Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-06-10, 02:23 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I'm pretty active. I have four kids who I get out and downhill ski in the winter with, and hike/bike/swim/kayak etc in the summer. We walk often. I also like to take a class here and there. Love a kickbox class in town and recently tried out a kettlebell class.

I've always been fairly active, though. I was a gymnast in hs and tumbled on the cheerteam in college. Before kids I was a fitness instructor and I taught primary school--so was on my feet all day.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 02:45 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I used to have an active job, but not anymore so I don't do much other than exercise. I used to like to get out for a leisurely walk on nice days in addition to my formal exercise, but somehow I lost that habit. I really should start that again.

I do like to exercise twice a day when I have time, so I feel that helps.
Jane P. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 03:02 PM  
Hej

I'm probably more active than the average person, but not terribly. I'm a grad student and mom who doesn't drive, so I pretty much bike and walk everywhere I go-- grocery shopping, taking the kids to and fro, commuting, etc.

That said, I do spend long hours sitting in lectures, at the computer, or reading. So unless I'm doing fieldwork, I spend the bulk of my time puzzling and sitting on my rump.

I do most of my formal workouts in the evenings after the kids are in bed to relax, get my body properly tired out and my mind out of "puzzle" mode so I can sleep.

Healthwise I might be okay with just the activity built into my day. Mindwise, probably not.
Hej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 08:10 PM  
killoffsonny

I sit on my butt in front of a computer and/or television most of the time. On tuesdays and thursdays I work with two yr olds so that gives you a clue right there but those are the only days.
Old 03-07-10, 01:30 AM  
lamancha1

I am 46, and have a desk job, but use any opportunity to get up. I will walk to shred a piece of paper (instead of letting our official shredder person do it). I will walk across the office to speak with someone, rather than calling. We have two offices and I ride my bike to work in the summer, so I will courier papers that need delivering, instead of finding someone with a car to make the jaunt (it is actually faster by bike. I raced a USDA inspector back to the office once and won!). I will often use my lunch hour to take a walk.
I am an avid gardener, spent four hours in the garden today, seven hours yesterday.
Oh, I have also started walking with my husband in the evenings to help him become more fit.
So while I have official exercise time, I also have a lot of unofficial activity that helps me be as active as I can.

Lori
lamancha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 03:15 AM  
Lurdes
VF Supporter

I live in a city and don't have a car. I'd say my level of activity is high enough that I could get away without working out at all. I walk 1.2 miles to work uphill (my commute includes an outdoor 140-step set of stairs!) and 1.2 miles back. In-between, I go out for lunch, for errands, etc, and it's all on foot. I do all this walking while carrying my handbag, and sometimes a laptop, drycleaning, groceries, etc (even a 5-kg bag of cat food on occasion!). My flat is on the 2nd floor (3rd floor in America - we start counting at zero) as is my office, and neither building has an elevator. But I still like to get in my daily hour-long workouts, because even a routine as active as mine doesn't get my heartrate into the high aerobic zone for any period of time, nor does it allow for proper strength training or stretching.

Lurdes

Last edited by Lurdes; 03-07-10 at 03:18 AM. Reason: edited to add stuff about stairs
Lurdes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
neat, neat activity