Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-14, 12:52 PM  
SueT

I'm definitely interested in a Joyce check-in. Right now I can only do her upper body workouts while I wait for my knee surgery on July 18th, but at least I feel like I'm doing something. I plan to do a Joyce rotation when I get clearance from my surgeon.

Sue
SueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 01:01 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie_p View Post

I am grateful this thread was started. I just did my third Joyce Vedral workout today (and third this week), and I think it's just what I need right now! I have been using the Weight Training Made Easier book. I own Speedy Nonstop and Now or Never/Top Shape. The 6 dvd package she has seems like such a great deal. I'm trying to decide what to get.
winnie_p I'd like to get your thoughts on Speedy Nonstop and Now or Never, I haven't previewed them yet. In Now or Never does she move slowly and lift heavy weights? ~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 01:07 PM  
Mandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by met fan View Post
Dose anyone have any experience with her "Toning for Teens". I picked it up at Goodwill awhile ago but my daughter barely looked at it. But, it looks solid for any age. I'm thinking of giving it a try.
My twin 19 year old daughters love the workout so much they memorized it and do it on their own with their own music turned up loud
They only like the workout, not the info about diet. In fact, they didn't even read the whole book. They just follow the workout.
Its basically Joyce's Fat Burning 1 workout where you work in giant sets within the same muscle group.
Toning for Teens is a split. Upper one day and Lower & Abs the next day.
Old 07-10-14, 01:18 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethlakey View Post
I would be interested in a check in, I'm probably going to be focusing on BUG+ for awhile.

I have a rebounder too and need to pull that out. Joyce said in an article she tries to walk 50 minutes every day and as someone who dislikes cardio, I may give it a try. It's so pretty outside in Denver right now I need to get out. ~Beth
OK, I'll start a check-in right now and post the link below.

I'm doing a modified version of the Super Shake-Up Plan.

OK, here's the link for the check-in, with apologies for the corny title!

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 01:24 PM  
winnie_p
VF Supporter

Quote:
winnie_p I'd like to get your thoughts on Speedy Nonstop and Now or Never, I haven't previewed them yet. In Now or Never does she move slowly and lift heavy weights? ~Beth
Well, embarrassingly, I can't say for sure, but both seem to be about the same slower pace as her newer workouts with Marthe counting. Top Shape didn't seem much slower than the rest, although she is using a barbell instead of dumbbells for some exercises. Although I do own these DVDs, I never really used them and am just pulling them out. I have only done routines from her books thus far. A couple of other posters recommended them from actual experience upthread!
winnie_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 01:29 PM  
met fan

Quote:
Is that the same workout as the college one with Marthe? I've heard some really great things about that one just using 5 lb dumbbells.
No. I think they are different. Toning for Teens is a thin but large book. I think it has lots of photos. I have to dig it out and check it out.
met fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 01:29 PM  
Mandy

Quote:
I love both! Both are very different.

Speedy is fast and gets the job done quickly. I use 7,8 and 10 lb db. Its a split in super duber giant setting. Upper body day 1 and she alternates biceps, triceps, shoulders and then you lay down on a bench or step and do more chest and triceps. Then after the 2nd set, you do a tough giant set of abs. Then finish with the last set with heaviest weight. Sometimes, I will pause and do the last set with my heavies and then do the ab work last.

Day 2, she alternates squats with back work and some butt work(3 different exercises at 15 reps per exercise. She repeats it 3 times.

This workout has no rests! Marthe counts.

Now or Never...
Its the only Joyce workout that uses a barbell. Marthe uses db. I like this workout because it works the muscle group all together in supersets or sets using pyramid system. I use 12,15 and 20lb db. For shoulders I use lighter weights 5-10lb depending how my shoulders are feeling. They are my weaker muscle group.
First is chest and then you do 3 sets using pyramid. Then she does supersets overhead pull overs and chest fly. She ends with incline press.
So its working the muscle back to back.

