Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-15, 12:38 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

If you want to do tough workouts lead by a REAL Navy Seal, try the late Scott Helventson. (He was killed in Iraq in 2004. I can't believe it has been that long.)

http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...nst.php?id=519

My DH still does Scott's workouts regularly.
Vintage VFer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-15, 01:30 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
If you want to do tough workouts lead by a REAL Navy Seal, try the late Scott Helventson. (He was killed in Iraq in 2004. I can't believe it has been that long.)

http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...nst.php?id=519

My DH still does Scott's workouts regularly.
This thread also made me think of Scott. I can't believe it's been that long since he passed away in such a horrific death.
Old 05-26-15, 05:26 PM  
Buzzer

I am gonna jump in at this point, before this I was seeing too much red.

I have plenty of friends (more than I should have!) who almost lost their lives, did lose their lives but were brought back, lost limbs, body parts, parts of their brains... my husband works with some Gold Star Moms... the Moms whose sons and daughters did not come back. What these people have gone through, their stories, and what they live with now, even if they have no physical injuries...

Anyhow, to read people say "eh. Whatever. What's the big deal? Those people that tracked him down. Sheesh. Get a life." Let me say this, Skogg claimed he was a Seal.

He didn't go through the sacrifice, the training, the worry, the fear, the pain. His family never had to wonder if he was OK, stand by his side when he was injured, or wait for word from him to see if he was OK while thousands of miles away. He sat at home, watching TV, while the real SEALS and military men and women were out protecting his right to sit at home and watch TV. They risked their lives, their families, and he sat and claimed their title that he did not earn.

Whatever your profession... let's say you are an Engineer. Someone comes in, claiming they went all through college and Grad school, and now have a Doctorate in Engineering. They post it everywhere, and everyone calls them Dr. After years of this... this person getting respect from their credentials, people listening to them, they do speaking engagements with their title, other Engineers thinking (s)he was one of them, you find out (s)he really never was an Engineer, as a matter of fact, they had dropped out of college. Wouldn't that be a slap in the face? Wouldn't that sting even a little? All that time and money you spent to earn being an Engineer, you worked your way up, you paid your dues... and this person did nothing and claimed the title. Would you be so quick to say "thanks for apologizing. No big deal."?

Now times that by 100. Or 1000. The men and women in the field fear for their lives, and risk their lives, and worry about their families, while an Engineer doesn't. Military men and women leave their families, and don't know if they will ever see them again. SEALS especially... they are sent to the most extreme places, and they do it. What they go through is amazing, and emotionally and physically demanding.

I could go on.... Skogg did none of this. He essentially tried to kill a man. If I owned his workouts, I'd be asking for a refund, even if it had been a few years ago. I am proud of the Man and Woman who tracked him down and exposed him. He is a coward for not coming forward sooner, and a coward for perpetrating the lie.

OK, I'm still seeing red, but I really hope I got my point across at how big of a deal this really is. Good for him for clearing the air, but what a total *jerk* for claiming an honor he did not and does not EVER deserve. Shame on him.

I am grateful for this thread because now I am aware of Scott Helventson. I will be checking out his workouts, and most likely when I get the money I will be purchasing them. That would be a workout I wouldn't mind owning, even if I never do them, or only do them once. It would be worth it just to support his family.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-15, 05:56 PM  
PhyllisG

Totally agree. Thank you. Well said.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-15, 06:11 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

+1 to Buzzer's post. I have several family members in the police department. Their job is just a fraction of what a SEAL commits to; and I totally agree with her comments.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-15, 06:12 PM  
andtckrtoo

+ 2 to Buzzer... And may I add that many many young men make it to the age of 25 without strangling anyone? I hate that excuse. Wrong is wrong. We need to stop forgiving.
Old 05-26-15, 06:12 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Buzzer, excellent post. Thank you.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-15, 06:42 PM  
BunnyHop

Self aggrandizing braggarts are boring. Unfortunately for the rest of us, they tend not to realize it.

The professional soldiers I've known have all been profoundly modest, unassuming people who don't have anger management issues. I'd suspect their training teaches them not to advertise their skills as a means of self preservation, or weeds out the ones who can't make the cut.

I think that people who claim false titles and honors (military, academic or otherwise) for themselves are just kind of sad, and probably neurotic, but also agree that such phonies should be called out, if nothing else, to remember and respect those who've sacrificed so much.

Trying to make a profit by claiming to have an education you actually lack? Really tacky, no matter the subject.
Old 05-26-15, 06:53 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Excellent post, Buzzer. Thank you for saying that.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-15, 08:20 PM  
afirmrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
I am gonna jump in at this point, before this I was seeing too much red.

I have plenty of friends (more than I should have!) who almost lost their lives, did lose their lives but were brought back, lost limbs, body parts, parts of their brains... my husband works with some Gold Star Moms... the Moms whose sons and daughters did not come back. What these people have gone through, their stories, and what they live with now, even if they have no physical injuries...

Anyhow, to read people say "eh. Whatever. What's the big deal? Those people that tracked him down. Sheesh. Get a life." Let me say this, Skogg claimed he was a Seal.

He didn't go through the sacrifice, the training, the worry, the fear, the pain. His family never had to wonder if he was OK, stand by his side when he was injured, or wait for word from him to see if he was OK while thousands of miles away. He sat at home, watching TV, while the real SEALS and military men and women were out protecting his right to sit at home and watch TV. They risked their lives, their families, and he sat and claimed their title that he did not earn.

Whatever your profession... let's say you are an Engineer. Someone comes in, claiming they went all through college and Grad school, and now have a Doctorate in Engineering. They post it everywhere, and everyone calls them Dr. After years of this... this person getting respect from their credentials, people listening to them, they do speaking engagements with their title, other Engineers thinking (s)he was one of them, you find out (s)he really never was an Engineer, as a matter of fact, they had dropped out of college. Wouldn't that be a slap in the face? Wouldn't that sting even a little? All that time and money you spent to earn being an Engineer, you worked your way up, you paid your dues... and this person did nothing and claimed the title. Would you be so quick to say "thanks for apologizing. No big deal."?

Now times that by 100. Or 1000. The men and women in the field fear for their lives, and risk their lives, and worry about their families, while an Engineer doesn't. Military men and women leave their families, and don't know if they will ever see them again. SEALS especially... they are sent to the most extreme places, and they do it. What they go through is amazing, and emotionally and physically demanding.

I could go on.... Skogg did none of this. He essentially tried to kill a man. If I owned his workouts, I'd be asking for a refund, even if it had been a few years ago. I am proud of the Man and Woman who tracked him down and exposed him. He is a coward for not coming forward sooner, and a coward for perpetrating the lie.

OK, I'm still seeing red, but I really hope I got my point across at how big of a deal this really is. Good for him for clearing the air, but what a total *jerk* for claiming an honor he did not and does not EVER deserve. Shame on him.

I am grateful for this thread because now I am aware of Scott Helventson. I will be checking out his workouts, and most likely when I get the money I will be purchasing them. That would be a workout I wouldn't mind owning, even if I never do them, or only do them once. It would be worth it just to support his family.
Well said Buzzer!

-----------------------------------------------
"Oxygen is free. Breath it in!" Jennifer Galardi DOTI Hip Hop Party

"A 30-minute workout is just 2% of your day. No excuses." Clubz

Lisa Shaffer 2013 10,000 Kettlebell Swing challenge completed.
afirmrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instructor behaving badly, liars, michael skogg, navy seal, skogg, special ops