Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-30-11, 09:32 AM  
pumptmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
It definitely is. The weight loss is updated almost in passing, but the healing benefits are the ones touted.
Lucky is 100% right. Yes, he does talk about the weight loss but mostly about changes to health overall and avoidance (or reduction) of diseases and ailments. The main guy goes around the country talking to people about their diets. He comes off as inquisitive and caring, instead of being arrogant and judgmental imo. It's all very thought provoking.

"We all have our own issues" - Lashaun Dale

"Hi, I'm Billy Blanks and welcome to Tae Bo" Billy Blanks - Tae Bo

** 50 time marathoner
** 15 time ultramarathoner (the longest was 40 miles)
** All time high scorer at Blast Billiards
pumptmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 09:37 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

in reply to the question. I think it's diet. Cause I don't see anyone losing that kinda of weight doing pilates and yoga. it's just not happening.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 10:09 AM  
counterclockwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyd0319 View Post
counterclockwise congrats! I notice I do have an easier time controlling my eater when I'm not working out but I hope to not have test that theory anytime soon.
Well thanks! I did want to add that I am not encouraging people to stop working out to lose weight (not that that is what you are saying either Patty!).

Luckily I don't get hungrier in general when I am working out. This recent weight loss was all because I finally stopped romanticizing sugar, he he. That was always my problem - the sweets - which I never ate b/c I was hungry...I ate them b/c I thought I just loved them too much not to!
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 10:22 AM  
cathgpo
VF Supporter

First, congratulations on your weight loss, Bob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
So we're talking about which is more important for weight loss, right? Then I'd say diet. My answer would be a little different if we were talking fitness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Though if we're talking health and avoidance of chronic disease, the scale would tip back again towards what one consumes (or avoids consuming).
I wanted to pull these two quotes out because Gams and Kathryn are both making points that are important to me. Exercise is important for fitness itself. For instance, exercise was the #1 reason Bob made it to the end of those ultras he has run!!!

Food is more important in terms of maintaining a healthy weight and body composition and fueling your body with required nutrients. Our diet can help make or break what chronic diseases we have.

I personally have struggled with some extra weight for much of my life. I'm at the lower end of my adult weight range now, but could stand to lose some more. I'm about 50 pounds lighter than my highest weight. I, personally, think it is easier to exercise consistently than maintain a truly healthy diet. And, I'm even a pretty healthy eater. I blend my own whole fruit and veggie smoothies in my VitaMix several days a week, and I pick up my organic veggies from a local co-op. I even have limited baked goods because I have to eat gluten and dairy free, and that just limits my options! The extra pounds come from social and stress eating. So, I think for some people -- depending on their background and psychological make-up -- exercise is going to be an easier sustainable change than long-term dietary changes. It also leads to a sense of empowerment. So, for people truly struggling with their weight -- whether that's a little or a lot of weight -- I think exercise is a great start that will help them over time be able to better prioritize their food intake. I have no doubt that I will be a lifelong exerciser. I know that eating clean will continue to be an ongoing challenge for me. Bob's post will hopefully help me keep my priorities focused over the days and weeks to come.

As an aside -- I, like Bob, was moved greatly by a documentary regarding food. Supersize Me was 100% the end of traditional fast food in my life. That was in early 2005.

cathgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 11:53 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
One thing though is that most of us who belong to VF exercise so I want to stand up a bit more in support of exercise.
Patty, thanks so much for your post! I'm glad I'm not the only one who was having these types of thoughts. Personally, I come to VF to read about exercise, so I don't particularly like these types of threads. (Bob, no offense to you at all; I'm glad you figured something out for yourself. Just offering a dissenting opinion. )

Quote:
Unlike my friends who don't exercise, I am still enjoying beer and going out to dinner/lunch and when I do, I don't instantly put the weight back on. I love to eat but I'm not one who eats heavy, fatty and fried stuff and I consciously eat around and to fuel my workouts.
This sounds very much like me. I like food! I don't diet, I enjoy an occasional beer or glass of wine, and DH & I like to eat out about once per week. But most of the time, I make healthy choices, I read labels when I grocery shop, and if I'm hungry, I eat. Although my weight has sometimes been on the higher end of normal, I've never been overweight. Finding what works for me exercise-wise (lately it has been kettlebells!) has always been the key for me to manage my weight.