The lower body is a lot easier then the upper. She does back first and then she does a set of squats and then giant set 2 type of squats with calf raises. There isn't much butt work and the ab work uses a db between the feet but its optional. She does 3 exercises for abs and repeats it 3 times.
Sometimes I will tack on Weight Training made Easier floorwork for more ab and butt work. I just love this workout. There is no dread and I use heavy weights(20,25 and 30 lb db). I also like using my barbell that tends to collect dust.

These are 2 of my main used Joyce workouts.

I think her slowest and more rests is her Bone Building. If you want something slow.
Old 07-10-14, 01:38 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Well, embarrassingly, I can't say for sure, but both seem to be about the same slower pace as her newer workouts with Marthe counting. Top Shape didn't seem much slower than the rest, although she is using a barbell instead of dumbbells for some exercises. Although I do own these DVDs, I never really used them and am just pulling them out. I have only done routines from her books thus far. A couple of other posters recommended them from actual experience upthread!
Quote:
I know how you feel. I pulled out all the DVDs I have and was trying to figure out when they were ordered.

I really want to see what she does with a barbell. In her pictures her legs are amazing and I have to wonder what her personal workout was at that time. I really wish she had used heavy weights in those early workouts but the counting could have been way off if Marthe was using the light ones. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the speed and if/why it's important.

Mandy, thanks so much for your comments above, just saw it and this may have been covered before but if you wanted to lose a few pounds of body fat quickly and build nice leg muscle what would you recommend working with? She told me to start with Just Joyce but I haven't seen that one yet so am working with BUG+ and previewing some of the others.

Joan, thanks for starting the checkin.

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 02:32 PM  
Mandy

Mandy, thanks so much for your comments above, just saw it and this may have been covered before but if you wanted to lose a few pounds of body fat quickly and build nice leg muscle what would you recommend working with? She told me to start with Just Joyce but I haven't seen that one yet so am working with BUG+ and previewing some of the others.

I think her Just Joyce is tough. The Bra Roll and Arms workouts use the FULL pyramid so you go up and then down the pyramid. I have to be honest that I don't reach for these as much. I have to go a lot lighter. Her Just Arms giant set work biceps/shoulders/triceps. I have to have lighter weights very close by because I use heavier weights for triceps and biceps than shoulders. Another option I did was use the shoulders as a rest. So Just Arms was bi's and tri's. Then I would do FF day 2 which is my favorite shoulders workout because she giant sets with butt and calves. So my shoulders can get a rest and I can actually lift heavier because of the rest.
The Just Thighs uses the full pyramid but she gives you the chance to stop after each giant set. The thighs have NO lunges. She does different variations of squats and many Barre type unweighted leg lifts.
Bra Roll/Boobs(chest and Back) uses full pyramid and super giant setting chest and back. She goes a bit fast on this one for me to use my heavy weights for back so I like to do this one on my own.
Just Butt is similar to Fat Burning butt in that its just lots of reps with no weights. I think I remember it being 8 exercises. Marthe counts on all these workouts.
I think Bottoms Up Gold + is excellent to start off with and just keep consistant and raise your weights when they don't challenge you anymore. I remember when I first started, I had fat on top of muscle too from post pregnancy. I started to see results around the 6-8 week mark. It was discouraging not seeing fast results. But note, I was breasfeeding at the time and I saw more fat loss after I stopped breastfeeding. I breastfeed my babies for a year. Joyce said the the upper body is the first to see change and the lower body next and ab's last.
I was just coming off a Cathe Pure Strength rotation where I was working muscles 1 -2 times per week. Then I changed and did Joyce 3 times a week. It was a big change for my body by adding the pyramid system and working the muscle 3 times a week.
I tried to go back to doing high rep type workouts like Cathe's PowerHour but got injured in my periformis muscle so now I don't do high reps. I stick to the pyramid system.
Old 07-10-14, 03:05 PM  
winnie_p
VF Supporter

If anyone is curious about the shipping charge for the 6 DVD package she has for $39.98, it's $9.

I dis-enabled myself from ordering 6 DVDs and just ordered Bottoms Up Gold Plus. I will try actually using the two I own along with BUG+ and the books I have.
winnie_p is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dynamic tension, fast forward, joyce vedral, top shape, weight loss, weights only