Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-09, 04:28 AM  
roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC View Post
I get an easy 10,000 a day, but I live in New York City -- and most of this city really does live on its feet. Even when I had a desk job, I registered at least 10,000 when I wore a pedometer (of course the building I worked in is 2 blocks long, with marble staircases). We're in Buenos Aires for July/August and I get over 10,000 here too but it's an urban area much like NYC. Relying on foot travel and public transportation makes a big difference I think.

The car/desk job combo can really restrict physical activity.
Sharon, how do you like Buenos Aires?
What is the weather there like right now?

Back to the OP: I have to think I get 10000 steps a day in-- I'm on my feet all day in my job. I know that I certainly don't feel like working out when I get home.
roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 04:40 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

This thread has inspired me to work harder toward the 10,000 steps a day. It IS hard to get that number in. Two days ago, I got in just over 9,500 and yesterday I managed to hit 10,000. There's nothing really magical about the 10,000 steps other than it represents a level of activity many people normally wouldn't have. But, for those with desk jobs and/or who drive places, it is hard.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 04:50 AM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

It is hard to reach 10,000 steps a day! I also have a sedentary "sit down" office job but I also try to walk around the building during my breaks and 30 minute lunch (but this does not add many steps!). Most days to meet (or exceed) 10,000 steps I have to exercise at least 90 minutes a day. I usually work out twice (yes twice) a day---once before work and again when I get home. The only day I don't do this is on Sundays.

I will be starting Insanity on Monday, I'm curious how many steps my bodybugg will register with those??

Denise

"By far the most important application is those 18 inches between the table and your mouth. Your diet. Eat clean to get rid of fat." Robert Kennedy, Oxygen Magazine

"Having the body you want starts with loving the body you have." Mandy Ingber, Shape Magazine
Denise R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 07:18 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy T View Post
2000 round trip, 1000 one way. Its a half mile. I'm in Virginia, so its not too bad, and I can take the university bus for free if I need to.
Is this is a good, but rough, guideline? 2000 steps per mile? Of course it will be different for everyone, but I don't wear a pedometer and I'd just like to get an idea.
Old 07-16-09, 10:58 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roz View Post
Sharon, how do you like Buenos Aires?
What is the weather there like right now?
Roz, my husband and I both love Buenos Aires. This is our fourth winter here. This year has been pretty warm so far: highs in the 50s\low to mid 60s. A couple of years ago it snowed, for the first time in almost 100 years. That was exciting -- and cold.

ETA: and those 10,000 steps have come pretty easily.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)

Last edited by SharonNYC; 07-16-09 at 11:00 AM. Reason: afterthought
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 11:05 AM  
Lauracat
VF Supporter

Or you could put the pedometer on your dog...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/8143364.stm
Lauracat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 11:08 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

That is sad...couldn't they just take the dog for a walk?

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 11:36 AM  
normandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
Is this is a good, but rough, guideline? 2000 steps per mile? Of course it will be different for everyone, but I don't wear a pedometer and I'd just like to get an idea.
That same BBC site mentioned above has an article entitled "Aim for 100 Steps per minute." I'm technologically deficient or else i would have given you a llink to the site. That seems really fast, though -- you would do 10,000 steps in 10 minutes at that rate!
normandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-09, 09:33 PM  
TuesdayTaylor
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I agree, and it's those &%#! 8+ hour desk jobs that are a killer!
Amen. I wore a pedometer for the first time. I did a Cathe workout and then DH dropped the kids and I off at a local park. I put on the pedometer when I arrive at the park. I spent the rest of the day walking. I finally hit 10,796 about an hour ago. So it took me about 9hours of moving to hit almost 11,000 steps.

There is no way I could have hit that number if I was chained to my computer and desk (as I was when I worked as a legal secretary and also travel agent). I feel your pain!
TuesdayTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-09, 09:43 PM  
bubbles76

I read somewhere that the Amish get in around 12,000-15,000 steps a day. So I don't feel quite so bad that I don't get in 10,000. I think that I'll invest in a HRM just to see. Is there a certain type that's more accurate than most.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
neat, neat activity, step count