails, too. I have all calls from numbers not in my Contact list go straight to voice mail.
Joni O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-20, 07:43 AM  
Rhonda

I was getting the apple support call everyday and my hubby pick up the phone and yelled at them. I never picked it up and just kept getting vmails. since he did that I haven't had a call.

I don't answer my phone unless I know who it is. figure if it is something important and I don't answer they will leave a message. 99% of the time the message is garbage.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-20, 09:12 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
I don't answer my phone unless I know who it is.
Unfortunately, scammers have gotten so clever that I've received several phone calls from numbers I do know and it still was a scam. Once I received a call on my landline from MY OWN CELL PHONE NUMBER. The phone was sitting next to me and I sure as heck wasn't calling myself. Answering calls only from a number you know is not fool proof either.
Old 02-20-20, 09:19 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I get dozens of these types of emails and phone calls weekly. It's insane. I kept getting an email from my bank telling me there was fraudulent activity and my account was suspended.

CharM, I used to tell my mother not to answer the phone period. With the fake caller IDs they use, your parents might think they know the caller when they really don't. I got calls from my husband's cell phone number with his name on the caller ID so I picked it up and it wasn't him! Crazy.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-20, 09:32 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
My favorite scam was when I still had the landline and I got a phone call from "Microsoft support" via India telling me there was something wrong with my "windows pc" and they needed to fix it for me. I lied that I don't have a PC with Microsoft windows on it, so after a short pause, the guy says well, what computer DO you have, because that's the one that has the problem. I busted out laughing and hung up. Oh, and getting rid of the landline is the best thing I've ever done.
My husband works in IT, and when we received this phone call my husband talked to the guy for about 30 minutes acting like he was really concerned about our computer. Obviously he wasn't, he was just messing with the scammer. He would act like he didn't know how to do the instructions the scammer was giving him, and basically frustrated the scammer. He wanted to waste the scammer's time so he couldn't try to scam someone else.
Old 02-20-20, 09:39 AM  
muggle

So I can only assume that all the "princes" in foreign countries that want to send us money have all gotten married off and this is the new thing. People have WAY too much time on their hands to come up w/ this crap!! I recently got the Fed Ex Delivery scam.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-20, 10:34 AM  
desderata

I got an email from Amazon that an order was declined ( I interpreted this as refused to accept- so wouldn't show under my recent orders) because the information provided was not consistent with the information they had on file. I assumed it was a scam, but checked for the credit card I have on file at Amazon, and it was gone. I somehow lost it. So I think it may have been real. I still didn't press the link.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phishing email, spoofing email