Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-18-20, 04:33 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hello.......

My son and I have seen a few colleges now, but not many. After I went whole hog with the first son I realized we should wait and see where #2 was admitted. Our next visit is to Wooster, OH, in the middle of nowhere. I suspect he will like it for that, but also maybe not like it for that, because no kidding.... on the top 10 things to do in Wooster's yelp list is "visit the cemetery". Hmmmmm!!! It's my older son who may likely, hopefully, transfer to Madison in the fall, Anita. Sure hope he gets in -- he was admitted once, so hopefully they don't hold it against him (that he didn't go then).

Hurrah for hips feeling better!! Paula, I can imagine the step work could make me sore!

Laura, good work increasing your instant pot usage. I use it mostly for hard boiled eggs and ribs, but I just saw a recipe for a pork shoulder pulled pork that looks really good. I want to try that. My husband stumbled across a guy on youtube named The Cooking Guy -- I think that's it. We have already made a couple of his recipes -- really good.

This morning I did Cathe's Cardio Party again -- fun! -- and I'm about to go for a walk with my friend, I think. Sorry to say it to those with the bad weather, but we are having some gorgeous weather this week. It's a little nuts, really.
Old 02-18-20, 09:00 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B's Chair Cardio and Strength followed by the PT routine. I'll do the PT again before bed.

Anita, hope the snow wasn't too deep and the shoveling wasn't difficult. It's smart of you to attend these senior open houses. Glad your hip is feeling better. I'm going to just keep doing the PT routine until the pain is completelly gone. An intant pot is an electric pressure cooker - they are popular right now.

Bee, I don't recall anyone taking me around to colleges. I just went to the local community college then transfered to the State University. There were several State University's near me, can't remember why I chose the one I did. It all worked out. Now getting into college seems to be a lot more involved.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-20, 08:12 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on working with bats at the WRC this morning. Yesterday was a busy day! I did shovel about 3-4" of snow, but it was light. Unfortunately my hip hurt afterwards, but the PT was able to help relieve the pain. Kind of a literal pain in the hip to deal with stuff that didn't bother me before. Gus got his walk and I did do the tour of the senior housing. Didn't get much done at work with people registrations as I had to make tickets for Saturday's show.

Bee, it is kind of cool to see Madison nowadays, but the campus has grown a lot since I was there - lots of new buildings! I did like the campus as it was survivable without having a car - lots of walking though!

Paula, thanks for explaining Instant Pot. I don't know if that's something I would use a lot around here...

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-20, 08:36 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Leslie Sansone Pilates You Can Do - Matt Workout followed by the full PT routine. I will try to do the PT rountine again before bed.

Anita, you got a lot done! Pain in the hip seems as though it's going to be a constant companion from now on - bummed about that. We had lunch today with friends. We're all retired now but we all worked on the same campus. We were discussing how much the campus had changed. This is the campus where I got my degrees, I left in the early 80's. Discussing it with people who stayed much longer than I, don't know if I would recognize much if I went back for a visit.
Old 02-19-20, 08:58 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Anita, what will you do when PT is done? She seems to be helping you, but I don't know that you can see her forever. You wanted a scan, yes?

Bee, Meso 1 legs? The one where you jump onto a step with about four risers? I used to love those workouts. My knees couldn't handle them now. I hope your son finds the perfect college fit for him.

Today I did an upper body workout dvd, the first in over a year. I've done total body dvd's, such as PHA or metabolic, but I had avoided upper body because I knew I'd have to substitute for some exercies and use lighter weights. I did a workout I'd never done before: Stacked Sets Upper. It came out last year right after my injury. I liked it! Even with the substitutions, it worked well. It's also part of Cathe's LITE series so she was using lighter weights than usual. Because of that, I was able to match her weight for the most part. I'm still doing my customized upper body routine, though.

The sun came out today, but it was chilly. The real problem was the wind. It would have been more comfortable otherwise.

I thought of Mary today. I've been seeing king cakes all over the place. I got one at Fresh Market because theirs is the best (IMO). I wish she'd pop in and say hi.

Waves to Laura and Paula. Everyone have a great evening.
Old 02-20-20, 08:07 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I got a call yesterday that my friend died yesterday afternoon . I will still drive down to Madison to see her kids. Gus is going to boarding at a neighborhood house here - he seems to do well there. In Madison, I'm hoping to see other friends also. I'm not sure how much posting I'll do from the road.

