Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-14-20, 10:13 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I started SOS week 4 today instead of yesterday. It was two 15 minute workouts from WS3 that I'm pretty sure I had never done before, or hadn't done in so long that I don't remember them. Both were great! There was also an ab workout on the schedule but I skipped that one because the two I did already had quite a bit of ab work. I also went for another early 30 minute walk this morning. I'm going to get as many early walks in as possible before the weather goes back to being hot and humid on Friday.

Waves!
Old 06-14-20, 08:41 PM  
Leonana

I got back Saturday evening from my trip. I really enjoyed it, it's so pretty in the mountains, and it's about 20 degrees cooler than here. My brother and sil, and my sister, retired there. They do get snow in the winter, but it's not very much and doesn't stick around long. Of course, it gets busy in their town on weekends, with all the people from Phoenix coming up for the cooler weather.

I didn't do the schedule, like I planned. I never do, lol. But I did go for a three mile walk with my sil and her friend on Friday morning. They live in a hilly area, so it was a pretty good workout. I also helped my sil move bricks around her front yard. But no exercise on Thursday and Saturday, or today. I meant to work out today, but I guess I just needed a vacation!

wishiwasinhawaii, I'm glad to hear your job is safe. That must be a relief.

Donna, great job on the workouts!
Old 06-15-20, 08:11 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

I forgot to post yesterday, but it was mainly a lazy day. I did:

Body Groove - Gentle Groovy Pilates - I actually enjoyed this one - it isn't a traditional Pilates workout - but more Pilates inspired and very laid back although there was some good floorwork in there. The DVD has 5 chapters - ranging from 7 - 15 minutes so it is easy to do this one in parts.

Other than that, I was very lazy yesterday.

Today, was back to Strong & Calm. I talked myself into doing:

Cardio Abs - Cardio Abs workout - which was kickboxing - it was fast paced w/ some high impact, but I modified and went slower and skipped the impact. So, it was actually do-able, even though I have been scared of this workout for some time. After doing it, however, I realized I did the WRONG workout on the rotation - I was actually supposed to do Total Body Abs Transformer which is a "metabolic" workout. Oh well. At least I did something. I *may*, if I have time, do the Single Sided Strength workout that is listed for today on You Tube at lunch time. But we'll see if I feel the need to do that. I have a busy day w/ meetings today but should be able to get away for 20 minutes

Caribbean Workout - Pilates - Focus on Abs - decided to throw this in as an add on.

My DD is going to be a counselor at the horse camp this summer. They are doing a modified camp - fewer kids, masks, social distancing, health checks, etc. On the one hand I'm nervous about her doing it but on the other hand, I think a summer spent alone in her bedroom w/ video games/internet time is ultimately worse than the risk of COVID. Fortunately, Maryland seems to be on a downslide of cases, so I hope that sticks. I'm afraid that as we continue to open things up people start to get over confident and then become careless about taking precautions. I think that is what is happening in the states where they are seeing upticks in cases. I guess it is human nature, but still. I'm not eager to spend a lot of time inside a crowded place....

wishiwasinhawaii - that is good news about your job, as much as I like to complain about working, I'm thankful to have a job! Good job w/ SOS. I like that rotation template, but I would need to add more cardio since I don't get any in real life - sitting most of the day - especially during the week. The weather is nice - yesterday was chilly! I was a total couch potato, though.

welcome back, Sherry! I think we just need days off from time to time. It sounds like you had a good time!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-20, 08:58 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

This morning I went for a bike ride to a local park that has a wooded area. It was nice to be out in nature for a bit. I wanted to stay longer but had to get back home to start work, but the weather was perfect. I also saw my nephew who was jogging, so that was a nice surprise. After that, I did the SOS workout for today which was yoga from youtube. I did the youtube version because it was shorter and I didn't have time for the longer DVD workout.

Donna, I agree SOS doesn't have enough cardio. As I was saying recently, some of the workouts are a fusion so you get some cardio, but I'm looking to get steps in for the challenge at work, so I've been adding in walks throughout the day. The pedometer does not pick up steps when bike riding, so I'm behind today and will have to go out during lunch for a walk, but the weather is great so I don't mind!

Glad to hear your DD will be working as a counselor. I agree it's better for kids that age to be out doing something. As long as everyone is wearing a mask, she'll be fine. My nephew has been working at a convenience store for about a month and hasn't had any issues. We are starting to see an increase in cases here too but people can't stay indoors forever either. I'm concerned though that they're going to drop the mask requirement and if that happens, then I will go back to staying in.

Sherry, Glad to hear you had a good time! The 3 mile walk sounds amazing. I bet you had some very pretty views! I really need to get out with nature soon. The area I want to go to has not opened the public bathrooms yet so I can't go until that happens because it's over an hour away, lol.
Old 06-15-20, 08:53 PM  
Leonana

Today was SOS Stepping Strength, I did the 45 minute dvd workout. I used five pounds for the entire workout. This does have some cardio in it, so that was good. I think I might add in a short walk on the yoga days.

I went to a new dentist today for a checkup. I have to get another crown, but I'm not surprised, I could tell the filling had broken off in that tooth. I'm just glad that they caught it before it becomes painful. So I go in a week from Wednesday to get that taken care of. And my other tooth, the one with the too high crown done in December, is still pain free. There is no sign of infection. Yay! Crossing my fingers it stays that way. I also need a couple of filings. My experience with my teeth this past year has taught me to get the work done right away, before it becomes even more expensive. My dh is getting a lot of work this year, and it's such a relief to be financially able to get things like this taken care of. You know, it's not fancy things that make you feel rich, it's dental work, lol.

