Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-13-16, 10:04 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Suzy, I am so sorry for your the loss of your loved ones and for your health problems. I am glad Classical Stretch has been helping you and hope you continue to feel better.

I have a few DVDs that you can have if you are interested. Someone recommended Zyrka Landwijt's Gentle Yoga. I have never used it but it's yours if you want. There is a breathing practice on there which sounds like it would be good for stress. I also have Yoga for Stress Relief and Flexibility with Ashley Turner which might fit the bill. PM me if you would like me to send them to you.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-16, 03:08 PM  
suzy
VF Supporter

Thank you all for your support and suggestions. I appreciate all of your kind words. And I've looked at every one of your suggestions. I had forgotten about some and hadn't heard of others.

Pat58, I think I may have heard of Mirabai Holland, but I don't remember ever checking out her workouts. They look great for what I'm dealing with now.

Jenilu, I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with some issues. YouTube is great. I do like Erin Motz and Yoga with Adriene. I'll have to look into their beginner ones. Something relaxing with just enough cat/cows or down dogs to add a little bit of strength is what I'm looking for.

beyond.omega, thank you so much for researching. I subscribe to ETV and didn't know the DVD locator existed. That will help. Classical Stretch has been perfect, but I do want to add some weight bearing for my upper body. It will have to be subtle for now.

lreidgreen, thank you so much for your generous offer. I at least used to have Ashley Turner's DVD. I think I might have it packed away. I'm going to look for it.
suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-16, 07:14 PM  
lorajc

Barbara Beneath has a lot of stress relief beginner type of yoga. Wanted to get that out before I forgot. My goodness...yove been thru quite the ordeal. I wouldnt be myself if I didn't take this opportunity to gush about Kundalini Yoga also. The breath work and holding of poses is actually very relaxing and it leaves me feeling so good after a session....my husband and I are both hooked on it. I'd say a good place to start there would be with Ravi and Ana Dr Yoga House Call and Quick Fixes...where you can start with as short as 10 mins of practice...modify...go slower if needed........as I do.....and build your practice as you go. These are really good DVDs for that. You can read reviews on Amazon.

Also...if you send me you Addy...i have an extra copy of AM PM yoga by Ravi and ANa I will send you if you can send me an envelope with postage if you like.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-16, 07:36 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy View Post
beyond.omega, thank you so much for researching. I subscribe to ETV and didn't know the DVD locator existed. That will help. Classical Stretch has been perfect, but I do want to add some weight bearing for my upper body. It will have to be subtle for now.
Your welcome. I just checked the selector, and it recommends the CS Barre workout for strength with limited mobility (including for the arms). While I have never done this workout, I have gotten a lot of benefit from other barre workouts. And it looks like you can get it on the ETV. (I may have just enabled myself on this DVD. )

Good luck Suzy!
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-16, 08:44 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

(((suzy))) my condolences on your losses. prayers to you and your family.

I've been meditating, which has resulted in much success in the stress relief department, and lots of yin yoga over the past month or so. I do yin yoga every night before bed, either Paul Grilley or Mark Laham. for meditation, I found several CDs at the library, including meditation for dummies (with CD) and self hypnosis for dummies (w/CD), jack kornfield, Sharon salzberg, Andrew weil (breathwork and many others), and Dr. Mehmet & Lisa Oz - - - all CDs w/guided meditations.

again, my condolences to you.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-16, 10:31 AM  
JENILU

Your welcome! <3 I hope something here might help a little. {{{HUG}}}

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-16, 11:39 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I am so sorry to hear about everything you've been going through... I wanted to second/third the suggestions for Barbara Benagh -- almost anything she's put out on DVD with Bodywisdom is a good choice. Wonderful practices that move at a deliberate pace, excellent instruction. Rodney Yee's AM Yoga for Beginners is another solid DVD on this front. Godspeed... Stay strong and don't forget to take care of yourself while taking care of others.
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 02:14 PM  
Sophie

Hugs to you, Suzy. My condolences on such profound losses in such a short time.
I second everyone's suggestions for Y4SR with Barbara Benagh, which is one of the best all around DVD's I know to equally address relaxation and strengthening. Her narration and voice are also very soothing.

Jill Miller's DVDs, like Yoga Tuneup, is very solid material for strengthening, and can be modified if you're coming back from a long break, BUT her personality is not for everbody. It's worth checking out on Youtube first.

I'm glad Classical stretch is working for you, I would have suggested it if you hadn't already said you were using it. If you feel like you need more strength, I have found that Sahra's Essentrics series increases the intensity a bit.

Wishing you continued strength and resilience, and please keep us updated on how you're doing.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote