Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-12-20, 06:27 PM  
BunnyHop

My sister took a trip a few weekends ago to visit a dying friend (not related to this pandemic, but the pandemic isn't helping). She said that things were really deserted, which I guess makes sense.
Old 05-12-20, 06:37 PM  
Carol K

Of course, even if our flight isn't cancelled, it's very possible the stay-at-home order in Chicago STILL won't be lifted by the end of June, so then we'll have to cancel.
Old 05-12-20, 07:49 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
Of course, even if our flight isn't cancelled, it's very possible the stay-at-home order in Chicago STILL won't be lifted by the end of June, so then we'll have to cancel.
If the airline cancels the flight, do you get a full refund? I know when we had to cancel our flight due to the pandemic that the airline could credit us, but would not refund us. Would it make a difference if you have travel insurance?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-20, 08:00 PM  
Carol K

It depends on the rules the airline tells you when you purchase your flight. In our case, we'll be able to cancel and reschedule the flight later without paying a fee. I'm also going to purchase a flight for August using reward miles and in that case, if we have to cancel, I'll get the reward miles restored without a fee. I've never purchased travel insurance, but I think I read somewhere that it wouldn't help with pandemic related changes. Maybe someone else knows. I'm not sure what happens if the airline cancels the flight. I've never had that happen until we were already at the airport and then we just had to get another flight.
Old 05-13-20, 11:48 AM  
Hsim

Not that recently but ... my husband and I took a short trip to Ca. from NY the week before Christmas. Within 2 days of arriving he came down with the flu and he was down for the count the rest of the trip and flight home. Within a couple of days after arriving home I got sick myself. Since I got a flu shot in October I am wondering if perhaps I caught covid 19 while out there or on the plane ride home. We did not even have the same symptoms. He was dizzy and nauseous, I had a fever and bad cough.
The bottom line is it's very easy to pick up germs in airports and on planes.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 01:02 PM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncl View Post
You could not pay me to fly right now. You are breathing everyone elses air on a plane. Please be very careful, VFers!
Gosh I so agree. I LOVE to travel but will not be getting on a plane--unless it's absolutely necessary--until there is a vaccine (or we reach some kind of herd immunity). It's one of the more dangerous places to be at the moment.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 01:30 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh1673 View Post
Gosh I so agree. I LOVE to travel but will not be getting on a plane--unless it's absolutely necessary--until there is a vaccine (or we reach some kind of herd immunity). It's one of the more dangerous places to be at the moment.
I agree! We have friends who caught the virus traveling home in March, either in an airport or on a flight. They had two flight legs to get home, so three airports & two airplanes later.... Both came through it basically okay, but it was pretty brutal and they are still working on getting their strength back.

ETA We flew home from Hawaii at the end of Feb & I was immensely glad to be home and healthy! I won’t be going anywhere for a long while!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 01:47 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

We rarely fly anywhere anymore. It's such a chore and a bore. You couldn't PAY me to get on an airplane now.

Our last few flights have been awful. On one long flight the aircraft only had ONE restroom. On another coming back from Hawaii, they ran out of food and gave us bananas! WTH!

I'm old enough to remember when flying was fun and even somewhat glamorous!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 02:06 PM  
Carol K

My father remembers when flying was all about customer service. Now it's about customer abuse. I would be happy to never fly again, except that we're in Chicago, my family is in California and my in-laws are in New York. But I really don't think Chicago is ever going to open up, so we'll probably be cancelling our end of June flight to New York and maybe even our August flight to California.
Old 05-14-20, 08:36 AM  
kathym
VF Supporter

We have not flown yet but intend to whenever we need to and are not visiting individuals that may be at risk. We fly out of an area that had only a moderate amount of cases.
We will of course wear a face mask and probably a plastic visor. I tend to touch my face so a visor is a good idea. I may also do disposable gloves.
We plan to go to Hawaii in August or September. I am older but have no comorbidities so percentage of adverse is about 1%. Family members intend to fly here at the end of June so I will know a bit more then.

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19