Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-14, 04:42 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
Thanks for the replies. After doing more research, it just doesn't sound that great. Really not into ingrown hairs!
I haven't used an epilator, but thanks for posting this question. The replies you got have me thinking about trying it, as my waxing lady left me a couple years ago and everyone I have tried since then has done an insufficient job at it. Do you have trouble with ingrown hairs from waxing? I have heard that skin brushing helps with that, and I recall you do regular skin brushing (Although I don't particularly have a problem with ingrown hairs so I don't know if this is true or not.)
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 04:58 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotThatGirl View Post
I have a wet/dry Remington that I picked up at Target but is also available on Amazon. It was around $60-70 and I really like it. It gives you different "guards" so that you can do small areas as well as your legs. I really love mine. When I was researching it people commented that even though it wasn't as fast as other brands, they ended up liking this more because it really grabs the hairs and pulls out the bulb/root rather than "cutting" it which can lead to more ingrowns. I have to agree with this. Almost every hair mine pulls comes out in its entirety. I prefer to use it dry rather than wet but hairs do seem to come out a little easier after a hot shower. I just do my legs, tried my underarms but it hurts so much - numbing cream would be helpful there. I tried my bikini line not doing that again for a while
Hey NotThatGirl: Is this the one you use?: Remington Products EP7030 Smooth and Silky Wet/Dry Face and Body Epilator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
I have a corded Braun Silk Epil. I bought it from amazon about 5 years ago. It's a pretty nice model around $100.
Adawn: Do you use it on other parts of your body? How is it for legs and underarms?
Old 07-28-14, 05:14 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I tried PC's Ultra Serum, and although it felt nice on my skin, I didn't really notice anything from it. This was the first time I had ever tried a serum, so maybe I didn't know what to expect--what are they supposed to DO, exactly?
The antioxidant serum or the Vit. C serum? It's hard to keep it all straight!

The PC Vit. C serum is 15% Vitamin C, whereas the Timeless Vit. C is 20%. I haven't tried the PC Vit. C serum, but I've seen results with the Timeless Vit. C serum.

The PC Resist Super Antioxidant Serum makes my skin look a little smoother and brighter. It's hard to explain, but I feel like my skin is less dull and a little younger looking. Sort of like you had a good night's sleep and you're in a good mood, and you just look better! I don't know if that makes any sense, lol. It's nothing radical like botox, it's more like a little boost.

Having said all that, I think I've seen more results from the Timeless Vit. C serum than the PC Resist Super Antioxidant serum. The one product from PC that I've seen great results is the 2% BHA. It keeps me from breaking out.

But everyone's skin is different. The results will probably be different for each person.
Old 07-28-14, 05:27 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sherry, thanks for the info! It was the Ultralight Antioxidant Serum that I tried, this one:
http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/col...entrate-Serum/

I haven't tried a Vitamin C product, although I just got an offer to review one (not PC), so I'll have to see if that works better for me. I have PC's 4% BHA and haven't seen any great results from that, either; what HAS given me great results is Alpha Hydrox 10% Enhanced Lotion (an AHA).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 06:53 PM  
donnamp

Hi,

I'm not sure if Paula's Vitamin C is doing anything for me or not??? The 4% BHA wasn't good for my skin at all - sort of gave me a sunburn! And, now, I'm finding that I'm having trouble tolerating retinol - getting the sunburn effect from that too.

Has anyone tried Paula's Skin brightening treatment?

http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/skin-care-categories/
skin-lighteners/_/Resist-Pure-Radiance-Skin-Brightening-Treatment/

I don't have a lot of discoloration, and I'm mainly looking for something to give me a little boost/radiance.

For the past few days I have been trying to calm my skin down and I have been using Cerave. So far, so good, fingers crossed that this can "normalize" my skin and get it to calm down.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 09:26 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post

Adawn: Do you use it on other parts of your body? How is it for legs and underarms?
I tried it on underarms a few times. It actually drew blood the first time and was quite painful. Kept getting ingrowns so I gave up the painful practice. I don’t recommend it at all for bikini line due to pain and ingrowns. I went back to using nair on my bikini line and shaving underarms.

For legs, the pain wasn’t too bad but it felt like it took a long time to do my whole leg (I have a lot of hair) and I found that my hair grows back fast enough that I couldn’t go weeks between epilating. I had some ingrowns but not as many as with underarms. I eventually went back to shaving since that seems faster and gives a smoother finish.

