Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 12-08-19, 01:28 PM  
JustSandra

Barefoot & On the Mat 12/8-14: Cold Moon Edition!

Hi everyone!

Welcome to the weekly Barefoot & On the Mat check-in thread. We are a cozy, friendly group who enjoy a wide variety of workouts but who have a special appreciation for those traditionally done without footwear. If you regularly include yoga, pilates, barre, qi gong, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Ellen Barrett, Tracy Anderson, etc. into your fitness life -- or even if you just like to shuck your shoes for more traditional exercise -- you will feel right at home!

Please feel free to join in. We always love hearing from new, returning, and guest Mat Mavens!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 01:39 PM  
JustSandra

Hello again!

After a challenging November, I at least have something to post for last week:

Sunday: Leslie Sansone Walk Off Fat Fast, 20-minute walk; Powerfit Harmony, Core Body Balance (disc 3); Classical Stretch episode 1230.
Monday: No workout (planned).
Tuesday: Classical Stretch episode 1229; Jessica Smith Walk Strong 1, Upper Body Strength.
Wednesday: Essentrics Body Sculpting Series, Ultimate Leg Sculptor.
Thursday: Two-mile outdoor walk; Jessica Smith Walk Strong 1, Barefoot Fusion Sculpt.
Friday: Karen Voigt Great Weighted Workout, lower body floor section.
Saturday: No workout, unplanned.

Saturdays are still a problem day for me as far as motivation. I don't get home from work until about 2:15, and I don't have a meal break so I am usually hungry and therefore eat a late lunch. That means I can't realistically exercise until maybe 5pm -- and on a Saturday evening that just doesn't happen! However, my new plan is to try walking to/from work on Saturdays, weather permitting. That will equal 4 miles of outdoor walking. I have been thinking about how I want to do more outdoor walking generally in 2020, so this could be a start towards that goal.

Linda: Sorry about the rocky end to your birthday! Hope you are feeling better now.

Waving to all -- be back later with today's workout!

Old 12-08-19, 05:01 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thanks everyone for your supportive comments regarding my exchange with the yoga studio owner last week. I didn't hear anything else from her...I don't know if she calmed herself down or is seething, but I'm trying not to think about it.

Sandra, thanks for starting us off! It seems fair for Saturday to be a walking day rather than a formal workout day.

Here was my week:

Monday
recumbent bike, 18 minutes
Do You Yoga (YT) - 30 Days of Yoga Challenge, Day 1, Get Started, and Day 2, Stretch the Hamstrings

Tuesday
recumbent bike, 28 minutes
Do You Yoga (YT) - 30 Days of Yoga Challenge, Day 3, Lower Body, and Day 4, Posture

Wednesday
Yoga in the Garden of Serenity - Neck & Shoulders
Yoga Ranger (YT) - Full Body Yin Yoga for Tired Days

Thursday
TAUGHT yoga at work, yoga at studio
Do You Yoga (YT) - 30 Days of Yoga Challenge, Day 5, Flexibility of the Spine

Friday
Total Core Pilates (all)
Do You Yoga (YT) - 30 Days of Yoga Challenge, Day 7, Ease Low Back Pain

Saturday
Do You Yoga (YT) - 30 Days of Yoga Challenge, Day 6, Sun Salutations
Bendy Body (all)

Sunday
Flow yoga class with Dalton

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 08:28 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Sandra - thanks for getting us started. You had a good week. I still have some pain but it's minor compared to what it was. My friend feels bad and he shouldn't. I willingly ate the food knowing what would happen. I'm usually very good with food I can eat but sometimes something is so good it's worth the consequences.

Beth - you aren't responsible for your boss's reaction. You know that. LOL

I used the Cubii Jr elliptical for an hour. I was going to work upper body but the day sped by. I want to try yoga soon. I should be able to do it without the excruciating pain I used to have.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 08:32 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Linda, yep, even psychologists need reminder sometimes. Hope you are feeling better!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 12-08-19, 08:35 PM  
cyana

Saturday:
MFML - Flow and Restore - Lucy McCarthy
MFML - QiGong and Restorative Yoga: Finding Harmony - Mimi Kuo-Deemer
MFML - QiGong and Restorative Yoga: Finding Balance - Mimi Kuo-Deemer

Today:
Cathe - PHA 2 - I did the first two rounds/cycles (whatever she called them) and decided I'd stop there for the day. I suspect I'm going to be one sore puppy tomorrow and didn't want to push it into the Bad Sore category. I think I'm going to rub down with some arnica cream before bedtime to see if it helps. Hopefully it will be at least be nice and relaxing.
MFML - Yoga for Self-Care - Clive Fogelman. This was a really lovely self-care, restorative practice that was about an hour and a half, so it was like a mini-workshop. And I Clive, so I didn't mind.

