Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-10, 01:09 PM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

I try to be. On work days, I am because I travel from class to class and go up and down stairs a lot, and I am pretty active with my students. Weekends, I have to make an effort to go out and do something. I find it very easy to sleep in and be lazy
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 01:12 PM  
Janga

I'm pretty active generally, have an active job. I rest when I can.
Janga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 01:13 PM  
Kesal

I have a full-time desk job that only occasionally give me reason to move around, so I'm pretty sedentary during the work week. Aside from my workouts, I walk my dog for at least 15 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening, so that helps. I'm pretty active most weekends, between housecleaning and recreational stuff, plus some longer dog-walking.
Kesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 01:14 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

I'm not very active at all when I'm not working.

I'm a nurse in a critical care unit, doing three 12 hour shifts on the weekends, so I move then. I always take the stairs if I'm not transporting a patient, and don't have much time to sit -- I'm lucky if I get my lunch break! Usually get way over 10,000 steps.

On my days off though, I'm a slug if I don't think about it. The pedometer does motivate me, and having a rebounder in the living room really does help, too. I can get on there and walk or jog for a few minutes whenever I pass it, and in the mornings on days off before and after I read the paper.

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 01:22 PM  
pcramer

Not nearly as much as I should or I would like.....

I work from home and sit for 8 hours. I have production computer job, if I am not typing, I am not making money. Jumping up and doing anything can take my 8 hour a day job to 10 hours or more I do try to get up at least for 5 minutes each hour and move, perferrably going up and down the stairs for bathroom runs, take the dogs out, or visit DH who works upstairs

The majority of my physical activity comes from my morning workouts, 45 minutes before I take one DS to school, then another 50+ minute workout before I take the other DS to school. Other than that, it just cooking meals and I may do some light house cleaning.

That's about it during the week and weekends are about the same right now because of the weather
pcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 01:29 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

bob, thanks for starting this thread.

since 6 months ago or so, i switched my pedometer to tracking miles instead of steps. step measurement wasn't motivating me enough.

so i aim for 5 miles/day 3x/week, including my workouts.

on the days i made the 5 miles w/out doing cardio that day, i noticed i needed to take 3 short walks (10 min/ea) here at work. this is in addition to all of my incidental walking. i've noticed i'm more motivated to go down and up the building stairs at least 1/day (we're on the 10th floor).

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 01:36 PM  
Rhonda

I am in the majority here, not much. I have a sedetary job. I do my 45 minute or so workout in the morning. Evenings I try to do some Leslie or yoga while hubby is working out downstairs and dinner is cooking.

Winter time is hard to stay active, too cold outside so I usually am vegging on the couch reading on weekends. When the weather warms up we are outside more, yard work, in the pool. I don't live close to anything so walking anywhere is out of the question. We are 8-10 miles from the nearest store and that is a highway robbery store (small town). Warmer weather hubby and i get out and walk after dinner.

Rhonda
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 01:44 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

My job is hardly sedentary: housekeeping. Most of my buildings (one lab building...actually the original building for our facility, an old bank building that's now our publications/press release building/printing building and a couple older houses converted to office buildings) have stairs, no elevators. And they're not grouped together. I've logged well over 10k steps running all over my area

When I get home, there's housework to keep me on my feet, cooking and helping DH whatever he's lost And I cannot sit still to save my life!!! I fidget insanely...ask the poor lady who was sitting next to me at choir rehearsal last night!!! She didn't say anything, but I'll bet she was wondering what my malfunction was

And I still work out...if my job has run me too ragged, then I do something gentler. If I still feel pretty energetic, then something more energetic

And when I park my car, I tend to look for any place I an pull through; I don't care how far from the doors it is! In summer, I want shade, in winter, sun...I'll walk for that.

We have a housefull of dogs, but they have a lovely back yard they know they own so not too many walks around the block. But DH does like to take me with him when he's just walking his hunting grounds, so that's a nice hike. And we tend to gravitate towards zoos, museums, gardens...things that are too much fun to walk around and enjoy DH and I are not very good sitters!
Old 03-04-10, 01:47 PM  
jerebo

I, too, am fairly sedentary. Though I teach at a university, I am currently teaching only three classes a semester. Most of the time I sit at my desk preparing for classes or writing, writing, writing (publish or perish, you know). Two of the three classes are in the same building as my office, the other is in another building not far away. On T/Th when I teach in the same building, I almost never leave it!

I do try to park far away (not hard at a university where parking is at a premium) and try to take the stairs (it's about 60 if I come from the first floor to my office, or 100 if I go from the basement, where my classes are). Lately, I try to get up and move around the office more.

I live close enough to bike/walk to school, but I have to take my daughter to school in the mornings. The walk is too long for her, and I'm not comfortable dragging her on the trailer (the roads are too busy to trust her on her own bike). I feel like a slug and would much prefer another less damaging to the environment means of getting around.

At home, it depends. If I do all of the straightening, cleaning, etc. that I SHOULD be doing, I'm fairly active. If I am over tired or stressed, I sit. But I bought Just Dance for the Wii and will probably acquire Walk it Out and DDR before too long and purposely play for 15-20 minutes so as not to be a slug!

On the weekends I find that I sit on my bum most of the day. I don't always get the housework done as I should. But I am trying to engage in more recreational activities--cross country skiing or snowshoeing in the winter, biking and hiking in the spring, summer, and fall.
Old 03-04-10, 02:10 PM  
patchworkpenguin

I am not very active outside of my workouts. On days that I leave the house I average about 5,000 steps + my workouts. On days that I stay home its closer to 2,000 steps. {I was amazed it was that many steps, I live in a 1,000 sq ft home with no stairs.}

Most of my hobbies involve sitting, also. Knitting and quilting are mostly sitting, however there are brief spurts of standing to iron, fold, and arrange in quilting, at least. I don't watch much TV, I don't read much anymore, and I split my house cleaning up over several days, because if I try to do it all in one day, something gets left out in favor of something {anything} more interesting.

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
neat, neat activity