Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-15, 03:42 PM  
intelsana

Thank you all sooo much! I actually feel some hope since you all gave me so much to look into.
intelsana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 03:44 PM  
intelsana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Girl View Post
Hi Ladies!
I am a Functional and Integrative Nutritionist and Registered Dietitian. I am trained to work with adrenal dysfunction and am recovering from it myself. Feel free to PM me
I am sending you a message now!
intelsana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 03:59 PM  
SuzieC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraKate View Post
saliva test?

I thought adrenal insufficiency only had blood and urine tests.

cool
Adrenal insufficiency can be diagnosed with blood/urine tests but these are not accurate for adrenal fatigue testing - they are not the same thing at all (insufficiency and fatigue, that is)
SuzieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 04:14 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieC View Post
Adrenal insufficiency can be diagnosed with blood/urine tests but these are not accurate for adrenal fatigue testing - they are not the same thing at all (insufficiency and fatigue, that is)
ah

drat

good to know
Old 11-12-15, 04:29 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I had this problem when I was in my thirties with a lot going on in my life. I'm a bit OCD and have never handled day to day stresses well. I took cortisone, but it didn't seem to make much difference. I was diagnosed after an MRI of my adrenals, plus lots of urine testing by a regular MD.
Old 11-12-15, 06:11 PM  
SuzieC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
Yup. And by then you're in a real mess.

So hydrocortisone worked for you?
It did somewhat but my results were short lived. My thyroid meds weren't working well, we kept increasing them and my numbers weren't changing. I can't remember the explanation too well, but it was something about my body not absorbing the meds well. I also have very low iron. The plan was to fix my iron levels and my adrenals, so that my thyroid meds would work better (not sure if I'm explaining this right).

In any case, yes, I felt better on the hydrocortisone - I was finally able to wake up in the morning without feeling like I had been repeatedly run over by a truck all night. And somehow, I was able to lose weight a bit more easily (still had to work very hard but was getting some results!)

But HC is not a long-term thing. I went off the HC, and shortly after had another Hashimoto's inflammation and went hyperthyroid. So I'm basically starting from scratch again (trying to get my iron levels up again, trying to stabilize my thyroid meds etc). It's been a long road.

I'm off the HC, but recently took adrenal support meds (Ortho-Adapt). I do this with the close guidance of an integrative doctor. I would never supplement with adrenal support of any kind without the guidance of an experienced doctor.

Hope this helps! If you want to hear more of my sob story feel free to PM me.
Old 11-12-15, 06:15 PM  
SuzieC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mle777 View Post
Agreed. My cortisol level came back at the same level in the mornings as it is for most people when they go to bed at night. It then proceeded to drop throughout the day. Do you know what my endocrinologist prescribed me? Metformin. It's what they give to people who are prediabetic or have PCOS. My periods were regular. My blood sugar was perfect. She winked at me and said that it would help me lose the weight that I'd gained since the fatigue hit me. I never filled the prescription and never went back to her again.
Just wow.
Yeah, I had the same thing, low morning cortisol and high nighttime cortisol. I would always wake up at around 2:30-3:00 am, too. People who don't go through this don't know how badly it can affect your life. I'm sorry you are going through this too.
Old 11-12-15, 06:29 PM  
SuzieC

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
For those of you who think or know you have adrenal fatigue - what kind of workouts do you do? I've heard that cardio is bad for us - only makes it worse. I tend to focus on barre and strength/lifting - yet I'm still tired and can't lose weight. I'm thinking about doing some TA....

what do you guys do that's beneficial?
I can only provide you with my experience. I hope it helps. A few ago, I was in pretty good shape, not overweight, and I exercised with weights and did cardio. Not super duper heavy training, but I did the Firm, Jillian Michaels, workouts like that. I used 5 lb weights for tricep work, and up to 10 lbs for bicep and other arms. Lots of lunges and squats as is normal in these workouts.
Fast forward a few years. The weight piled on. I'm not talking 5 lbs, I'm talking about 50 lbs! Yet I was eating pretty clean, growing my own sprouts, dehydrating stuff, etc. And exercising!

I got to the point where these types of workouts would just fatigue my muscles SO much. I don't even get DOMS anymore. But I would be really really fatigued. So I couldn't do these workouts more than 1 or 2 times a week. I could do light cardio. But my body obviously needs a lot more to shed some of this weight.

I started doing Tracy Anderson. I started with Meta. It was SO super challenging for me, at 200 lbs (trust me, it was not a pretty scene), but I persevered. Why? Because of the way it works the muscles, you are not overworking any large muscle groups. I know there might not be any "science" to support what she says, but for me, her claim of working more smaller muscles and not overworking any one repeatedly is so true.
I could work out 4-5 times a week without feeling so fatigued. Yet don't get me wrong, I was sweating up a storm. For the first time in a very long time, I actually felt GOOD after a workout and not so fatigued I wanted to cry.

If I ever meet Tracy, I'm going to give her a big hug and squeeze her teeny tiny body and I'm going to tell her she saved my life! I was able to lose 50 lbs. I've put some weight back on (other stuff happened in my life) but have maintained about a 37 lb weight loss. I look slimmer than I am, because Tracy's work really pulls everything in.

The bonus about Meta is that even the muscular structure work has a cardio effect. When I did Meta I also did 15-20 minutes of her cardio, but never the entire 30 minutes. It was too much for my fatigued body. And I usually did the Teen Meta cardio, which has less jumping.

i think supplementing Meta with other low-impact cardio would be a good thing (don't tell Tracy I said that ), like Jessica Smith's walking workouts.

If anyone wants any Tracy recommendations or wants more detail on how to start when "adrenally fatigued", feel free to PM me. You have all helped me tremendously on this forum, I hope I can give a little back to someone.

Oh and one more thing - Kundalini yoga really helps the glandular system. A few minutes of breath of fire for me, can make the difference between crawling back into bed in the middle of the day, and getting enough energy to pull through the day.
Old 11-12-15, 06:36 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

suzy, thanks for sharing your story. did you have to change your eating habits (no need to provide the details- yes/no answer is fine) ?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 07:58 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

SuzieC, I've been struggling with iron as well. My iron dropped quite a bit, and suddenly, in 2011. I've been on iron ever since and I am seven years post-menopausal. I've had lots of test looking for internal bleeding but there's no evidence of that so it's an absorption thing.

Thyroid meds have never helped me feel better, but my labs are all okay (except I think my last doctor kept my TSH too low). I've gained about 45 pounds and can't get it off no matter what I do.

I've heard functional med doctors say that if you have a thyroid issue, you have an adrenal issue. I'm not sure why.

Sue, I mostly do heavy weight training these days with some walk dvds and easy spins on the bike. I completely lost my ability to do high intensity cardio. I used to do tuck jumps and air jacks fairly frequently and easily but my body just won't do them anymore. The amount of fitness I've lost is depressing. I tried TA but just couldn't do it. Too repetitive and too painful.

Tags
adrenal fatigue, fatigue