Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-21, 06:01 PM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

Jessica Smith Lift and Shift Reviews and Impressions

I purchased the set.

Total Body Strength Compound Supersets 50 Minutes Notes:

2 Circuits- Circuit 2 starts the repeat at timestamp 29:30, so you can shorten the workout at that point.

Total Body Definition Paired Supersets 51 Minutes Notes:

There are 4 sets, with 2 circuits repeating in each set--Timestamps are as follows from preview:

Lower Body Circuit 1: 4:20
Lower Body Circuit 2: 12:10
Chest and Back Set 2 Circuit 1: 20:00
Chest and Back Set 2 Circuit 2 26:30
Shoulders, Upper Back and Arms Circuit 1 32:00
Shoulders, Upper Back and Arms Circuit 2 37:50
Core Circuit 1 43:30
Core Circuit 2 47:30

I have used Purpleplayer for years. The workouts showed up quickly in the phone app and computer program. I have had no problems with downloading or streaming. Please note I do not have a TV in my workout room so I only play workouts on my laptop or phone screen. (I know NOTHING about smart TVs, rokus, etc)
Old 03-05-21, 06:35 PM  
SFR
VF Supporter

Are you happy with your purchase?
Old 03-05-21, 07:23 PM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

I am. But I like Jessica a lot, like her strength training, love her balance work and her strength and balance work agree with what my body needs.

Total Body Stamina [The Fundamentals Circuit] 41 minutes notes:

3 circuits, repeating 6 exercises with tempo changes-timestamps per preview:

Round 1: 4:50 Regular, even tempo
Round 2: 17:20 Eccentric (negative/lengthening) phase emphasis
Round 3: 29:40 Concentric (positive/shortening) phase emphasis
Old 03-05-21, 07:47 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Thank you so much for these notes! Please post as you can. This info is helping me make up my mind.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 07:28 AM  
Cher

I did the first workout Total Body Strength Compound Supersets. It was a little harder than I expected. In this one after you do one set of each exercise, as Leslie said, she repeats all the exercises a second time. It’s very easy to shorten and only do one set which would end at about the 30 minute mark. (Which was tempting ), but I did both sets this time (but you never know in the future). I did lighten up the weight on a couple exercises on the second set. I found she didn’t move to fast on this workout so easy to go heavier if you wanted.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 07:52 AM  
SFR
VF Supporter

Thanks you guys for this info. Very helpful. I'm seeing that I can probably cut these in half to start. The compound one is easy to cut in half but I could do some fast forwarding on others.

How is the music volume relative to Jessica's voice? I feel like usually Jessica does a good job with this but in WS3 the music was too quiet.
Old 03-06-21, 10:06 AM  
kimf
VF Supporter

I just did the first one, Total Body Strength, and was very impressed. It was very challenging! My heart rate stayed up pretty much the whole time. It really is not like anything else that I have. Jessica works very slow and controlled and encourages you to work to failure, but she really keeps it moving, one set after another, and I was worn out after a half hour.

I loved in the warmup she did some mobility moves that felt great on my back. She incorporates some balance and functional movement, postural muscles, and also plenty of core engagement. Classic Jessica, what I love about her workouts. She did an alternative to an upright row and talked about the importance of not lifting in the rotated shoulder position, which I agree is very important (ahem, Cathe I'm talking to you).

What else I liked: her cueing is great, not a lot of unnecessary talking, just calm form pointers. I really liked the music, I have the bass turned up on my sound bar and really enjoyed the electronic background beat.

I liked that for the first half hour, there is no repeating of moves. As already mentioned, at the halfway point she starts over, but I stopped there.

It is not a beginner workout, that's for sure. But she did show plenty of modifications, so it really would work for wide range of abilities.

Overall I loved it and am very glad I purchased! Can't wait to try the rest of them.
kimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 10:08 AM  
kimf
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFR View Post
How is the music volume relative to Jessica's voice? I feel like usually Jessica does a good job with this but in WS3 the music was too quiet.
I'm sure it depends on how you play the video, but for my set up (TV with a sound bar) the mix was perfect. The music was not too loud but several times I noticed it and really liked it. I like the classic electronic type of workout music and that's what this was.

Jessica must be wearing a good mike because her cuing was very clear.
Old 03-06-21, 10:29 AM  
TracyQ

Thanks everyone for posting your reviews. I really wasn’t interested in these although I like Jessica a lot but I just don’t reach for her workouts very often. What is making these so appealing is that she lifts slow and controlled. So many instructors go so fast (I’m talking to you Cathe ) it’s exhausting for me to keep up. (I’m a lot taller than Cathe and have long legs and very long arms).

I’m going to keep checking this thread before I make a decision.

Thanks again everyone.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 11:02 AM  
kimf
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
So many instructors go so fast (I’m talking to you Cathe ) it’s exhausting for me to keep up. (I’m a lot taller than Cathe and have long legs and very long arms).
I am very tall and also have trouble keeping up with Cathe. She is a lot smaller than me and of course she is a beast. With her workouts (though I do love them) sometimes I feel like I'm just trying to survive. LOL

I rarely use weights for lower body exercise with Cathe, but I did with Jessica today. There is only one set of each exercise (at least in this first workout), so that made me feel more confident that I could push myself. Plus I just find Jessica to be motivating.

I can already feel that my legs are going to be sore tomorrow.

Tags
eccentric weight training, jessica smith, jessica smith get strong, jessica smith strength, lift and shift, lift and shift reviews, purple player, streaming reviews, streaming workouts, strength rotation