Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-19-20, 11:19 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

When you spend as much as 30 minutes choosing the day's workout...

The other day I spent probably a half hour trying to pick my workout for the day. I work out in the afternoon. Probably folks that work out in the morning figure it all out the night before.

Lately, I feel so tired all the time that I don't even want to do anything. But, I do something anyway.

The worst is spending all that time and then doing a Joni-O!

What's the longest you took to pick a workout? Do you ever just give up?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-20, 11:37 AM  
DCW

I do Essentrics every morning Monday thru Friday. Even though I have numerous Essentrics dvds, I turn on my local PBS station for an Classical Stretch/Essentrics in the morning. For a long time, I tried picking one out and took too much time trying to find one I "wanted" to do. I would try this one then switch and then switch again.

Now whatever episode and season is playing on PBS that's what I got. In the past, I was also picking my favorites over and over again, too, when I was picking one out. I even tried picking one out the night before and I would still change my mind in the morning. So PBS picking the episode works for me, I am fortunate that 2 stations have Classical Stretch on back to back so I can pick between the 2 stations. One station is doing the most recent season #13, so I go with that station.

It's tough trying to pick one out at the crack of dawn too.

You aren't alone.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-20, 12:22 PM  
fanofladyvols

Just did this the night before. I have a framework for the week and some are planned but I leave my stretchy or pilates sessions wide open.

I was saved by the 10 MS thread reminding me of one. But it took me several hours to decide
I kept changing my mind during the evening trying to plan the workout for the next day, lol.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-20, 12:26 PM  
CharM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
I kept changing my mind during the evening trying to plan the workout for the next day, lol.
I do the same! The good thing is that I get some extra steps walking back to my exercise room to look at my choices. The worst is when I finally decide, then toss it aside in the morning to do something different. Why do I even bother? So a few nights ago, I decided to give myself two choices for the next day and I'd HAVE to pick one. I think I'll keep doing that for at least a week... baby steps.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-20, 12:31 PM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

LOL, Alta. Yep, it’s tough to choose when one has over 1500 workouts.

And choosing the night before just does not work for me, because I’ll just poo-poo it in the morning.

What I do is give myself a time limit of like 5 minutes to pick one. If I can’t in 5 minutes then I go with the 1st one that sounded good that morning, but didn’t pick!
Old 06-19-20, 01:17 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

interesting question. it happened maybe a few times in my early days when i was trying to develop my vidiot style.

when i first started out with videos, i always followed a rotation - usually the one provided by the brand.

then i migrated to writing a rotation on a spreadsheet with video titles from many different groups.

and fast forward to today, mentally i just alternate between cardio and strength and fit in some yoga in the evening. it's second nature.

that said, i keep a handful of DVDs nearby - and the past several months, I've been focusing on virgins, so again, i just alternate between cardio and weights. if it's dreadful, i just let the DVD play and i either follow the video or do my own thing. this recently happened with a Get Healthy U DVD - some of it was Joni-O worthy, but i just did my own thing, then joined in when i saw something good.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-20, 01:41 PM  
alisoncooks

I don't dither so much in choosing, but I do serial-JoniO on some mornings. 1, 2, 3 DVDs I'll JoniO, and then I usually just give up for the day.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-20, 01:57 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti S. View Post
LOL, Alta. Yep, it’s tough to choose when one has over 1500 workouts.

And choosing the night before just does not work for me, because I’ll just poo-poo it in the morning.

What I do is give myself a time limit of like 5 minutes to pick one. If I can’t in 5 minutes then I go with the 1st one that sounded good that morning, but didn’t pick!
It's probably better to poo-poo a workout right away rather than having to Joni-o it later!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-20, 02:02 PM  
Gams

I don’t take long and if I’m not in the mood to workout, I can still usually talk myself into one of the 12-minute miles by Leslie or Jessica.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-20, 02:10 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

I found this to be a benefit to doing Tracy Anderson Meta - the program is set up. I alternate her cardio with low-impact - so deciding which low impact is my big decision. Sadly, I can dither over that for way too long. But when I switched away from TA I found I spent much to much time trying to decide what workout to do.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
analysis paralysis, brain freeze, low motivation, procrastination, too many choices