Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-14-09, 10:26 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

10,000 steps a day is HARD

I have worn a pedometer for the last six weeks now and can't believe how hard it is to get in 10,000 steps a day! I exercise a lot, especially hiking, and with a 60-90 minute hike, I average about 9000 steps a day. On days I don't exercise, I average 2500-3000 steps a day. I have a desk job and no kids, so I do a lot less running around during the day than others might. It's funny, I consider myself fairly active but even with my activity, the 10,000 steps a day eludes me!
sheepla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 10:54 AM  
kandy

I second that! I also work a desk job and even though I make an effort to get up and walk more, walk 45 minutes to an hour during lunch/breaks, I still only hit about 9,000 on average during the week. Weekends are far less, even with walks, workouts, etc. I have hit 10,000 7 or 8 times during the last 3 months and each time I do I am so proud! I'm sure it helps that we keep trying

“Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.”
- Unknown
kandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 12:19 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I agree, and it's those &%#! 8+ hour desk jobs that are a killer!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 12:28 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Here's where a job like mine (housekeeper on a campus) is a blessing...easier to get in those steps than a desk job. Also I have short legs and little feet...so I have to take many more steps than a tall person But I still have to work at it: don't take shortcuts, don't be too efficient in my work (if I have to make a trip just to retrieve something I really could pick up later I go anyway). I try to get way more than 10K on pedometer since so many of my "steps" aren't steps at all But it's all good
Old 07-14-09, 01:28 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

cubicle dweller here, but i get in steps as follows:

1) get off 3 stops before my regular bus stop in the morning
2) the nearest stop after work is far away
3) do at least 1 errand during the day involving walking
4) take the stairs - i'm on the 10th floor

today, i plan to do 1 short run after work; my shoes and running clothes are already in the car. i'm good at changing in my car!

i recently started to focus on DISTANCE instead of steps, and believe me, it's so much harder to do. for details, visit our pedometer check-in.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 02:12 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I agree, and it's those &%#! 8+ hour desk jobs that are a killer!
I've always thought I'd be a worthy candidate to be an independently wealthy person. I'd volunteer my time and money. I'd be active and get in AT LEAST 10,000 steps a day. I'd be a positive force for those around me.

(Yeah, yeah. I know everyone says this! )

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 02:32 PM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

I have a desk job, too. Here's how I get mine in:

I don't have close parking, so I get an automatic 2,000 steps just getting to my job.
I walk at lunchtime for 1/2 hour or run an errand (2,000 more steps just getting to the car to run the errand).
I walk the dogs after work for 1/2 hour - 4,000 more steps

Plus, I try to walk to the various depts at work 1-2 times a day for a couple hundred more steps. Grass cutting, add a couple hundred more steps, grocery shopping after work, a couple hundred more steps, etc. I can usually nail the 10,000 and then some *IF* I walk at lunchtime.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 02:47 PM  
kandy

[QUOTE=Peggy T;1376400]I have a desk job, too. Here's how I get mine in:

I don't have close parking, so I get an automatic 2,000 steps just getting to my job.
I walk at lunchtime for 1/2 hour or run an errand (2,000 more steps just getting to the car to run the errand).
QUOTE]

Woah! 2,000 from your car to your office? I thought we had to park far away and it's only 300, 600 round trip! I'm in Michigan so I don't know if I could do that in January

“Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.”
- Unknown
kandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 02:55 PM  
sandym
VF Supporter

Walk to work!

I have a %*/?@ desk job as well. I walk to work though--over 3 miles. I think about 6600 steps. Of course that only works for me May through September/October here in lovely Northeast Ohio. I generally walk part of the way home as well. The 10000 steps is hard still.
sandym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 02:57 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Frankly, I don't know how anyone gets 10k a day! I don't wear my pedometer when I exercise, so I am happy if I get 2000-3000 per day; a really good day for me would be over 5k!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
neat, neat activity, step count