Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-01-11, 09:49 AM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

Favorite Yoga dvds?

I'm trying to get into more yoga, and so I'm looking to broaden my collection. For a long time, I was trading off my yoga dvds b/c it seemed like I had so many. Now I realize how nice it is to have a variety. So, please list your favorite yoga dvds. List as many as you want. Explain your selection or not. Any kind of yoga is fine.
Mine (currently) are:
Shiva Rea's Daily Energy Vinyasa Flow
Elle Make Better Yoga (with Tara Stiles)
Yoga Radiance
The 20min Hips practice on Baron Baptiste's Bootcamp set
Baron Baptiste's Core Power

I'm hesitant to try yoga audios from Itunes because I feel like it will be difficult to follow along. For example, I'd like to try Power Yoga with Dave Farmer, but wonder if I'll feel lost and frustrated.
Old 09-01-11, 09:56 AM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Have you seen the recent thread on Janet Stone yoga? She has 3 new dvds available.

Here is an 8 minute clip of one of her older offerings, Radiant Flow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGH5R...eature=related

Here is a teaser clip for her newer offerings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx1E1yr9TAI
Old 09-01-11, 10:12 AM  
Vee

I am looking forward to Ganesha Flow and Mellow Flow from Janet Stone that I ordered after the recent thread.

What I do most often these days is video downloads from yogatoday. What I like most about them is that most routines are very different from standard DVD productions which tend to repeat variations on the same basic vinyasa sequences and feature the same poses that are popular with DVDs. I especially like yogatoday routines that are themed on a single pose where the routine has complementary poses and prep, working up to the pose in question.

Erich Schifman's backyard backbends is another favorite. I love the way he cues. He is fabulous for coaching alignment.

I like Baron Baptiste's unlocking Athletic Power and Soul of Strength when I feel like Power Yoga. Also Rodney Yee's original Power Yoga Total Body and Shiva Rea's Yoga Shakti. I think she has never surpassed Yoga Shakti.

My favorite from Rodney Yee is an oldie called Yoga for Energy. The yoga is classic but still feels almost choreographed. It has a standing sequence that feels lyrical, executed in perfect unison by Rodney and a background lady. The curing is minimal, so you need to be familiar with yoga, but the minimal cueing makes it meditative and magical.

I enjoy Christina Pedersen's Gentle Power on the beach. The combination of poses puts me in a great mood and feels a very balanced blend of stamina, flexibility, balance.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 10:19 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I do daily yoga and I love it! I am into more off the beaten path and what I call purist yoga by true yogis. Here are some of my favs:

Eoin Finn's Blissology - a great investment with so much variety! This would be my number one recommendation to someone who wants to expand their collection.
Erich Schiffmann's Backyard Beginners, Backbends, and Yoga Mind & Body
Ishwari Gonnot's Heart Flow Yoga
Tilak Pyle's Altar of the Heart and Slow, Deep, & Relaxed (audio download)
Zyrka Landwijt's Gentle Vinyasa Flow and Saraswati River Tradition
Deb Dobbin's Spirit of Vinyasa Flow
anything Jill Miller
anything John Friend
Tias Little's River Flow
Kim Eng's Qi Flow Yoga and Yin Yoga

I hear great things about Janet Stone's new dvds too. I wish I could get them up here!

Eoin Finn has some free audio downloads through itunes. You can try one and see how you like it. I hope you enjoy your journey into yoga!

Pam

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 10:30 AM  
alisoncooks

I quite like Kurt Johnsen's style of yoga. Yoga for Life set is great and very approachable (though hard to get a hold of). APY60 is along those same lines...(and while I like the set/aesthetics of APY60 better, I am finding myself reaching for YfL more).

I also like Barbara Benagh's Yoga for Stress Relief.

BTW, happy birthday!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 10:52 AM  
PeakFitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikruegs View Post
I'm hesitant to try yoga audios from Itunes because I feel like it will be difficult to follow along. For example, I'd like to try Power Yoga with Dave Farmer, but wonder if I'll feel lost and frustrated.
Another VFer turned me on To YogiWade on itunes and also you can download from his own site, yogiwade.com, he's very good with verbal cues!
Old 09-01-11, 12:09 PM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

Great ideas!

I definitely need to check out Janet Stone's dvds!!

Vee - I always felt that Shiva never surpassed Yoga Sanctuary! Though I like Daily Energy because I really enjoy a couple practices on it, and the 20min practices are very user-friendly.
Old 09-01-11, 02:25 PM  
D72

Bryan Kest's Power Yoga 1, 2 and 3
New Yoga Challenge with Rod Stryker
Original Yoga Zones with Alan Finger: Introduction to Yoga and Conditioning and Stress Release-slower but still amazing even for non-beginners) as well as Yoga Zone's Power Yoga led by Lisa Bennet. Deceptively challenging but really great.
D72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 03:53 PM  
JessieMarie

My favorites are:

Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss with Suzanne Deason. I have been able to grow with this dvd, and I love the sequence.

The Total Yoga Series by the White Lotus Foundation. This is my favorite vinyasa.

Yoga for Stress Relief by Barbara Benagh. This is my go to when anything is sore or hurting.
JessieMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 04:14 PM  
jplain

Not a DVD, but YogaVibes is offering a free unlimited month in honor of National Yoga Month.
I posted details in Bargain Watch: link.
jplain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorite workouts, favorite yoga, yoga