For some reason I don’t get ingrowns on my face. Maybe because I use a face scrub 1-2x/day. I also use the epilator on my happy trail region and rarely get ingrowns there. But there’s also not a ton of hair there to begin with, either. TMI?

FWIW, the first time you epilate may be the most painful because the hair roots are well-established. If you keep up with the epilating and do it as soon as the new hair is long enough for the epilator to grab, it’s less painful than waiting until it’s totally grown in.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 10:22 PM  
NotThatGirl

Quote:
Yes! That's the one! I really should write a review for it because it's really worked well for me. One more thing - I do think any sting or discomfort lessens the more you use it (at least on my legs).

And like I said, for underarms, I actually prefer individual tweezing over how it feels to use epilator right there for some reason. (I don't actually do that but the pain threshold is that different to me).

Eta: I should have read adawn's response first! I have to second how much it hurts in the underarm area. And I could not imagine doing the whole bikini area. I tried it in the shower once and it was really unbearable. I'm not sure there is a circumstance that exists where I could successfully manage that. It was kind of like this:
http://reactiongifs.com/?p=7060
NotThatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 10:51 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotThatGirl View Post
Yes! That's the one! I really should write a review for it because it's really worked well for me. One more thing - I do think any sting or discomfort lessens the more you use it (at least on my legs).

And like I said, for underarms, I actually prefer individual tweezing over how it feels to use epilator right there for some reason. (I don't actually do that but the pain threshold is that different to me).

Eta: I should have read adawn's response first! I have to second how much it hurts in the underarm area. And I could not imagine doing the whole bikini area. I tried it in the shower once and it was really unbearable. I'm not sure there is a circumstance that exists where I could successfully manage that. It was kind of like this:
http://reactiongifs.com/?p=7060
Oh pop...I didn't se what you said in your OP about under arms. Sorry to keep asking...but how does it compare to waxing. I guess I would imagine it would hurt more since waxing is quick, but is it sort of that sort of thing?

And one more question...do you use it on your face? How is it?
Old 07-28-14, 11:07 PM  
NotThatGirl

Quote:
Oh pop...I didn't se what you said in your OP about under arms. Sorry to keep asking...but how does it compare to waxing. I guess I would imagine it would hurt more since waxing is quick, but is it sort of that sort of thing?

And one more question...do you use it on your face? How is it?
No worries! I'm glad if I can be helpful at all

I haven't waxed for a long time and stopped because it gave me spider veins. If I could wax I probably would but this is less messy to me. I tried so many waxes and was never really happy with any of it. This I lucked out on and have enjoyed from the beginning.

Waxing is definitely quicker and this is obviously more prolonged (I usually make a few passes to get all the hair) but it probably is about the same to me. I like that I can do quick touch ups by the hair quickly if I need to which was not something I thought was easy to do with waxing (I usually ended up shaving if I missed a spot). Thinking about it a little more, I actually think this is slightly less painful because I have experienced less discomfort the more I have used it.

I don't use it on my face but I have heard a lot of people have success with "tinkles." Worst name ever but they are cheap and supposed to work like a charm for any fuzzy hairs on the face:http://www.amazon.com/Jessica-Tinkle.../dp/B000BIUGFK
NotThatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 09:18 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Sherry, thanks for the info! It was the Ultralight Antioxidant Serum that I tried, this one:
http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/col...entrate-Serum/

I haven't tried a Vitamin C product, although I just got an offer to review one (not PC), so I'll have to see if that works better for me. I have PC's 4% BHA and haven't seen any great results from that, either; what HAS given me great results is Alpha Hydrox 10% Enhanced Lotion (an AHA).
I've been wanting to try the Ultralight one too. Sometimes I think this is just a mental thing for me, that doing something makes me feel better, lol.

I've tried PC's AHA and Alpha Hydrox's AHA, and neither worked for me as well as the 2% BHA. Everyone's skin is so different and I guess it just takes trial and error to figure it out.

From what I've read, the Vit. C serums that are most effective are 20% Vitamin C, and also have Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin E, and Ferulic Acid. However, I've seen You Tube videos of people who make their own Vit. C serum with distilled water and Vit. C powder, and they claim that is effective too.

Tags
beauty, beauty thread, cosmetics, makeupalley, paula's choice, shapewear, skin care, spanx