Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 05-07-02, 01:32 PM  
*pet*art*girl*
VF Supporter

lots of good info!

This is very informative, all the replies.
Thanks!
Was wondering - anyone know how Kathy smith has chaptered her DVD's? Esp. Pilates, Kickboxing?
Kathy

“Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion; you must first set yourself on fire.”
- Reggie Leach

“A big shot is a little shot that kept shooting” - Unknown
"I caught myself cheating! Shame on me!" - Cathe
*pet*art*girl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-02, 02:28 PM  
lsberg
VF Supporter

Yoga Zone chaptering is great

I agree with the votes so far for Cathe and Karen Voight for great chaptering. Another company that is doing a really good job is Yoga Zone. All their DVDs from the TV show are beautifully chaptered - each of the two workouts is neatly divided into 4 segments of approximately 5 minutes each. Interestingly, this solves the problem with YZ Total Body Conditioning, where in the second workout they do a long lunge sequence on only one leg - on the DVD you can just hit back and start that five minute sequence over to do the other leg. No long rewinding. Of course, you have to like Yoga Zone TV shows!

I also agree with those who said Gaiam/Living Arts did well with Yoga for Weight Loss. They did not do such a good job with the Balance Ball tape - it is ok, but not super. Not like those non-chaptered early Living Arts DVDs! The Gaiam Pilates for Weight Loss DVD is just as good as Yoga for Weight Loss, with the same little icon so you can cut away to a more detailed explanation of any exercise and the same option of different views based on fitness level - fully modified, partially modified, or full exercise.

A DVDiot,
Lindsay
lsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-02, 09:54 AM  
peggy h
VF Supporter

Re the LA Balance Ball DVD

Hi Lindsay,

Can you tell us a bit more about the Balance ball DVD? I've been trying to find out more about it but haven't seen much about it so far. How is the chaptering, exactly?

Thanks!!!
Old 05-08-02, 01:37 PM  
Janet K.

Balance Ball DVD

I really would like this one too, but would love to hear more details about the chaptering. Also, does anyone know where this is available besides Gaiam. I think I may have seen it at Bestprices, but noticed even Amazon doesn't seem to be carrying it and haven't seen it anywhere retail.

Janet
Janet K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-02, 02:02 PM  
PamelaP

I preordered it from BestPrices.com back in late February, but they still haven't been able to get it in. I'm relieved to hear it actually exists!
PamelaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-02, 03:37 PM  
Christine S.
VF Supporter

One more good one....

...is the Quick Fix DVD with Minna Lessig, Nancy Popp and Julie Upton. It has three 30-minute workouts (one for abs, one for arms/legs, and one for buns) that are further broken down into 10 minute chapters--each of which is a mini-workout itself. So, you can do one, two or three of the 10-minute workouts in any combination.
The drawback is, of course, that you can only program 3 at a time, making a 30 minute workout. However, I find it's great if you want to squeeze in a quick, customized resistance workout.
Old 05-08-02, 03:55 PM  
*pet*art*girl*
VF Supporter

quick fix...

hmmm. Been thinking of adding this one to my list of DVD's I want. I really like Minna, and I think her sections look good judging by the Collage clip. I also have the abs tape, which I really do like. My one reservation is it doesn't seem very intense at all. Please tell me I am wrong. Can you add weights to the leg work? Would the legs move too fast to use weights? What intesity would you rate the arms and legs work?
Too many questions? :rolleyes:
Kathy

“Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion; you must first set yourself on fire.”
- Reggie Leach

“A big shot is a little shot that kept shooting” - Unknown
"I caught myself cheating! Shame on me!" - Cathe
*pet*art*girl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-02, 06:10 PM  
lsberg
VF Supporter

Gaiam Balance Ball DVD

Since there was clearly some interest, I went back and did a thorough study of the chaptering in the Balance Ball DVD. I got it direct from Gaiam - couldn't find it anywhere else.

It begins with the usual warnings, which are technically Title 9 and can't be skipped. Approx. 40 seconds. Then 9.2 is a Gaiam promo, also can't be skipped, also approximately 40 seconds. Annoying, if you ask me.

The Main Menu then lets you go to either "Choose Workout" or "Special Features". "Choose Workout" lists Upper Body, Abs, Lower Body. When you select one it takes you to a sub-menu that lists "Introduction", "Warm-up", "Workout". So at least you can go straight to the workout you want. But you can't just hit "Next" to get to the next workout - you have to go back to the menu. Not so good if your goal is to combine UB with Abs, for example.

If you have a programmable DVD player, you can combine workouts. Title 1 is Lower Body: 1.1 is Intro, 1.2 is Warm up, 1.3 is Workout, and 1.4 is the credits. Title 2 is Abs and Title 3 is Upper body, with the same config as Lower Body in terms of individual chapters. So you can select 1.3, 2.3 and 3.3 to get all three workouts only. Programming also allows you to skip the annoying intro.

The Special Features are not very special. 4.1 shows you how to inflate your ball. 5.1 is an interview with Suzanne Deason. 6.1 - 6.3 has the text from the back of each video describing the contents. 7.1 is "About Suzanne" and 8.1 is a Gaiam catalog.

Hope this helps!
Lindsay
lsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-02, 07:09 PM  
PamelaP

Thanks, Lindsay, for the great info! I hope BestPrices will manage to get this one in stock soon. If not, I guess I'll just have to cancel my order there and get it for full price from Gaiam. (BestPrice's price is nearly $10 cheaper, that's why I've held out thus far.)

I have to admit, I never LOVED these workouts (I do like them), but the setting is so unbelievably gorgeous that I want 'em on DVD anyway.
PamelaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-02, 11:40 PM  
peggy h
VF Supporter

Another thanks, Lindsay!

Like Pamela, I'd begun to wonder whether this DVD actually came out even if Gaiam had it in their website, because I've never seen it anywhere else except BestPrices.com (where it perenially has 0 in stock!)

As you mentioned in your earlier post, it sounds like the chaptering is okay, not the best but not the worst either. I'll try to keep a sharper eye out for this in discount websites....or cave and buy it from Gaiam!

Thanks again!