Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-11, 07:51 PM  
F1mom

Need Suggestions Modifying CLX Burn Circuit

I'm slowly starting up here and I did Burn #1. Three sets of posterior flies with heavy weights was WAY too much for my shoulders, especially since the most I've ever used for this exercise is 3 lbs. I used 8 pounds instead and it was too much, but 5 pounds for the lower body was like using nothing.

What exercises would you suggest I sub for 2 of the sets that use posterior flies? The heaviest poundage I have is 10 pounds so I can try pretty much anything.

TIA!
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 08:27 AM  
F1mom

Anyone?
Old 03-17-11, 08:46 AM  
upperwside

Maybe try doing a few less reps of the shoulders.. but still use 8's....
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 09:06 AM  
ilovemygreatdane

I would use the 5 lbs for this exercise. It's a small muscle. I am doing CLX right now and am on the Lean Phase so I can't really remember Burn. Now this says more for me than I care to admit since I have done CLX for almost 2 years now. Please do not judge. I have always lifted kind of light when I thought my form would be compromised or I felt I would hurt myself in some way. I have a really crummy right elbow that gives me fits at times so I am extremely careful with it. Sometimes if my elbow bothers me I will drop down or will use a band instead. Chalene explains how to use the weight not momentum during the movement of the exercise. That is what I concentrate on. I am not sure if you are also doing a lunge during this particular move? If you are, do it with good form and do not worry about the weight. You can do a lunge without weight and still get good results. I have never lifted really heavy with CLX. The heaviest weight I own is a 20 and I use it for squats and sumo squats. I have gotten great results with CLX and still see no reason for me to go above 20 lbs.
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 09:13 AM  
F1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemygreatdane View Post
I am not sure if you are also doing a lunge during this particular move? If you are, do it with good form and do not worry about the weight. You can do a lunge without weight and still get good results. I have never lifted really heavy with CLX. The heaviest weight I own is a 20 and I use it for squats and sumo squats. I have gotten great results with CLX and still see no reason for me to go above 20 lbs.
Yes, I'm doing the lunges.

Glad to hear you don't really have to go super heavy with the weights.
Old 03-17-11, 10:02 AM  
PeakFitness

Througout CLX if there were combo moves and it ended up being too much shoulder work, I'd just take the shoulder move out of the combo. So intead of lunge + raise, I'd just do lunge. Once my shoulders had had enough, I would start taking the shoulders out of the move.
Old 03-17-11, 11:10 AM  
F1mom

Makes sense. Now why didn't I think of that?

Just finished Burn 2. I like this one better than Burn 1.
Old 03-17-11, 11:38 AM  
JP44

I divided up moves where the weight was too heavy for one body part and too light for the other. Just did the lower body move first, rewound, then did the upper body part.

I also wore a weighted vest (10 lb) & weighted belt (3 ankle wts velcro'd together w/ some wrist wts strung on = total wt 10 lbs). That let me heavy up the lower body load while keeping the upper body load light. (Don't wear a wt'd vest for forward leaning moves though!) This was great during the Push phase as I didn't have to hoist such a heavy barbell over my head.

Lastly, on moves where you only use one weight (eg. lunge w/ row) I held another DB in the non-working hand on increase the weight load for the lower body part.

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 01:50 PM  
spearrmint

All the above sounds like great ideas for you! I started CLX Burn 1 with 10 lbs for this move & next time around had an elbow & shoulder issue so I went down to 8's. I found using the 8's allowed me to really focus on the best form possible & if you do the slow reps concentrating on every inch of the move, hold at the top if you can & lower with GREAT control, you can do lower weight & still get great results. I wrote down my weights for every move so I can switch quickly & do the heaviest weight possible but safely. I really like the EXTREMELY slow moves, & the fact that lighter weights on some moves going so slow can be great! Good luck!
spearrmint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chalean extreme, chalene, chalene johnson, clx, clx burn circuit, modifications