Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-17, 01:43 PM  
momofcha

Ways to Increase your NEAT activity

Does anyone have any tips on how to move more??? I'm thinking back to when I was thinner (yes I was younger, yes I didn't have thyroid issues) but I'm wondering if my lack of moving during the day is contributing to my issue of not being able to lose weight despite working out every day.

I used to work in the city and commute and walk about 2+ miles/day - every day. FF to now, I work at home, my commute consists of shuffling to the kitchen. Some days I move ok and get 10K steps, other days I'm at 4K. I recently got a treadmill and I'm trying to aim for 2 miles/day (ok, so I started this goal yesterday, but it's a start, right? )

So I'm asking for tips for those of you who consistently reach your 10K/day/NEAT goals. How do you do it?

And, am I better off skipping a workout, in lieu of reaching my 10K step goal?

thank you!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 03:40 PM  
Sara1000

Do you have a yard? If so, be sure to take advantage of any decent weather to do any maintenance projects, plus maybe put in a vegetable or flower garden this spring. Surprisingly fun and rewarding! I try to spend anhour a day raking, hauling sticks, pulling weeds etc.

Do you have Cardio Coach? Back when I had a treadmill I used this all the time and loved it.

I also make my housework as inefficient as possible by making multiple trips putting things away, getting things out, etc.

HTH
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 04:58 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

vacuuming.
shopping at a big box store like Costco.

tip: click on the tags in the below to find more threads about NEAT.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 05:10 PM  
sharkee

Get a puppy, LOL

I have a job where I am at my desk for 10-11 hrs a day. I do have a treadmill that I will walk when the weather is bad but I got a choc lab, that was 2 in Dec and I have walked her everyday since we got her at 7 weeks old, and fortunately she gets to go to work with me everyday so I take her for a walk on my morning break and after lunch everyday, no matter what the weather is, then we play ball every night, weather permitting.

It has also helped my co-worker who will take her on her morning break to help get up and get fresh air.

I know that this is not the solution for everyone but it sure helped me.
Old 02-23-17, 05:18 PM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkee View Post
Get a puppy, LOL

I have a job where I am at my desk for 10-11 hrs a day. I do have a treadmill that I will walk when the weather is bad but I got a choc lab, that was 2 in Dec and I have walked her everyday since we got her at 7 weeks old, and fortunately she gets to go to work with me everyday so I take her for a walk on my morning break and after lunch everyday, no matter what the weather is, then we play ball every night, weather permitting.

It has also helped my co-worker who will take her on her morning break to help get up and get fresh air.

I know that this is not the solution for everyone but it sure helped me.
Ha! Yep, I concur. I got a puppy this past summer and she keeps me moving. I lost about 4 lbs this past summer without trying. In addition to my workouts I walk about 2-3 miles per day, depending on weather, of course. The other day, it was a beautiful day, I took the day off of work and in addition to my workout, I took 2 dog walks, resulting in about 5 miles. It sure trims the tummy.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 05:20 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
Ha! Yep, I concur. I got a puppy this past summer and she keeps me moving. I lost about 4 lbs this past summer without trying. In addition to my workouts I walk about 2-3 miles per day, depending on weather, of course. The other day, it was a beautiful day, I took the day off of work and in addition to my workout, I took 2 dog walks, resulting in about 5 miles. It sure trims the tummy.
I WOULD LOVE A PUPPY!!! We can't get one just yet, but hopefully soon!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 05:30 PM  
donnamp

I just popped in to say "Hi" to Sharon! Allie is so adorable! I wish I could bring my dogs to work!!!

Back to the thread - I also work at a desk all day - I just try to take a walk every day - even if it is "just" 20 minutes.
I also agree with being "inefficient" - for instance, when I put folded clothing away - I keep the laundry basket in the living room and then take handfuls of clothing to each room to put away. I just generally try to be as active as I can w/out driving myself crazy. Take the stairs when you can - park farther away - if you are on the phone for work pace around the house, etc.

Good luck!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 05:47 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
shopping at a big box store like Costco.
This! My every trip to Costco or Sam's/Walmart is worth at least 4-5K steps every time. You can't do this everyday, but every once in a while it really works for me.
Old 02-23-17, 06:03 PM  
Titus2woman

I don't know about NEAT activity, but here are a couple of ways I'm getting in more movement: 1.) I dance while I wash the dishes, and we always have LOTS of them to do. 2.) I do "The Wobble" several times a day (it's four minutes long) for a pick-me-up, my goal is five. It's so fun!

More people fail from a lack of encouragement than anything else!
Titus2woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 06:04 PM  
adrien_73

I definitely agree with shopping at big box stores! I bought my parents fitbits for Christmas and they are always surprised at how many steps they take at BJ's and Walmart!

This is not truly "active", but I either stand or sit on a stability ball at work. I notice that when I bounce gently on the ball, my fitbit logs it as steps! Some say its cheating, but I am moving and engaging more muscles than I would if I were to sit stationary.

My father also says that he makes an effort to park further away from his destinations, so he has to walk a bit more. This may seem insignificant, but all of these little efforts add up!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
neat, neat activity