Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-14-20, 04:41 PM  
Terry

I only do VHS/DVD, and I have barre on DVD but don't do them . . . but I watched part of the video, so here is my < 2 cents:

1) I don't complain about voice, but some do. Your voice is good, so you don't have to worry about that.

2) I did a Jillian Michaels this morning, and it kind of bothers me how stilted she sounds in front of the camera. You sound completely comfortable and I would enjoy doing a different kind of workout with you if you came out with DVDs.

3) I like the sound better on the first link.

4) Your face needs more lighting in both.

5) This one is probably just me: If possible, I would like the background better as just the windows without the door. If not possible, I think I see a shade at the top of the door. I would like it better pulled down.

Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-20, 05:38 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Hi, here are my 2 cents:

You're a natural in front of the camera, very assured and confident. You've got real presence and that's the most important thing!

Lighting: the light is behind you, coming in from the windows, and that fights whatever other lighting you have in the room. Have you got a ring light? My husband is live streaming his yoga classes and making videos. He prefers to shoot in a spot that's in front of a window but he's had to completely block the light from that window, then he has powerful lights to compensate so that he's not in shadows.

Audio: I'm not a sound expert (I'm not any kind of expert, lol) and I don't know what equipment you're using. but if the sound is too echo-y maybe you might need to deaden it a bit by maybe hanging blankets, putting rugs down somewhere, etc. Also I thought the volume was low but that might just be my Kindle. In the 2nd clip the music was competing with your voice, so that didn't work for me.

Your setting was very professional looking and you were framed really well!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-20, 05:39 PM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
I only do VHS/DVD, and I have barre on DVD but don't do them . . . but I watched part of the video, so here is my < 2 cents:

1) I don't complain about voice, but some do. Your voice is good, so you don't have to worry about that.

2) I did a Jillian Michaels this morning, and it kind of bothers me how stilted she sounds in front of the camera. You sound completely comfortable and I would enjoy doing a different kind of workout with you if you came out with DVDs.

3) I like the sound better on the first link.

4) Your face needs more lighting in both.

5) This one is probably just me: If possible, I would like the background better as just the windows without the door. If not possible, I think I see a shade at the top of the door. I would like it better pulled down.

Thank you, Terry! I’ll see if I can take the door out of the frame and bring in more lighting. To the left of the frame is a bathroom so I was trying to avoid catching that door.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-20, 05:44 PM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Hi, here are my 2 cents:

You're a natural in front of the camera, very assured and confident. You've got real presence and that's the most important thing!

Lighting: the light is behind you, coming in from the windows, and that fights whatever other lighting you have in the room. Have you got a ring light? My husband is live streaming his yoga classes and making videos. He prefers to shoot in a spot that's in front of a window but he's had to completely block the light from that window, then he has powerful lights to compensate so that he's not in shadows.

Audio: I'm not a sound expert (I'm not any kind of expert, lol) and I don't know what equipment you're using. but if the sound is too echo-y maybe you might need to deaden it a bit by maybe hanging blankets, putting rugs down somewhere, etc. Also I thought the volume was low but that might just be my Kindle. In the 2nd clip the music was competing with your voice, so that didn't work for me.

Your setting was very professional looking and you were framed really well!
Thank you! My biggest struggles have been lighting and sound. I have a ring light at home and some other LEDs that I use in my home studio. When I tried them at the studio facing the window I don’t think they can compete with the natural light. I may try filming one from another angle. It catches the camera in the mirror but it may be better as far as lighting goes.

I guess everyone wants to see the grimace of pain on my face during barre.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 04-14-20, 07:31 PM  
anetta

You have a great voice and presence.

Thank you for putting yourself out there-I couldn't do it

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-20, 08:41 PM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by anetta View Post
You have a great voice and presence.

Thank you for putting yourself out there-I couldn't do it

Anita
Anita, thank you! I’m really a private person so this is highly unusual. I just love 💕 what I do and want to share it.

Old 04-14-20, 09:05 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I really enjoyed watching your 2 videos! Very nicely done and I agree with Lucky Star that you have a great presence and and you're a natural in front of the camera. I also agree that audio and lighting can be improved. I thought that both are better in first clip? I admire you for doing what you love and for putting yourself out there. I couldn't do it. I think I will try both of your workouts tomorrow. Good luck to you!
Old 04-14-20, 10:07 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Do you have a headset mic that you could run through a speaker? I'm teaching my Essentrics classes on Zoom and that has helped a lot with sound issues and echo. I would definitely add some lighting, too.

You do a good job! Introduce yourself at the beginning, and smile throughout the workout. Nobody wants a crabby fitness instructor and you have a beautiful smile.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-20, 12:14 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555 View Post
Anita, thank you! I’m really a private person so this is highly unusual. I just love 💕 what I do and want to share it.
Yes you have a calling to teach and share, and you need to follow it. So does my husband, and so does Jackie B and all the awesome instructors here. You are talented and determined. That's at least 95% of it. The other things are just nitpicky details that will get ironed out. Good luck to you!!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-20, 12:08 PM  
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Yes you have a calling to teach and share . . . That's at least 95% of it.
This is spot on.

The trainer for a live class I was in failed to show up one day (flu). There were 17 women ready to go, so we made a large circle and took turns leading the class through whatever move we chose. One woman was an OK leader and just a bit rough due to lack of experience. The rest of us sucked big time.

That some people are great at leading others in workouts is a good thing for those of us who have no such talent.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote