Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Getting Started with Videos > Beginners FAQ

Old 03-06-02, 02:04 AM  
Nicole

Susan actually demonstrates how to do the moves without a step, in the 2 other videos (Abs, Butts & Thighs and Lean, Strong and Healthy) of hers that I have she generally has one or two participants in the class who do the whole routine off the step. Her big thing is to modify, so if you're tired and can't do anymore of the moves on the step or if you don't have a step then it's no problem.. You don't need one! I think all exercise instructors have their own little quirks that can be grating to some and background amusement to others. For days when I'm not feeling too friendly with susan I just turn her down to the point where I can here her but not the background music (cuz it's not that loud anyways) and play my own music instead so I can hear her instructions when needed but also tune her out if I feel like zoning. But definitely do rent videos from the library, this is such a wonderful opportunity to view videos without being tied down to them! I have about 6 videos from my library sitting on top of my VCR right now. Lemme just say it's amazing how much Gay Gasper has changed since doing her step video with LaToya Jackson and how she is in Fat Burning For Dummies. Although one thing I noticed is she still touches the top of her head when she wants to take it from the top. I guess that's one of her little video quirks!
Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-02, 06:04 AM  
nappentass

Another tip worth repeating

I've only done Step in live class and the one point the instructor drummed into us was
"make sure your foot is fully on the step"
which I think is well worth repeating, as I found out the hard way when I was busy watching the instructor and missed my footing and fell over

Hope this helps
nappentass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-02, 07:09 AM  
kimlav
VF Supporter

Step Reebok - the Video

I would highly recommend Step Reebok, the Video as a good solid learning video. The steps are very basic but you will get a good workout in. Previewing a video at least once before doing it is, as the others have mentioned, essential when learning a new video tape.

Keep at it, you'll get it.

Kim
kimlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-02, 07:20 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Talking Practice, Practice, Practice!!!

Haven't I heard that before???

I started stepping a LONGGGGggggggg time ago... I started with Joannie Greggains, Cathe, Jane Fonda, Charlene Prickett. Just do it over and over and over again.

It's amazing that the steps (even among instructors), are all the same... (to a degree!) You can only change them with your own style so much and one begins to seem like another.... so keep practicing.

The muscles have "muscle memory" and you will get it and you will be able to do it in your sleep eventually!

Another tip I find useful is TO COUNT.... everything is done in the 4, 8 or 16 count... so I try to count as I do it. 1-2-3-4. Charlene was excellent, as she does the steps over and over and over again. Lots of repetition and says, "Don't worry, you'll get it!" and you do! If you can't follow, get mixed up, JUST DO BASIC STEPS. Up, down, up down.... give it time!

It's well worth it. And it also taught me how to master hi/lo. Why? Cuz it finally clicked with me that even hi/lo moves are pretty much the same as step aerobics, just done on the floor without the step. There is hope!

Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-02, 08:27 AM  
Barb L
VF Supporter

To recap some of the excellent suggestions already provided:

--Wear good shoes.
--Watch the video all the way through first.
--Start with the lowest step, or no step.
--Don't try to do the arm movements at first.
--Be sure to put your whole foot on the step.
--Do the workout in sections--10 or 15 minutes at a time.
--Count. Usually, combinations are in 8-count segments.
--Relax. This is supposed to be fun!

My favorite beginner step workouts:
--Gilad on Waikiki (this is in three sections--you can learn one at a time)
--Susan Powter's Burn Fat & Get Fit (To me, her brashness is fun)
--Kathy Smith's Step Workout (this is the one that taught me step)

Oh--and don't forget to come back to VF. We really like to coach--and all of us are always learning.
Old 03-06-02, 08:29 AM  
beospenser

Good beginner step

I, too, really like the original Step Reebok for beginners. the footwork is very basic (and I am completely clumsy!) and the music is this great hip tribal beat that makes the workout very unique. I know some people like Kathy Smith but I found her cueing awful...not enough advance notice of what she was about to do. I know Collage sells Step Reebok...you just have to search for it! It has Gin Miller as the instructor.
beospenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-02, 08:38 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Stepping flummoxed me for a while. . . Even basic up-up-down-down steps, what most people call a "basic step" had me confused. . . I was THINKING too much, it is actually a fairly natural movement once you "get it." --if you can get a copy of Lynne Brick's Buns of Steel 6, Intermediate Step workout, she does an excellent job of getting your feet into the right pattern!

I kept finding myself going UP with the right, UP with the left, then DOWN with the left, DOWN with the right, instead of ALTERNATING feet, with the right leading up, then the right leading down. It seems SO SIMPLE now, aaargh!! --but figuring it out was so frustrating!

And, as other have said, stick to using just the teal part of your step (which makes it 4") at first. Conquer THAT! --then add risers later. And rest assured that many of us who are doing really complex and/or intense routines now, Cathe and Christi lovers, were once staring at our feet in dismay just like you are today!!
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-02, 08:53 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Step Reebok Video

I second Kim's suggestion of the Step Reebok video, the one that used to come with the Reebok Step. At the end of that tape there is a stepping "primer" that teaches each of the basic steps and discusses good and bad technique. This probably won't make anyone's list of "the all-time most fun step videos", but it's a great way to learn proper step technique.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-02, 09:25 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

My Story

I love telling this story because it's so ironic. I did regular aerobics at my club for years. I was really upset when the club started replacing my beloved classes with step. I held off trying step for months, even though I had to re-arrange my schedule to get to the floor aerobic classes.

Well, one day I tried step and absolutely hated it !!! I couldn't figure out why anyone would want to do something so stupid as stepping up and down on a step. I couldn't follow worth a darn, and stormed out of the room halfway through the class. After all, I had become an aerobics 'expert' being able to follow just about anything the hi-lo instructors threw at me.

Knowing I'd better do something or be left in the cold at the club, I bought a Jane Fonda step and video and started practicing at home. Then I bought one of Kathy Smith's early step videos. Pretty soon I was ready for my step debut at the club. I didn't do too badly either !!! I soon became a step 'expert' too (and actually got certified to teach).

Of course, I could have just stuck it out at the club and caught on eventually, but I had my pride to consider! Everyone else had started stepping while I was being too stubborn to give it a try.

Just hang in there. It's take a while to get the hang of it, but you will get the hang of it sooner or later. Good luck.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-02, 06:34 PM  
Charmed

One more tip that I noticed was not mentioned. Be sure to step on HEEL first, step off toe first. I was stepping flatfooted and really hurt my knee. It's heel/toe to step on, toe/heel to step off. Also, I second the vote for Gilad at Waikaiki! It's a great tape and very easy to learn.
Charmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slower step workouts, step, step without a step