Paula, PT is helping with my hip - at least the frequency of the really high pain levels I had before seem to be rare now and my legs are the same length again. It is weird that PT is required before a MRI is allowed as the MRI is just an image, not a treatment. The only new construction in Madison that I want to stop in and see is their new circus building there - my friends finished building it this summer.

Dede, supposedly I'm allowed 12 PT sessions at this point - it's individual times, not a six week block of time, so some weeks I do one session, others two. I think the PT can recommend continuing to my doctor at the end of these sessions. What she does does help, but not something I can do to myself or exercise into so I'd need to continue there. I miss Mary also - my brother is vacationing and drinking in New Orleans this week .

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-20, 08:46 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Tuesday got away from me. I had a lot of little projects to work on. Then, Tuesday night I felt really bad and yesterday I just couldn't move or function and I sat in my chair all day. I feel a whole lot better today and am wondering what that was.

We have snow in the forecast. They cancelled schools today. Turns out we're not supposed to get any now until tonight. And, it might not be any more than an inch. Oops.

Anita - I'm so sorry about your friend. I hope your trip is as good as it can be under the circumstances and that you get to see friends while you are there.

Dede - It's good you found an upper-body workout you like. How is the water level in your area? It sounds like it's not too bad at this point?

Bee - Sometimes, the best thing with possible colleges is to SEE the reality for yourself. Your son may be able to easily include or eliminate the "middle of nowhere" option once he's seen it. Hopefully, your older son will be easily get in since he was accepted once.

Paula - It's good you got to see friends. Colleges really do change. It's nice to see people who remember it as you do.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-20, 03:45 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Laura, Tuesday's rain didn't create any problems for us. I don't know if the snow will. It's been lightly snowing for hours, but so far, the roads are staying clear. But of course, DH is working today. DS too, but he's on his way home and I don't expect him to have any problems. I can't remember how far you are from Charlotte, but they must have snow since P31 canceled the FB thing again tonight.

Anita, I'm sorry about your friend. Do you think a chiro could do what the PT is doing? I know you said you didn't care for them, but it sounds as if that's what the PT is doing. Adjustments. Whatever you do, I hope you can find a permanent solution.

I'm dragging today, so I haven't worked out yet. I'm planning to do a premix from Legs and Glutes.
Old 02-20-20, 04:07 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hello! Anita, I'm sorry to hear your friend passed before you had a chance to get there. It's so nice of you to go and be there for her kids. When my mom died it was her friends like that who were so comforting and helpful for my sisters and me.

Laura, I hope you're continuing to feel better. I have days like that sometimes where I am just so tired I can't move.

Speaking of that.... I knew I was headed to yoga today and normally I try to do my morning home workout anyway, but today I just stayed in bed extra long..... it was so nice! Yesterday I did ICE upper body. Ddj, I am really loving the LITE series from Cathe -- it's so perfect for me these days -- ICE pretty good too. I like that Stacked Upper Body workout. It feels pretty amazing to match Cathe's weights. Oh, and the STS leg workout I did? No risers! I think that's Meso 3.

Applying for college these days seems so very different than when we did it. So many more options because..... they need so many more. It's so competitive. On the other hand, where we applied to a few schools, kids these days are applying to maybe 20, so of course there's going to be a lot of rejection because everyone is applying everywhere. It's such a racket! The whole thing. Ok, got me started.
Old 02-20-20, 09:34 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. No workout today, had to head out early to deal with boat stuff. We finally out the boat back into the water today, did a sea trial and all looks good. Tomorrow we head to the boat to clean up the dirt and dust from being out of the water for weeks. FIngers crossed we can now start enjoying this boat. finally.

Anita, I'm sorry you weren't able to get back to Madison in time to see your friend before she passed. I am sure her family is grateful for your support. It's always so hard at thei point to know what is the best thing to say and if there's anything you can say that will lend comfort to the family. Glad the PT is helping your hip.

Laura, glad you're feeling well enough to get out and about. I've had a few days when all I wanted to do was veg out. For whatever reason, unless I'm sick, I don't get to sit and binge watch TV - mores the pity.

Bee applying for college now is different than it used to be - far more competitive too. The campus where I worked is a lovely campus but now most majors are impacted and the competition to get accepted makes things far more difficult than they used to be.