Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-02-11, 06:58 AM  
jplain

For those who want to get a feel for Johnsen's style before buying APY, there are 3 Kurt Johnsen videos on YogaVibes.com: link to classes. And right now, you can try them free. To celebrate Yoga Month, YogaVibes is offering a 1-month free unlimited membership. I posted details in Bargain Watch: link to code and details.
jplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-11, 06:48 PM  
Dobby
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I was supposed to start this today, but I'm giving a sore wrist a few more days. I'll probably start on Monday....ETA: not much help now, I know.
AlisonCooks, you should wait until your wrist is better. There are a bunch of downward facing dogs and plank pose in Week 1 so make sure you are ready for that.

I did purchase this and REALLY like Kurt. I started last week, but I just can't do the same person every day, even as much as I enjoy Kurt, his delivery, his passion, his message. For me this will probably be APY 120. I was going to post when I had gotten in to Week 2 but am not there yet!

The 1st week is basically sun salutations with some sitting poses at the end. I am not sure anyone with NO prior experience with yoga would really be able to do this because even tho he has a modifier he does not give a ton of form cues. He talks just enough for me. Very calm, encouraging delivery. Cute jokes I am not tired of yet. He walks around and does adjust form for the class members in a very professional way. I have NEVER seen anyone go from crouch into plank with the strength he does. He kicks out to about a 45 degree angle and literally floats down to plank. Awesome.

My strength has improved over the 2 weeks & my flexibility has also improved. I love his morning blends EXCEPT after an energetic warm-up, I have to pause the DVD before he starts the meditation part because my HR is so high! The morning blends say they are all different but the difference is that his message is different. It is the same routine the first week with a few add ons.

Not doing his eating plan, looks like no/lo carb from flipping through it.

All in all, I love Kurt and love the program.

Pam
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-11, 09:19 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Great write up, Dobby.

Kurt is encouraging in a very low key way. I like that. That float back thing he does is amazing, isn't it? I think he was doing that way back when he did his first dvd, too.

The daily blends will eventually change, a bit. He adds on, and then eventually will pick and choose different moves. They get harder so if you're breathless now, watch out!

I agree that this isn't really appropriate for beginners. I'm surprised, actually, because it's an infomercial kit, yes? Those are usually geared more towards beginners. They are harder than anything he has put out before.
ddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-11, 09:21 PM  
Fidget Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
AlisonCooks, you should wait until your wrist is better. There are a bunch of downward facing dogs and plank pose in Week 1 so make sure you are ready for that.

I did purchase this and REALLY like Kurt. I started last week, but I just can't do the same person every day, even as much as I enjoy Kurt, his delivery, his passion, his message. For me this will probably be APY 120. I was going to post when I had gotten in to Week 2 but am not there yet!

The 1st week is basically sun salutations with some sitting poses at the end. I am not sure anyone with NO prior experience with yoga would really be able to do this because even tho he has a modifier he does not give a ton of form cues. He talks just enough for me. Very calm, encouraging delivery. Cute jokes I am not tired of yet. He walks around and does adjust form for the class members in a very professional way. I have NEVER seen anyone go from crouch into plank with the strength he does. He kicks out to about a 45 degree angle and literally floats down to plank. Awesome.

My strength has improved over the 2 weeks & my flexibility has also improved. I love his morning blends EXCEPT after an energetic warm-up, I have to pause the DVD before he starts the meditation part because my HR is so high! The morning blends say they are all different but the difference is that his message is different. It is the same routine the first week with a few add ons.

Not doing his eating plan, looks like no/lo carb from flipping through it.

All in all, I love Kurt and love the program.

Pam

Thanks for the update! I'm glad you like it . I'm still going to get it, just waiting a bit. I'm not even remotely strong enough to handle it at this point, so I'm trying sooooo hard not to cave and buy right away .
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-11, 09:37 PM  
Dobby
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidget Queen View Post
Thanks for the update! I'm glad you like it . I'm still going to get it, just waiting a bit. I'm not even remotely strong enough to handle it at this point, so I'm trying sooooo hard not to cave and buy right away .
Oh...I'm not strong enough to handle it either but I am doing it anyway! I also modify using yoga blocks which he does not show especially lunges, triangle, etc.

In considering it, I think I like his manner best of all. He seems so genuinely likeable! He wants ME to succeed.

Pam
( I have not watched him on Veria. It comes on at 4AM and 7AM here...too early for one and someone else has dibs on GMA for the other!)
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 06:53 AM  
Rhonda

for those of you who bought the system, how long did it take before you had it in your hands?

Thanks
Rhonda
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 04:02 AM  
kiwichick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
for those of you who bought the system, how long did it take before you had it in your hands?

Thanks
Rhonda
Hi Rhonda

Mine took 7 days to get to me here in Melbourne. I'm starting the program Monday and am so excited!
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 06:18 PM  
bellee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwichick View Post
Hi Rhonda

Mine took 7 days to get to me here in Melbourne. I'm starting the program Monday and am so excited!
kiwichick, are you in Melbourne Australia? How were you able to order them as I thought it wasn't available internationally?
bellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 06:31 PM  
kiwichick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellee View Post
kiwichick, are you in Melbourne Australia? How were you able to order them as I thought it wasn't available internationally?
Yes, Melbourne Australia. They posted to the address of a friend in the US and they were forwarded on. There are organizations in the US where you can have stuff posted to them and they will forward to you - usually for a small joining fee and postage. I've used them in the past with no problems.

HTH?
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 07:35 PM  
bellee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwichick View Post
Yes, Melbourne Australia. They posted to the address of a friend in the US and they were forwarded on. There are organizations in the US where you can have stuff posted to them and they will forward to you - usually for a small joining fee and postage. I've used them in the past with no problems.

HTH?
Thanks! I've used those companies before. I just thought maybe APY was now taking international orders. Please come back and let us know how you like, or not, the system. This is on my wish list.
bellee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american power yoga, kurt johnsen, kurt johnson