Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-23, 02:27 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question People who won't do their home PT exercises.

I have been going for physical therapy. I do my best to do my home PT exercises. Sometimes, I even do more. (And, I admit I may skip a day sometimes.)

I am surprised by people who refuse to do their home PT. I just don't understand why.

A friend of a friend had knee surgery. Her knee felt so much better after the surgery that she didn't bother to do the post-op rehab. Now, she has limited range of motion in her knee.

The other day, I talked to a woman in the waiting room who has lymphedema from breast cancer treatment. She has been going to PT for treatment for years because she refuses to do the exercises at home. I also mentioned that reducing sodium can sometimes help with lymphedema. She said, "Yeah, like that's going to happen!"

Well, OK then!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-23, 03:46 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

it's very common. it's like when doc gives you Rx for something, you pick up the Rx (or not) and leave it in the medicine cabinet.

or you buy prescription glasses and don't use them.

or leave the hospital early against medical advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
A friend of a friend had knee surgery. Her knee felt so much better after the surgery that she didn't bother to do the post-op rehab. Now, she has limited range of motion in her knee.
yes - absolutely. this is because surgery creates scar tissue and scar tissue = immobility. so stretching that baby out by bending it per your PT's instructions is necessary.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-23, 04:27 PM  
Gams

bzar - or the people who spend thousands of dollars for hearing aids and then leave them in their dresser drawer

My stepmom refuses to do her physical therapy - she wouldn’t do it at home and won’t do it in the nursing home - even after Dad and the doctor told her she couldn’t go home until she was walking again.

The last time my leg was broken, I went to physical therapy and also did physical therapy at home. My husband brought his work table into the house and I would sit on top of it and do my exercises. I also used Karen Voight’s Ease Into Fitness. My physical therapist told me I would never have full range of motion in that leg again, but he was wrong! Ha ha!
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-23, 04:42 PM  
dnna

Hearing aids are extremely difficult to adapt to, especially when you are older and getting them for the first time. very very difficult.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-23, 05:01 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
bzar - or the people who spend thousands of dollars for hearing aids and then leave them in their dresser drawer
my grandpa actually used his - only because my mom, an RN, took the time to help him put it on. i think, though, after a while, he stopped putting it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
The last time my leg was broken, I went to physical therapy and also did physical therapy at home. My husband brought his work table into the house and I would sit on top of it and do my exercises. I also used Karen Voight’s Ease Into Fitness. My physical therapist told me I would never have full range of motion in that leg again, but he was wrong! Ha ha!
this is a nice success story and vindication of the insufferable vidiots. proud of you!

i had major surgery a few times that didn't require physical therapy, but i made sure i "got back on the horse" for mild walking and stretching.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-23, 05:17 PM  
bubbles76

Fortunately for me, my home PT exercises were already being covered by Linda Wooldridge and Margaret Richard dvds . I swear, the same exercises they gave me in PT was covered in some form by the workouts I was already doing. So to me it just felt like working out when I did my PT. Maybe some people don't like doing them because they feel like workouts and they don't like to work out? Or maybe doing the PT in addition to their other workouts is too strenuous?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-23, 05:43 PM  
Gams

I think a lot of people have trouble with hearing aids, which stinks because they are soo expensive. My dad wears his - usually. I’m pretty sure he wasn’t wearing them when I called him the other day:

Me: Dad, I’m at Subway - would you like me to bring you a sandwich?

Dad: What?

Me: I’m at Subway would you like me to bring you a sandwich?

Dad: What?

Me: I’m at Subway - would you like me to bring you a sandwich?

Dad: Sure!

Me: Okay, what would you like?

Dad: I’ll have some beef lo mein

(I leave Subway and head for the Golden Inn...)
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-23, 06:17 PM  
ChelePA

Interesting topic. My husband is completely guilty of this with his back. It’s a lifelong thing and he needs to follow through but usually only starts doing his home program again when there are issues. I’ve had so many conversations about preventative exercise instead of waiting until he hurts himself. I used to get so upset but now I realize that I can’t change him.

After my car accident, I had physical therapy for four months. They discharged me using a walker and wheelchair to get around. I could only manage a 1.4 speed on the treadmill and that’s while I held onto the rails. I decided at that point this wasn’t my max capabilities and started my own home and exercise routine. I can gladly say that almost 2 years later and I’ve made tremendous progress. I can walk at speeds of 4.2 and greater on the treadmill independently. I still have chronic pain and inflammation, and I don’t think I will ever get my full range of motion back. But if I didn’t continue on my own, I would probably still require many assistive devices for daily life. It’s a commitment to get up each morning and follow through on some type of program. I definitely notice a major difference when I’m sick and need to take a few days off. It will forever be part of my morning schedule. Otherwise, my mobility feels off for the rest of the day.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-23, 06:58 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I've been doing my knee PT exercises every night (with a skip here and there) since 2016.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-23, 07:44 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
Interesting topic. My husband is completely guilty of this with his back. It’s a lifelong thing and he needs to follow through but usually only starts doing his home program again when there are issues. I’ve had so many conversations about preventative exercise instead of waiting until he hurts himself. I used to get so upset but now I realize that I can’t change him.
My husband too. The short time he actually did do the suggested routine he admitted he felt better but then stopped. I too have tried to have conversations with him, he agrees then does nothing. I don't want to be mean but when he mentions something is bothering him I pretend I don't hear him.

Years ago I was staying with my mom after she was hospitalized for a minor stroke. She wouldn't do what the PT told her to because "she didn't like to exercise". I told her she better start because I wanted to go home and if she wanted to stay in her home she better get with the program. Sometimes I can be wicked.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
physical therapy, prehab, rehab