My sister in law and brother winter in our hometown of Yuma, which is on the border, so I'm going to visit them this fall, and see about an implant for the tooth I lost a year ago. She told me it's only $1400 for an implant in Mexico, and they go there all the time for their dental work. That's where my money will go, that I get working for the census this summer, lol.

Our state's virus numbers are going up, but they are doing more testing, so it would go up. Fortunately, our hospitals are handling it okay. You'd think this would make more people wear masks, but it hasn't happened yet. It's still about 50/50 every time I go in the store. My dentist made everyone wear a mask in the waiting room.

Donna, I'm glad your dd can be a counselor. I'm sure it will be beneficial for her.

wishiwasinhawaii, yes, the area is very pretty! It's in a wooded area, and sometimes you can see deer on a walk. So different from the desert. My sister's house has wonderful views, her house is on a hill.
Old 06-16-20, 07:49 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning was:

Jessica - 1 Mile from the 5 Mile DVD - I think it was the boogie down mile. I can't really keep all the titles straight, LOL!

Jessica - Dynamic Stretch

While I'm enjoying this rotation, I admit to wistfully looking at Ellen B and Jessica Valent from time to time. I guess I just need variety, but I do also want to finish this rotation, I like the workouts and I think a sense of accomplishment would follow completion of the rotation!

Sherry - good job on Stepping Strength, that is a tough one. And, I hear you re: the dentist, whenever I have slacked off on going or taking care of something for whatever reason, it just brings about more financial and physical pain.

wishiwasinhawaii - I'm also on a quest for more steps! I am going to attempt to add another walk on today during lunch.

Hope everyone has a good day

Donna
Old 06-16-20, 12:12 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I had an early meeting today, so I went for a short walk outside. I have the afternoon off for a doctor's appointment so I will do today's workout later tonight.

I don't know if you both follow the Jessica Smith Junkies page on FB, but someone posted that she had an email conversation with Jessica about her next DVD series and she said COVID put her a bit behind schedule, but she plans to start shooting in the early fall.

Will post an update later...
Old 06-17-20, 07:36 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning was:

The Dreaded Metabolic Conditioning from Walk Strong 3 - I have to report, it wasn't as bad as I feared - I did not use the step, mainly b/c i didn't feel like dragging it out and I kept my weights at 5 lbs through the whole thing. This is definitely a workout that you can make harder if you go w/ heavier weights and a step or more moderate by using lighter weights/no step. I'm glad I conquered my fear of this one!

I added on w/ Jill Miller Yoga Tune Up At Home - Level 1, Month 1, Program A. This program is really good for me, but I get bored with it. It is one of those things I should incorporate in a few times a week, though. I have to be in the mood to do it - and lately I haven't been in the mood for yoga w/ a lot of spiritual talk - so Jill does fit the bill in there as her approach is definitely more physical/physical therapy.

I did tack on an extra indoor mile yesterday and also a short walk outside.

wishiwasinhawaii - thanks for the update on Jessica!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
Old 06-17-20, 12:47 PM  
Leonana

Yesterday was some walking and then the 15 Minute yoga Stretch from Yoga Fusion Fix in the evening. The SOS had a 30 minute yoga, but I was tired. Today I'm planning on following the schedule and doing the 47 Minute Fusion Strength workout from Feel Good Fusion.

Donna, I have discovered the same thing with WS3, modifying definitely changes my impression of the workouts. When I did it initially, I followed Jessica, so my memory of it was of difficult workouts. However, doing it recently has changed my views of it.

wishiwasinhawaii, I did see the post in the FB Group. I'm actually one of the moderators, although I'm not as active as Vikki. She is so good at encouragement. I mostly just monitor the posts, answer questions, and add new members. By the time I do all that, my introvert energy is depleted. I have to admit, I'm not confident enough to email Jessica, so I'm glad Janessa does it, lol. I am excited about new workouts. I'm not surprised that the virus has delayed things, I kind of suspected that.
Old 06-17-20, 07:57 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Today was Yoga for Back Pain Prevention, but I don't have the DVD and the youtube option was too long, so I found another yoga back workout on Jessica's Gentle Yoga DVD that was only 20 minutes long, so I did that. I actually had never used the DVD before and I really enjoyed it (and I hate yoga!). That's why I like these rotations Jessica comes up with because I always discover a workout I didn't know about.

I also went for a walk in the park this morning before I started working. I found some trails I want to explore more, hopefully tomorrow. I also went for a few shorter walks throughout the day. The weather has been great so I've been trying to take advantage. Starting Friday, it's going to get hot and humid so I won't be going out much once that starts up again. Boo!

I went to a doctor's appointment yesterday and it was weird. That was the first one I've been to since the pandemic started and there was a nurse standing guard at the door. She whipped out a thermometer and took my temperature before she'd let me go in and asked me a bunch of questions about if I'd had any COVID symptoms. I told her no and she let me in. The appointment itself went fast because there were no other patients there! It was very eerie. Everyone was wearing a mask. The doctor and some nurses were wearing two masks. I was only there about 10 minutes total.

Donna, Congrats on getting through Metabolic Conditioning! I'll have to try lighter weights next time because I used 8 lbs the last time I did it. I did Total Focus yesterday and that was very similar to MetCon. I could barely move this morning.

Sherry, I forgot you are a moderator on that FB group! Vikki is very active and Janessa is like a liaison between Jessica and the group, LOL. Your trip to visit your sister sounds like paradise. It's interesting you can go over the border to get dental work done. It's great you have that option!