Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-13, 06:08 PM  
zippity

Sometimes I walk to the kitchen and back for a cookie; does that count? Seriously though, just getting up from the computer to do yardwork, fold laundry, cook dinner, walk 3 miles at soccer practice, go up and down the stairs, etc., does add up. My grandmother stayed slim and fit into her 90's using the "fidget" method; she never worked out, but couldn't sit still in a chair for more than five minutes; she was always on her feet doing something, causing trouble, etc...
Old 04-19-13, 09:38 PM  
SuzieC

I have tried to increase my N.E.A.T. mainly because of the fitbit. I found the fitbit a huge help to measure where I'm at with activity during the day. I sometimes go for a leisurely walk because I know my fitbit will give me more calories to eat :-) (I have my fitbit synced with myfitnesspal).

Here is some information on N.E.A.T.
http://www.gruvetechnologies.com/neat.html
SuzieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-13, 03:18 AM  
msladybug

I increased my NEAT greatly when I got my fitbit. I thought that was pretty cool, until the extra walking gave me plantar fasciitis. I am unable to rid myself of it now. I've had to severly restrict my life in attempt to let it heal. I see a podiatrist and get PT....but it just won't go away. Now I weight more, and my NEAT is much less than before.
msladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-13, 05:05 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I'm not sure I can correlate benefits directly to NEAT, but here's my impression: I have a sedentary job too. But I'm often walking the halls to different offices & I refuse to have a printer in my office, using a copier down the hall. I once used a pedometer and I get from 5-10,000 steps during the day (excluding my workout). I try to get outside every day for at least 15 minutes. I try to eat well, but in reality I don't have a much healthier diet than my co-workers.

The differences I see -- I do not get sick like everyone else. I haven't had the flu in years. And my disposition is brighter and more optimistic than others. I attribute that to being physically more active.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-13, 08:01 AM  
SueZQ

My NEAT was reduced because I no longer do all those little things I used to do when I had to leave the house to go to work, and I've gained a few pounds over the past couple of years.

I'm trying to compensate by making little stations around the house where I can stand and use my laptop at the same time. I also bought something called a surf shelf. You attach it to a treadmill so you can walk and work at the same time. It's a cheap version of a treadmill desk. Still not entirely comfortable with it but we'll see.
SueZQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
neat, neat activity, non-exercise activity, sitting