Quote:
To me its more about lifestyle and the whole package. I don't want to count every calorie and give up beer and ice cream (ok, I usually eat fat free yogurt) but I do want to be fit and look good.
YES! I've never counted calories, and I never plan to.

Quote:
I get enough compliments to keep me happy and my clothes are a size 6/8 for now.
Me too! I don't run (I hate running!), but I am pretty strong, can do a headstand, push up into a backbend, and swing a kettlebell.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 12:02 PM  
pumptmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathgpo View Post
First, congratulations on your weight loss, Bob!

As an aside -- I, like Bob, was moved greatly by a documentary regarding food. Supersize Me was 100% the end of traditional fast food in my life. That was in early 2005.
Thanks Cath

I have a funny Supersize Me story. My local library shows movies once a week and it was in the library that I saw Supersize Me. As we watched the movie, they served us food. Take one guess what that food was. McDonald's cheeseburgers and french fries! 100% serious. The irony was overwhelming.

** 50 time marathoner
Old 09-30-11, 12:30 PM  
pumptmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Patty, thanks so much for your post! I'm glad I'm not the only one who was having these types of thoughts. Personally, I come to VF to read about exercise, so I don't particularly like these types of threads. (Bob, no offense to you at all; I'm glad you figured something out for yourself. Just offering a dissenting opinion. )
None taken at all Beth. You do raise a very good point which I want to address so nothing is misconstrued.

A lot of people here struggle with their weight as I do. As much as I wish it wasn't the case, it really is a never ending struggle. I could weigh 150 pounds or 650 pounds and either way, I'll have a weight problem. The weight per se is irrelevant, at least imo after decades of having dealt with this. Taking this into consideration, a good portion of those here are looking for solutions to help them deal with their weight issues...and the psychological ramifications of repeated failures trying to solve them. I think what's happened to me is a really big deal. Did I invent gravity or the wheel? Of course not and many people realized what I said long before I did. Having said that though, my experiences show that my changes were 100% through diet. As you can see from the thread posts, the information I found has helped inspire other people here, as I was hoping it would. The fact that this is a 180 turn from my belief exercise was more important makes it even more impactful imo. How could I not pass this on to help others??

Let's face it...Videofitness is all about exercise and exercise only. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna check out the latest beauty tips post and what's happening on the Dancing with the Stars reality show.

** 50 time marathoner
Old 09-30-11, 12:39 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumptmuscle View Post
Let's face it...Videofitness is all about exercise and exercise only. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna check out the latest beauty tips post and what's happening on the Dancing with the Stars reality show.
Oh, I realize this; I subscribe to the annual beauty thread myself. (Although I can honesty say that I wouldn't mind seeing ALL the OT threads go away; I don't believe that I have every posted one myself, although I could be wrong. )

BUT--and I think this is an important--Wendy created VF as a "diet-free" zone. It is not a "beauty-free," "TV-free," or anything else -free zone. Yet people can't seem to resist discussing how important it is here. I'm not even saying that it isn't important; I'm just saying that I find it a little sad that we can't stay truer to VF's original mission.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 12:40 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Bob, you've come to a great realization and raise very valid & interesting points.
However, in defense of Beth's post, it's still Wendy's forum and her rules (against specific diet-talk, etc) will always apply. There are other forums (fora?) where indepth food-and-diet discussions are very welcome.

And yes - beauty tips, DWTS and cat posts aren't on-topic either and Wendy has repeatedly asked we keep their numbers down.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 01:12 PM  
pumptmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Bob, you've come to a great realization and raise very valid & interesting points.
However, in defense of Beth's post, it's still Wendy's forum and her rules (against specific diet-talk, etc) will always apply. There are other forums (fora?) where indepth food-and-diet discussions are very welcome.

And yes - beauty tips, DWTS and cat posts aren't on-topic either and Wendy has repeatedly asked we keep their numbers down.
Thanks Lucky...I think!

I was careful not to discuss diet particulars (i.e. specifics) in the op. Yeah, let's face it, I did feel mentioning the movie was relevant to it and those who'd like to watch it are free to. I just wanna help people so I hope I have.

** 50 time marathoner

Tags
dr joel fuhrman, fat sick nearly dead, inspiration, juicing, maintenance, weight loss