Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-20, 09:21 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I ended up taking my Golden out for a walk - we walked slowly and I let her sniff as much as she liked - it was more for getting out than getting exercise. I think she enjoyed it. I have a hard time taking her out as often b/c my Lab, who is getting up there in years, just can't handle the walks any more - so I have to sneak out w/ my Golden so as not to upset my Lab.

Anyway, I also did Jessica Smiths new Stretch DVD - Floor stretch. I really love this routine. I skip the one shoulder stretch that she does that just isn't comfortable for me - but the rest is great.

Today i did:

Charlene Prickett - Get the Fat Off - Cardio Crosstrainer - Step Workout. This is another blast from the past from my VHS collection. I'm so glad I still have a VCR....as this was never put on DVD. It is 30 min of low impact and 30 min of step. I did the step routine today. I have to say, this one has stood the test of time - I enjoyed it in my 30's and now in my 50's....

Yoga w/ Adriene - Yoga for After a Disaster - such an appropriate title for a yoga practice at the end of this crazy year. I appreciate Adriene's sense humor/irony or whatever it was that inspired her to put this one on her December 2020 calendar. Tomorrow's practice is Yoga for New Beginnings which she almost always puts on her calendar for December 31st. I'm still considering doing her new challenge in 2021.

Not sure what else is up for today - I am definitely enjoying my staycation - even though I have had to check on work items, it hasn't been too bad.

Nice workouts, everyone!!!

Dana - I do wonder if the technology that we have available to forecast weather has precluded common sense and just looking outside at the clouds?? I do wonder about that in a lot of fields - where tech says one thing but common sense says something else.....I have heard that where i live is hard to forecast b/c we have mountains on one side and water on the other - so - never sure if stuff coming over the mountains will make it and the water serves to make the temperatures fluctuate...that is what I have heard anyway. I have also heard it is one of the worst places for allergies as well - I think that is true - before moving here I never had allergies. I also think the placement - mid_Atlantic makes it difficult to predict - we are usually right on the dividing line between snow-ice-rain. So the temp being off by a degree or two here makes a big difference as whether we get snow, ice or rain.

Weird.

Waves, everyone!!
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-20, 09:26 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Tuesday's workouts were

Shelley/Fabulous 50s - 10 Minute Fat Burn Morning Routine - 10 minutes;
Pahla B - Full Body Floor Stretching - 20 minutes;
Jessica Valant - 10 Minute Pilates Basics - 10 minutes

all from YouTube. This was the first Fabulous 50s workout I had done - I was looking for a warmup before I did Pahla B's scheduled workout for the day - a floor stretch, rather unusual for her - and this worked nicely. Shelley is Australian and is definitely, to use Pahla B's words, "a woman of a certain age". This workout had music, looks like it was filmed in Shelley's living room in front of a fireplace, is done voice over, and consisted of 5 or 6 low impact moves done for 40 seconds, with 10 seconds of rest in between each move. The circuit was repeated. There was no warmup or cooldown, although videos for an add on arm workout and a stretch were suggested. The pace was not too fast and it was easy to speed it up if you wanted a little more work.

Pahla's stretch was very nice - mostly lower body stretches, but she also included my favorite upper body stretch, thread the needle. Pahla was calm in this video and there was some soothing background guitar music - both a rarity for Pahla's workouts.

Jessica's 10 Minute Basics is from her recent 10 Minute Pilates series, which I liked a lot.

Linda - Lauren's DVDs are pretty expensive for DVDs. Her Shut Up and Train DVD is probably the closest thing to a beginner DVD that she has. Her book is really good for beginners - it lays out a 12 week training program that starts at a beginner level. Lots of photos throughout.

Dana - LOL! I've often thought that being a TV weatherman is a great job - there appears to be no penalty for being wrong. As a lawyer or CPA, can you just imagine if you were wrong as much of the time as they are??

Waves ~

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-20, 02:34 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Well, I just signed up for Jessica Valant's annual membership. I like her PT background and I like the classes she has on youtube. I'm hitting diet and exercise hard in New Year. I can easily mix her workouts with Emma's and it will prevent me from burnout with one instructor. So now, I have 2 annual pilates membership. And I'm worth it!

I'll check in tomorrow! Waves to all!
Old 12-31-20, 09:09 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Yesterday's workout was

Pahla B - Best Life Over 50 (Cardio and Strength Intervals) - 25 minutes

And I took it easy for this one - I used my "light" dumbbells (3's) instead of my mediums (5's).

Big news at my house - I got my first CoVid19 vaccination yesterday! Texas has opened up availability to anyone on the 1B list, which in Texas is those 65 and older, and anyone - ages 18 and up - with one of the CoVid high risk factors. My nurse friend who moonlights for the public health department here tipped me off and since I qualified in the 1B group because of my type 2 diabetes, I raced down to our Civic Center yesterday morning before things got too crowded and got the shot. The entire process took about an hour, including the 15 minute wait after getting the shot - there were lines, but they moved very quickly. It was really well done - so proud of my friends in the public health department! Fair warning - when they tell you that your arm will be sore, they aren't kidding.

