Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-09, 06:13 PM  
fit44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerry
Are you finding that you need the vest for Phase 2, as well? I quickly previewed Phase 2, but purposely didn't look too closely at it so I could just focus on Phase 1.
I put the vest on for circuit 1, but took it off half way through. I was feeling nauseous from working really hard.
I skipped putting it on for circuit 2 because I was sore from Monday. My butt cheeks hurt top to bottom. I'm sorry if that is too graphic, but it is the TRUTH!

I can see a few exercise will benefit the vest in push. The one legged deadlifts and tap lunges. I personally found it difficult to pick up my bulky 30lb hexagon weights for those two. I think it depends all on what you are use to. The big dumbbells are new territory for me.
fit44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-09, 06:20 PM  
BlackBerry

LOL!! Sounds like the truth hurts.

I'm actually looking forward to some good old DOMS. It was kind of disappointing (in a weird way) not to have them in Burn. But I had enough other physical 'responses' to keep me happy (like the odd muscle twitching I had after the circuits in the first week.)

Big dumbbells are new to me, too. I'm using the select tech, so even 5 pounds are 'big' for me...(so I frequently find myself using my cute neoprene ones for any exercise under 15 pounds. I feel stupid holding those big select tech's for really light weights.)

Disclosure: Details in profile on a professional relationship with a company who sells the types of products discussed here.
BlackBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-09, 06:54 PM  
silvil
VF Supporter

Quote:
The vest is perfect for this series. The heavy dumbbells hurt my hands too.
Fit44, thanks for the tip on the Cathe vest at Walmart -- I ordered one! The most difficult part for me while I'm doing CLX is hand grip. The ache in my hands, wrists & forearms is excruciating when holding 25lb dumbbells (my heaviest) to the point where I have to take momentary breaks to put them down during sets. I really can't go any heavier for the sake of my hands, but my lower body hopefully can take more, so I think the vest will be perfect.
silvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-09, 09:08 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I am in week 2 of Burn, and I haven't really had DOMs -- my hamstrings have been tight, but different than DOMs. It's really strange. I know I'm working!

Cynthia, you're too funny.... do you know you said "sore" six times in your warning post?

And yes, those heavy dumbbells are really tough on the hands/forearms -- the weighted vest is great.

B
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-09, 09:30 PM  
deesharee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fit44
For right now, I'm not subbing. I was tempted to sub Burn Intervals today because I'm very sore.
I'm in the first week of push phase and I completed circuit 2 yesterday. First, let me say I was sore 4 hours after push circuit 1 on Monday. Now, I'm really sore. Can someone tell me why my armpits are sore? Circuit 2 hits all heads of the shoulder. How in the world are my armpits sore? Unless it residual soreness from bicep work Monday.
I don't mean to scare all of you but, good golly I'm sore!!! Not so bad that I can't function. This program kicks booty!
Ooooooohhhh!!! Thanks for the warning, fit44!

Bring it on! Dee
deesharee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-09, 09:58 PM  
ruby2111

I'm subbing in a treadmill walk/jog and sometimes a Turbo Jam or Taebo (some of them have unweighted body work, hopefully ok in place of Chalene's intervals). I tried doing the rotation as outlined the first 2 weeks but my legs and glutes really need a break in between workouts. I'm hoping to go another round of CLX, maybe next round I'll do it as outlined.
ruby2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-09, 10:12 PM  
JP44

I have the Cathe weighted vest too (Thank you Walmart for free shipping to the store!) but I also made a loose "belt" using some Reebok 2 & 3 lb ankle weights. I just velcro 3 of them end to end and it adds 7-8 lbs for my lower body work.

Another tip to add weight to your lower body moves: When the exercise has you working just one arm at a time, and you do a lunge during part of the move, I hold a heavier DB in the non working hand to give additional weight to the lunge work. So, I wore my weighted 8 lb "belt" (see above), held a 12 lb db in my non-working arm while I did one armed tricep extensions w/ a 10 lb db.

In total I was using, 30 lbs for my LB while only using 10 lbs for my tricep. Yeah, I was burning on the s-l-o-w lunges and my triceps were crying too.

HTH!

JP44 (Joan)

edited for clarity
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-09, 02:37 AM  
Edie

Don't have a weighted vest yet. So used my 10 lb. power belly belt (used for practicing belly dancing drills) during Burn 3 today. Do you think it makes a difference where the extra weight is? - Weighted vest is over the chest/back, weighted power belly belt rests on the hips/waist. In any case - what a tough workout! I think Chalean does more shoulder work than any other upper body part to help the hips look slimmer - more proportioned to lower body.

Edie
Edie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-09, 07:09 AM  
fit44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee

Cynthia, you're too funny.... do you know you said "sore" six times in your warning post?

B
Oh, you think that's bad? You should try living with me. I have no idea how many times I've told my DH how sore I am. God bless him, he just listens.
When he gives me little massages here and there, I moan like a dog
fit44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-09, 09:03 AM  
weighttrain
VF Supporter

Great post! I am currently working on a substitute dvd list for CLX. So far I have:

Jari's RTTC is a perfect DVD for Burn and Lean. I follow the exercises but I perform extremely slow and controlled reps.

I used Cathe's Muscle Endurance for PUSH. I ff'd through the remainder of the leg presses after the first set.

For PUSH: The standing lower body workout from Cathe's 4 Day Split and Kathy Smith's Secrets to a Great Upper Body . These dvd's have 2 sets of 10 to 12 reps for most of the exercises. I got this idea from a fellow VFer.

Most of the exercises from the Interval dvd's are borrowed from the legs, turbo, finale and standing ab segments from the Turbokick rounds. You could easily make your own workout by interspersing a turbo (high end cardio) with the standing leg/ab segment. The PiYo cool-downs correlate with the rejuvenate dvd.

PlyoX interspersed with any well chaptered muscle endurance dvd makes a substitute for Burn Intervals.

The weighted standing section Angie Miller's Strength and Core Fusion can be substituted for Burn and Lean, but you have to slow down the exercise and not follow Angie's tempo.

Has anyone tried Jillian's 30-day shred and/or P90X+ for substitutions?

Thanks everyone for sharing your ideas!

Beth

Tags
chalean, chalean extreme, clx, substitution