I've really struggled with insomnia of late, after doing better for a while, so I'm not sure what's up with that. It definitely makes it hard to drag out of bed and knock out a work-out first thing, that's for sure.

Beth - That really stinks about the studio owner conducting her unpleasant business via text. If she had a problem, she should pick up the phone and have an adult conversation. To answer your question from last week, the MFML challenge is for subscribers. That's one of the perks and there are multiple challenges throughout the year.

Sandra - I'm with Ella - I'd vote for the purple weights, too, as purple is one of my favorite colors. I'm trying to get more walking into my life, but I'm such a cold weather wimp, getting me out in the cold could be a challenge.

Linda - I'm so sorry to hear about the pancreatitis flare - hope you're feeling better today. I remember when you hurt your shoulder on the Total Gym - kind of scared me about using the one I got from my mom's house.

Carolyn - I hope you got to enjoy one of those fabulous Sedona sunsets this week-end - what an incredible thing to behold.

Anny - How is the smoke in your area and is it making it hard for you to get out and walk?

Gayle - Woo hoo to your Chiefs, today!! I have a former co-worker who will be absolutely over the moon about that game.

Garrie - Hope your training is going smoothly. Do you get much of a break over the holidays?

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 08:52 PM  
JustSandra

Hello!

Today's Workout: I did the Upper Body routine from Jessica Smith's Walk Strong 3 set, followed by Classical Stretch episode 1228.

Linda: Glad you are doing better!

Beth: I was sorry to hear about the upset with the studio owner. Our Linda is absolutely right, but it is still not fun to be on the receiving end of such comments.

Cyana: Are you ordering Cathe's new set? My local VF friend (the one I have coffee with each Sunday) is a big Cathe fan and is excited these will be coming soon (after pre-ordering in May). We did joke that we should hijack the truck that is taking the replicated DVDs from California to the East Coast!

Waving to all!

Old 12-08-19, 09:46 PM  
gjv

Sorry to be MIA. Hubby had cataract surgery so that's kind of been occupying my time. They said it was because of the high doses of steroids he took for so long. He's really too young for cataracts. One eye down, one to go!

I have been working out every day tho. That's the only way I stay sane, to be honest.

Cyana! Thanks for the props to the Chiefs! What a great finish. I am sure there is going to be a lot of backlash because the officiating was awful. But hey, I'll take a win against the Patriots however I can!

Beth, we have a new recumbent bike but I've never used it. Maybe I should. We bought it for my husband but he's not been able to use it yet.

Sandra, what's Jessica's Barefoot Fusion Sculpt like? I have it but I've never done it.

A big hello to everyone else, I hope to get back to posting regularly again!
Old 12-08-19, 10:02 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Gayle, I bought the recumbent years ago when I moved to Rochester and no longer had access to my graduate school gym. I used it back when I only owned 2-3 VHS, haha. Hope your hubby has a speedy recovery!

Sandra, seems like your workouts are going strong now! I really need to get back to CS...it's been awhile since I've done any CS routine. You are right it's no fun when someone lashes out at you, even if you know it's more about them. I try to get along with everyone, so it particularly frustrates me when someone is not making that same effort in return.

cyana, sorry to hear about your continued insomnia. Do you think it's worse as you have gotten older? QiGong and Restorative sounds like a nice combo!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 12-09-19, 07:14 AM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Angry

Thanks Sandra. Outdoor walking is good. You get fresh air and Vitamin D when the sun shines. The sun is hiding from us. Rain today and maybe snow tomorrow night. 1-3" they say.

cyana - I'm sorry you have insomnia again. I'm also sorry I scared you away from the Total Gym. The man says it's safer for me than dumbbells. I've been injured with both so pick your poison, ya know? I suppose I should've had my shoulder checked too but it seems to be ok. After seeing grown men struggle with little pink weights at PT after shoulder surgery, rehabbing a shoulder is the last thing I want to do. Wish I'd never heard of pancreatitis.

Gayle - nice to meet you. Good luck to your husband. I have cataracts that aren't ready for surgery. Mine are from old age. I had several recumbent bikes over the years. I read more books on the bikes than I ever read sitting still. I almost bought myself one for Christmas but I bought something else that might be delivered today.

Beth - I suppose we all need to be reminded of something once in awhile.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote