Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-11, 09:36 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Have you thought about getting a pedometer? That can help inspire you to move a bit more; as we say in our checkin, "every step counts!" I work out daily, but I only wear my pedometer when I am NOT exercising, as I got it so that I would move more during non-exercise times, when I am otherwise pretty sedentary also.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-11, 09:56 AM  
RASCalif

Also, I get up at 5 am and work out before heading into the office. You would be surprised how easy it is to do once you get used to it. Just be sure you're in bed by 10 pm.
Old 05-27-11, 11:34 AM  
slysam

I am not sure what your office culture is like--some can be very positive about healthy choices and some the opposite. I once worked in an office where people brought in sweet junk food and it was okay to get up to eat this stuff, it was okay for smokers to go out to smoke, it was okay to get up for coffee, or to use the restroom but no other reasons really and no one took breaks. Once I was feeling so tense I thought I'd take a quick walk (something I use to do at my previous job) and the dirty looks I received--even from the smokers (who actually take a lot of breaks--like every hour). Oh and there was no water cooler--just coffee and junk food. The only acceptable way to move I could find was drinking a lot hot water (and a little coffee sometimes) since that involved going into the break room and using the rest room as the result of the water. In the restroom I would stretch or jump around a little to get my circulation up. I was fortunate to live close enough to walk to and from work so that helped of course. I did gain weight on this job though (which I lost after leaving it) but I am sure it could have been worse. But perhaps making sure you drink enough water--like 8 glasses would help increase your activity level in more ways than one (as well as keeping you hydrated).

With the studying, I know we are all different but I seem to think better in movement. When you are drilling memory stuff (like with flashcards or something like that) perhaps you could pace around. Or you could sometimes stand while reading. You could also set a timer to get a short stretch break every hour.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-11, 11:55 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I think small bursts of movement can really add up.

WHen you have to use the rest room, try to use one upstairs and take the stairs.
Instead of sending emails to colleagues, get up and walk to their office/desk.

Schedule hourly mini movement breaks (get up to get a glass of water, for example).

Have your boss get you a standing computer desk (like one by Erogotron).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-11, 04:19 PM  
beatchica

Boy there are some really great suggestions here, thought I would add my 2 cents as well.

10 minute trainer was really useful for me when I was in a busy time and it definitely helped me maintain my strength and cardio. I also focused on eating clean too which helped a lot.
beatchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-11, 06:44 PM  
patchworkpenguin

When I used to quilt I would set a kitchen timer for 45min to remind me to get up and take breaks. Walk around, stretch the neck, etc.

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-11, 08:36 AM  
goldillocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by slysam View Post
In the restroom I would stretch or jump around a little to get my circulation up.
Yep, I do that too in the restroom. I like doing about 50 jumping jacks and a minute of football sprint to get my heartrate up
goldillocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-11, 09:14 AM  
2ndgen

My job is sedentary approximately two days a week but when in the field I am active the rest of the time EXCEPT for driving long distances, so I often force self to stop the car and take mini hikes.

When working in my office during long deadline days, I have a practice of saying to self: "GET UP!!!" every few hours. Then I stretch, go check on the pets or pick up things in the house and do fast feet or mini walks around the house or go outside in the street.

This is hard for me to do as I am always time crunched but I've come to know I'll be more productive that way over time.
2ndgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-11, 05:26 PM  
Amazon

My relatives thought they'd become too sedentary, so they bought a treadmill and now the rule is in their house: if you're watching TV, you're watching it while walking on the treadmill. That's all the exercise they do and she lost 20 lbs last year and he lost more.

I also have a sedentary job, so I've been experimenting with standing at my desk. If you can raise your desk, or move your computer to a higher place so you have to stand while working at it, that helps increase your NEAT.

My goal is to finally get a treadmill desk. I am literally on the computer all day, that's my job, and I'd be glad to do it while walking at 1.5 mph.
Amazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-11, 07:21 PM  
videofit

Wear a pedometer. You'll find yourself competing with yourself.

Tags
increasing activity, neat, neat activity