Dana - LOL! I am about to do the same thing - I had already signed up for Jessica's site, but I am thinking about adding Emma's as well and calling it good. If Jessica Smith's new program turns out to be digital/online, I would do that one as well, but that should be enough for me for now.

Donna - My dog walks are just motion for my joints, that's it. My son did buy a treadmill yesterday and I suspect I will use it some for real exercise this winter too. There's just something about walking that is good, regardless of how much your heart rate gets up (or doesn't get up).

Waves (with my sore arm) to all ~

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-20, 09:09 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday DD and I ended up walking at the park - it was a pretty nice day - a little windy - but good to get out!

Today, so far, has been:

Pahla B - 25 Min Dumbbell Workout for Women Over 50

Jessica Valent - Pilates Gratitude Workout (she filmed this on Thanksgiving)

I plan to get some yoga in later to round out the day. I will probably do Adriene's Yoga for New Beginnings.

Dana - glad you signed up - I think you will enjoy it. I do find that after her workouts I tend to feel better than when I started so that is always a plus for me.

Carol - Nice workouts - I have yet to try Fabulous 50's..they look nice though.

Waves, Linda and Brenda. I hope Cheri and Christine are doing well and can join us in the new year.

Hope everyone has a good day - Happy New Year!

Speaking of which, I have no idea what my January plan is - I was initially thinking about Pahla B's new challenge and Yoga w/ Adriene - but not sure.. I may still do Yoga w/ Adriene's 30 days of yoga, but I may not be as "strict" with everything else I'm doing. I enjoyed Jessica V's Pilates today so going back to my Jessica & Jessica rotations plus Adriene may win out. I do like Pahla though...too many workouts, too little time. And, then, of course I pulled out all my Charlene Prickett workouts so they are in the mix as well!

Donna
Old 12-31-20, 09:14 AM  
donnamp

Carol - we posted at the same time - glad you got your vaccine! Let us know how you feel....besides the sore arm.

I'm sort of afraid of getting it b/c I tend to get sick from vaccines, but I think it is worth it in this case given how unpredictable the disease effects can be. So when the time comes, I think I will load myself up w/ ibuprofen or something and then get the vaccine.

I'm glad your DS purchased a TM!

Donna
Old 12-31-20, 09:26 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

I'm about to go to do my work out. I have all these wonderful choices that I've spent the last 30min just trying to decide what to do. I think I'll follow JV format of steady state cardio and add ePilates class for Dec 31 which is Yoga for Balance and Connection. I'll check in once I'm done.

Carol, good job getting Covid vaccine. I'd be interested to know if everything continues to be good with you. My DH has NHL (in remission) and continues getting "maintenance" treatments every 8 weeks to supress his immune system, so yes, he is on the priority list to get his.

The beauty of ePilates is that you can join any time. Emma is just so pleasant and has lots of feel-good classes which are increasingly more important to me than advanced puke-in-the bucket classes I used to enjoy.

My new year plan is consistency and doing something every day. Since I'm semi-retired and have the time, I want to start doing something in the afternoons in addition to morning workouts. Maybe stretching, yoga or just listen to relaxing stress-relieving music.

Hi Donna, Linda and Brenda! I'll check in later.
Old 12-31-20, 10:38 AM  
fanofladyvols

Carol you read my mind as I was about to ask you which DVD of Lauren's to choose. Thanks!! Hoping your symptoms with the vaccine are mild. Teachers are scheduled for vaccine offerings after first responders here.

Donna I'm getting FOMO listening to you talk about JS new dvd. I'm glad you are enjoying it! As far as your plans, you always seem to work it out so I'm sure it will be a good one! One I'm going to borrow from you is a throwback theme.

Dana of course you're worth it. I will be eagerly reading both you and Carol's thoughts of JVs membership. But as I told Carol, even if you just use JV twice a month you will get your money's worth, IMHO.

So I have decided to dress up later and have a party of my own to tell 2020 "BUH-BYE!"

HAPPY NEW YEAR
to my lovely check-in buddies!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-20, 11:31 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Today's workouts:

JS Walk On 15 min Walks - Dance Cardio and Power Pick Up - 30min
ePilates Balance Yoga Connection (?) 26min

ePilates class was an interesting one. Not traditional yoga but pretty good just the same. Actual class was 16min and the last 10min was relaxation and stress relief. I found out 2 things: my balance needs a lot of work and my hamstrings somehow got tighter and also need a lot of work. There is something to the saying "if you don't use it you lose it". The work continues.
Old 01-01-21, 09:15 AM  
donnamp

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...00#post2905000

New thread alert!

Linda - I hope you enjoyed your party!!

Dana - I need to work a lot on re-balancing my body - a lot is from my postural habits....

Please join the new thread!

Donna