Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-15-20, 10:14 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post

As for rotations, I put together a Get Healthy U TV rotation at the first of this month - typed it all up nice and pretty on a calendar. I find that a little easier to stick with, because I can just look down the entire week and switch things around if I have more time on a particular day for a longer workout, or I'm just not motivated to do the workout I've chosen for the day. When I typed up the calendar, I did it with the intention that I could flip days around during the week as needed, without feeling like I completely cheated or went off the rails. So far that has worked for me.

Carol
Carol, sounds like you're putting together your own rotations in GHUTV rather than using their calendars? I'm too lazy to do that, although I too switch days and workouts around based on the time I have and my mood. Next week, I'm thinking of following loosely either Beginner to Buff Calendar or the LIFT calendar for 4 weeks. We'll see how that goes.
Old 01-15-20, 10:40 AM  
cherimac

I'm here! Yeah, it's a challenge with Blackberry, but she's so very sweet that it helps. She loves to cuddle and sleeps on my lap a lot~all 40 plus pounds of her.

I'm still doing Pilates movements on my own. I will probably do that this week and then transition back to TBL and PN more next week. I think it reminds me of Tucker being beside me, while my own thing doesn't.

Brenda~oh, a cat in heat is FAR worse, according to my son. I'm glad that's not what's going on.

Carol~I can't do PBL anymore. I just prefer the actual Pilates movement from Smriti and Robin, Smriti being my favorite.
Old 01-15-20, 11:14 AM  
furmomof6

Hello,

Walk
Shaped by Faith: Upper Body

That one was definitely more total body, combining upper with lower body.

Cheri, I'm glad things are going well with Blackberry! I completely understand about a routine being too difficult because of the memories. Don't rush yourself back into it. ((HUGS))

Dana, glad you're feeling better and back to working out!

Carol, I agree with you on the dread factor, and not wanting to work that hard, especially if it's not total body.

Donna, glad CS is helping with your back and hips!

Waves!!

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 06:57 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today was Essentrics - Day 4 - Release and Rebuild your Fascia. These are not all that different from other CS workouts - so I think all along we have been working our Fascia, LOL! But, I do feel good from doing these workouts.....so onward!

Yesterday I did Jessica V - Low Impact HIIT as planned - and one thing I think I'm learning is that my body just does not like using weights for squats. I may have to go body weight for those - it seems to really compress my lower back to use weights - lunges seem ok w/ weights - but squats, not so much.

I also managed to add on in the evening one of Jessica Smith's Walk & Talk workouts on You Tube. I did the one about Stress Reduction. These are really good for when you want extra steps but don't want to workout per se - and it is either too dark or too cold or too "something" to walk outside. I did it in my PJs barefoot and it did increase my step count.

Cheri - Blackberry sounds very sweet. And, I agree, a dog in heat is better than a cat! I had a cat once that went into heat, too. That was worse.

Christine - did you have a nice warm day yesterday? It was nice here - I think we're getting into some cold weather for the weekend - although I think our "snow" is going to be rain.

Dana - I also need to keep moving!

Carol - way to go on the long workout. I do like Jessica V - I ended up subscribing for 3 months. I probably should have just renewed my yearly subscription when it came up for renewal but I let it lapse thinking I would do Trifecta instead. I do like Beth and Trifecta, but I think I prefer Jessica - I do like to mix things up more and Jessica offers more variety in that she includes some traditional weight work, barre, etc. I also like that her stuff is pretty time efficient - for me it is much easier to talk myself into doing a 20 minute workout than a 30 or 40 minute workout....I will do some Trifecta workouts, too since i paid in advance for the year - thankfully I got a discount - her site is way too pricey at regular price. I also like Jessica's calendar which is the same every month in terms of format - but the variety of adding cardio, HIIT, etc. is good for me. I think I could probably achieve some of the same benefits with Pahla B - time efficient workouts - but no Pilates there...maybe mixing the two. some of Jessica's "HIIT" stuff is not my cup of tea and i could sub in some of Pahla's.

Hope everyone has a good day - I will attempt a walk outside today although it looks like it is going to be quite windy. May have to stick w/ an indoor walk tonight.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 07:06 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Wednesday's workout was

Pilates Nest - Thighs & Booty - 15 minutes
I enjoyed this workout - it was sufficiently challenging without being overkill. I didn't have much time because....

I spent the evening at the laudromat. No sign of the repairman. Sadly, whether this is his fault or the company's fault, I will not use him again.

Dana - yes, I had too much time on my hands over the Christmas/New Year's break, so I took one of their calendars and added in some variety, sticking mostly with walking workouts and beginning strength workouts. I'm a bit of a variety junkie. So far I've managed to stick pretty close to my plan, except for moving a few workouts around depending on my schedule.

