Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-15, 08:51 AM  
ncl

I am betting there are many books on adrenal fatigue. No, most traditional doctors are not well versed in this. They just don't teach it in medical school. I would also look for a functional medicine doctor. I heard a podcast from a functional medicine doctor on this and it was quite good and they had also written a book.

OK, looked it up. It was The Adrenal Reset Diet by Alan Christiansen and Sara Gottfried (both functional medicine doctors...Sara Gottfried is also an MD...he might be as well, don't know).

My understanding is that it is related to chronic, high level stress so your adrenals are ON all the time and get burned out. I am pretty sure you can just treat this yourself, but a functional medicine doctor might be helpful to guide you and make suggestions.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 08:57 AM  
bjammin13
VF Supporter

Precision Nutrition has a bunch of info regarding Adrenal Fatigue on their forum, blog and if I remember from blog post have done work with people on recovery from it. Sorry about the diagnosis and wishing you quick relief!
bjammin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 09:02 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieC View Post

Edited to add: endocrinologists, from my experience, do not acknowledge adrenal fatigue. If it's not Addisons or Cushings disease, they will not feel there is any issues with the adrenals.
Yup. And by then you're in a real mess.

So hydrocortisone worked for you?
Old 11-12-15, 09:55 AM  
mle777

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieC View Post
Edited to add: endocrinologists, from my experience, do not acknowledge adrenal fatigue. If it's not Addisons or Cushings disease, they will not feel there is any issues with the adrenals.
Agreed. My cortisol level came back at the same level in the mornings as it is for most people when they go to bed at night. It then proceeded to drop throughout the day. Do you know what my endocrinologist prescribed me? Metformin. It's what they give to people who are prediabetic or have PCOS. My periods were regular. My blood sugar was perfect. She winked at me and said that it would help me lose the weight that I'd gained since the fatigue hit me. I never filled the prescription and never went back to her again.

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 10:09 AM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
Is it relate to stress and lack of sleep?
I think so! I was a train wreck of health problems earlier this year and I think adrenal fatigue was a big part of it, yet no doctor wanted to touch that topic. Stress and lack of sleep were big contributors to my health unraveling for sure. I was lucky to find a chiropractor/naturopath/acupuncturist to finally address adrenal fatigue and other issues.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 11:05 AM  
Coastal Girl

Hi Ladies!
I am a Functional and Integrative Nutritionist and Registered Dietitian. I am trained to work with adrenal dysfunction and am recovering from it myself. Feel free to PM me
Coastal Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 02:13 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Girl View Post
Hi Ladies!
I am a Functional and Integrative Nutritionist and Registered Dietitian. I am trained to work with adrenal dysfunction and am recovering from it myself. Feel free to PM me
Will you PM me? I can't get anything to work for me on VF these days.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 02:25 PM  
momofcha

For those of you who think or know you have adrenal fatigue - what kind of workouts do you do? I've heard that cardio is bad for us - only makes it worse. I tend to focus on barre and strength/lifting - yet I'm still tired and can't lose weight. I'm thinking about doing some TA....

what do you guys do that's beneficial?

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 02:36 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

saliva test?

I thought adrenal insufficiency only had blood and urine tests.

cool
Old 11-12-15, 02:41 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
Is it relate to stress and lack of sleep?
I was going to say the same thing.

over the past 4 years, I've managed to incorporate meditation, do more yoga, and focus on getting more sleep. I was laid up the past few days due to illness, and was getting 8 hours of sleep plus naps. I feel really good now!

sleep is the new status symbol, I read somewhere.

EDITED TO ADD: reducing stress and increasing sleep sounds like a "chicken or egg" dilemma, but the process is more iterative than sequential. in other words, you may need to have a strategy that works on several things at once, re-evaluate, then continue with that strategy. Also, it takes a lot of time, with or without meds.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adrenal fatigue, fatigue