Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-06, 01:50 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna
Michele, in the step diet book (which I love) he explains that the pedometer tracks changes in your centre of gravity. So kicks etc. would probably be counted.
i've always wondered how pedometers actually "work" so that's interesting to know (though i still don't know how they work).
sheepla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-06, 03:37 PM  
mf545

Thanks Joanna. I may have to take a look at that book now--LOL!

Michele
mf545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-06, 03:58 PM  
KerryF

I myself found the book to be extremely repetitive, awfully self-congratulatory ("our diet works better than x!" kind of stuff), and a bit preachy. Although the premise is great, I'm just not interested in their math and megasteps and lifesteps and such. Eh--it's just not for me, and I'll pass it on sometime soon. Joanna's list of tips is much more engaging.

Joanna--where are you wearing your pedometer? I have the same one you do and I cannot get it to register accurately. I'll walk 100 steps and it'll count 10--making noise the whole time. I did try the "wear it on your bra" thing, and while it actually did register more accurately, there is no way I'm leaving the house like that. I can stand a clicking coming from my pants-pocket area, but NOT from my chest. It's too bad--the one that comes with the book is the smallest pedometer I've ever seen. I really wanted it to work--it's why I bought the book.

I've had one other pedometer--a $12 one I got at Target about a year ago. It wasn't very accurate either and so I didn't use it much. It stopped working so I dumped it.
KerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-06, 04:57 PM  
KickDancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryF
I did try the "wear it on your bra" thing, and while it actually did register more accurately, there is no way I'm leaving the house like that. I can stand a clicking coming from my pants-pocket area, but NOT from my chest.
You mean you don't want a ticker by your ticker? (Sorry, couldn't resist-- I should probably get up and take a walk for my break instead of posting silly thoughts!)

I'm still waiting for my pedometer from the Special K offer from a very very long time ago. They sent me a postcard apologizing for being out of stock and reassuring me that they'd send me my pedometer as soon as the restocked, but I think they've conveniently "forgotten" about it now.

I don't know if kicks add to the pedometer count, but jumps sometimes count as two "steps". (My fiance briefly had to wear a pedometer for a health study a while back. Plyo X definitely racked up the count for him!)
Old 01-19-06, 05:21 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

great thread!

just doing a Costco run can mean 2000-3000 steps. or Walmart.

i get off of my bus one stop ahead, and sometimes more than one stop ahead.

i agree with the household chores tip - it can really, really add up, just putting away laundry into people's rooms, putting toys away, etc.

i have an Omron and it is very, very good. it doesn't make any noise, is thin, and the sensitivity can be increased or decreased. i paid $11 for it from Walmart.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-06, 05:26 PM  
Gardengirl

So far, I've found my Omron to be really accurate. I've counted and then checked and it's right on. I think it works fine with Leslie and that it counts your movements whether it's a kick or a step the same. But I haven't counted during a workout to make sure it's accurate. Perhaps I should.

The Omron comes with a clip that you can take off and the pedometer can be simply put in your pocket, which is where mine is most of the time. When I do wear the clip, the instructions say to keep it hip level so I attached it to the top of my pants to the right of center. I have the HJ112 and it riduculously expensive at CVS and a couple of other places - almost $40! But I got it at Amazon for $18.00 and Walmart has them on line for about the same.

I'm kind of interested in the book too. They have them at Target with the pedometer but I hate to spend the extra money for another pedometer I don't want!
Gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-06, 05:30 PM  
doskymom

Michele,

I have the Omron HJ-112 and I like it very much. I bought one for my mom and she is happy with hers, also, (and for 73-year old retired woman, she REALLY racks up the steps). I don't think it counts all the movements in a Leslie Sansone workout, though. It usually counts about 1,500 steps for a one mile Leslie workout, so there must be one or two kinds of movements in her workouts that don't register well on the pedometer.
doskymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-06, 05:31 PM  
ElitaOne

Another tip to add...

Drink extra water or other good-for-you fluids. The extra trips to the bathroom will help rack up your step counts.

I got a pedometer for Christmas and only used it once. Seeing posts like these encourage me to use it more!

Raquel

"Failure is not an option." - NASA
ElitaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-06, 05:32 PM  
mimikz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar
great thread!

just doing a Costco run can mean 2000-3000 steps. or Walmart.
I agree with bzar, shopping really adds up steps w/o really thinking about it. I do remember an episode of Sex in the City with Carrie saying she couldn't give up shopping because that was her cardio. It's true!

My Omron is in the mail, unfortunately paid $21 at Amazon, oh well. I found the Step Diet on ebay for $4+ brand new that came with an AccuSplit. The Omron will be my...4th? They're great, but those I've had fall off, stop working mid-day, etc. I was impressed with the great reviews for the Omron.

Mimi
mimikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-06, 05:37 PM  
Gardengirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by doskymom
I don't think it counts all the movements in a Leslie Sansone workout, though. It usually counts about 1,500 steps for a one mile Leslie workout, so there must be one or two kinds of movements in her workouts that don't register well on the pedometer.
Dosky, you're exactly right! I did notice there was a big difference in my total steps during different workouts. I think this is probably because during the side to side motions where you aren't actually stepping or moving your lower body, nothing registers. As well as nothing registering if you are doing an upper body section with curls. So I think in any workout, it will only count the direct movement of your feet that simulate a step. (Does that make any sense? I know what I'm trying to say . . . just not doing it well!)
Gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
neat, neat activity