Cheri - I understand about PBL. I want to like and do her workouts, but most of them are just overkill for me. Reminds me of Tracy Anderson workouts with better cuing. Oh wait, any cuing would be better than Tracy's. I understand too about the memories. My little Sophie girl used to love for me to put her up on my bed while I exercised, and my Bunny girl loved to come lick me if I was on the floor.

Christine - nice workout! I'm assuming that that workout was more of a traditional strength workout?

Waves to Linda, Brenda and Donna. They are predicting freezing rain here today - I will be irritated if it causes my massage appointment to be cancelled.

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 08:19 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I had a mug of chamomile tea last night and I slept so soundly that I overslept! I woke up right before 7am and normally by then I'm done with my workouts.

I have to go to the office this morning, so I have no time to workout now. Hopefully I'll do something when I get home. It's going to be HIGH of 20F. My kind of weather. It'll kill off the germ that are around - however temporarily.

Carol, I think I'll combine the 2 calendars and I'll follow them losely for 4 weeks starting on Sunday. I need to work on my strength.

Waves to all!
Old 01-16-20, 01:06 PM  
furmomof6

Hello,

Walk
Shaped by Faith: Pilates for the Soul

This was the DVD workout. It's very fast paced and challenging! I like it, but prefer her streaming workouts.

Carol, I'm sorry your washer still isn't fixed! Yes, the upper body workout was traditional. It actually left me quite tired and wiped out as the day went on. I don't like that feeling, and will most likely not do that one again.

Donna, yes! It was nice and sunny. Today is colder, and windy. Our weekend snowstorm got downgraded to 1-3 inches, so we'll see what happens!

Waves to Linda , Cheri, Dana and Brenda! Hope Cheryl is doing okay!

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 06:41 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

My mind and body needed a break from Essentrics today so I did Ellen's new Barre Conditioning workout. I really enjoyed it - she did not over do anything.

Yesterday I got a walk in at work (even though it was windy) and in the evening I did Gina B's disco walk (You Tube) and Jessica Valent's Pilates for better sleep (which was essentially 10 min of stretching).

Dana - I will have to try drinking some chamomile tea to help me sleep!

Christine - I know what you mean - I don't like that feeling either. The little bit of weight work I did on Wednesday left me really feeling achey. I know that resistance work is supposedly good for you -but I'm on a quest to find other ways to get stronger.

Carol that is just awful about the washer! How long has it been???

Waves - glad it is Friday and a long weekend, too.

Donna
Old 01-17-20, 07:12 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Good morning all ~ Thursday's workouts were

Get Healthy U TV: Walk & Tone Express - 20 minutes;
Pilates Nest - Tone & Open Band Workout - 32 minutes
The Get Healthy U TV workout is one I've done before - 4 intervals of approximately 5 minutes each - 2 walking and 2 toning. There is a little bit of floor work at the end. It's a good one for when you don't have much time. The Pilates Nest workout with the band may be my favorite of hers. It makes me feel really good when I'm done, plus I got to use my favorite pilates band. My dog had stolen and ruined my previous favorite band, so this was the first time to use its replacement. I put it back in its case so the dog couldn't snatch this one.

Donna - I figured that Ellen's Barre workout would be nice. I'm signed up for Bar Method's Challenge that starts on Monday and am looking forward to it. As for the washing machine - it's been since before Christmas. With this particular repairman, it's been since right before New Year's. My patience, sadly, is gone. That's too bad about the resistance work you did leaving you feeling crappy. I've just had to lower the amount of weight I lift - down to 3's and 5's mainly, with an occasional 8 lb weight in there.

Christine - I think I had that DVD at some point, but it probably didn't click with me.

Dana - That's kind of what I did - combining calendars. I think I looked at several and picked off workouts that looked good to me. Glad you slept well. That would be wonderful!

Cheri - Smriti is my favorite as well. And I've tried a lot of them.

Waves to Brenda and Cheryl. Happy 3 day weekend ahead ~

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 08:40 AM  
donnamp

Wow, Carol - that is a long time w/ out a washer!

I'm not sure what it is w/ me and traditional weight workouts - but they generally don't agree with me and I usually feel off in some part of my body afterwards. But, I'm also concerned about aging and losing muscle - but I wonder if doing body weight stuff and some light weight training would be good enough? Ah, the dilemma

Honestly, I could probably just do Ellen and steady state cardio and be happy! But then the nagging questions of "is that enough" start up and I look for something else to do!

Donna