Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-06-22, 12:43 PM  
IceQueen07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
Re: macros/tracking -- I'd been loosely tracking macros on/off for a couple years actually and still gaining, all while working out pretty intensely. Gained and gained. I consulted with Susan Niebergall (http://susanniebergallfitness.com/ after I read her book "Fit At Any Age". She flat out told me that I just didn't have a large enough calorie deficit even though I thought I was doing all the right things but still gaining weight. She's 64 and helped me see that I needed more recovery time between weight work since my body just seemed to be going in the opposite direction than I wanted. Once I dialed in to the right calorie deficit (which was more than I thought), I started to lose. Her mantra is consistency over time with everything. But like everyone else has said, you've got to do what works for you. This is solely what finally is working for me.
Hoping you'll find what works for you!
Lori - I also talked with Susan, really connected with her book. She gives it to you straight that's for sure, but after talking to her and putting what she told me into practice, it is working. Her podcasts are really good to listen to when things get tough.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-22, 12:57 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmom View Post
I'm hoping to hear from people that combined programs and alternate them or switch up the weekly focus of their workouts. Anyone?
i frankenstein my regimen frequently - never sticking to one modality, as long as I am consistent. to me, consistency trumps all other factors. i think that's why "rotations" have been the key to people's success, not necessarily the program itself, but being consistent.

also, monitoring the "triangle" of fitness - frequency, intensity and duration - changing one of these variables has led to success. e.g.: frequency - people have done "sparking" sessions - work out 15 min in the morning and another 15 min in the afternoon. duration: do steady state but increase the session time by 10 min and progress further.

someone mentioned sleep - there are studies that have shown that getting enough sleep has contributed to weight loss.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-22, 01:24 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQueen07 View Post
Lori - I also talked with Susan, really connected with her book. She gives it to you straight that's for sure, but after talking to her and putting what she told me into practice, it is working. Her podcasts are really good to listen to when things get tough.
I got her book from my library and then started following her on Instagram. I simply sent her a DM and she really took time to look into what I was doing and what wasn't working. She is really straight to the point, but I'll be darned if she wasn't spot on for me.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-22, 02:33 PM  
edensmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
Re: macros/tracking -- I'd been loosely tracking macros on/off for a couple years actually and still gaining, all while working out pretty intensely. Gained and gained. I consulted with Susan Niebergall (http://susanniebergallfitness.com/ after I read her book "Fit At Any Age". She flat out told me that I just didn't have a large enough calorie deficit even though I thought I was doing all the right things but still gaining weight. She's 64 and helped me see that I needed more recovery time between weight work since my body just seemed to be going in the opposite direction than I wanted. Once I dialed in to the right calorie deficit (which was more than I thought), I started to lose. Her mantra is consistency over time with everything. But like everyone else has said, you've got to do what works for you. This is solely what finally is working for me.

Re: switching up weekly focus -- I actually do this all the time. Some weeks are heavier weights, some are lighter, some are just metabolic, some are circuits, some are just fusion, some are bands and bodyweight, some are a little more cardio based. *But* I don't change how many days I do moderate (five) and how many are heavier (two). I tend to do weight workouts on Tuesdays and Fridays with the rest of week just moderate or light. Most of my moderate days are just 30 mins now, sometimes with a CS stretch after. But I don't go over 45 mins total anymore with anything. That keeps me from becoming ravenous and avoiding injuries.

Hoping you'll find what works for you!
I listen to Jordan Syatt's podcast and he and Susan do podcasts together frequently! I've heard them plug her book and now I think i need to read it.

With macros I am at times more consistent than others. When I am "on" I am ON - measuring everything and logging everything. It's hard to sustain that without it becoming obsessive (for me) but for the most part it always worked for me. This last year I weighed/measured/logged EVERYTHING and stayed within calorie budget -- it took me more than 3 weeks to even lose a lb. I agree with what Jane said that it seems sometimes the body likes a certain weight and really stays there - or in my case gained. I'm curious about the deficit bc I don't know how much lower I could go before my husband and kids no longer like me. Lol.

Maybe switching up is the helpful thing bc I was 4 - 5 days a week weights and ZERO cardio or at best a circuit here and there. I'm down about 6 lbs since I started adding in cardio workouts. My body seems to like it.

Tugger - idk if you have tried this, but I got some inserts for plantar fasciitis and it has helped more than anything.i got a new job where I stand a lot and it was excruciating so I gave inserts a shot and WOW. Way less discomfort/pain and i can mix in some impact here and there.

I like hearing how other people structure their workouts, it is super helpful.

Now to finish reading the replies. One of my coworkers is off this week so I am extra busy at my office. Thanks my all the replies so far.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-22, 09:39 AM  
edensmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i frankenstein my regimen frequently - never sticking to one modality, as long as I am consistent. to me, consistency trumps all other factors. i think that's why "rotations" have been the key to people's success, not necessarily the program itself, but being consistent.

also, monitoring the "triangle" of fitness - frequency, intensity and duration - changing one of these variables has led to success. e.g.: frequency - people have done "sparking" sessions - work out 15 min in the morning and another 15 min in the afternoon. duration: do steady state but increase the session time by 10 min and progress further.

someone mentioned sleep - there are studies that have shown that getting enough sleep has contributed to weight loss.
I like this idea of varying intensity/ duration/# of days worked out etc. I was looking at one of Jessi a Smith's rotation and she has something like that - challenge week, moderate week, fusion week etc.

My sleep is pretty good. I get about 7 hrs a night and tend to fall asleep easily and stay asleep.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-22, 01:50 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmom View Post
I like this idea of varying intensity/ duration/# of days worked out etc. I was looking at one of Jessi a Smith's rotation and she has something like that - challenge week, moderate week, fusion week etc.

My sleep is pretty good. I get about 7 hrs a night and tend to fall asleep easily and stay asleep.
i tagged this thread with "sparks" for other threads where people worked out 2x/day with short "sparks". In some cases VFers kept total workout time constant but just broke it up into separate sessions.

Oprah's Bootcamp from years back included a 20 min walk before dinner, which is a short spark.

her rotation was something like this:
5-6 days a week: 30 min weight session in the morning
5-6 days a week: 45 cardio session in the morning
*75 min cardio on days she doesn't do weights
**daily: 20 min walk before dinner

*this is an example of extending the duration of a session
**example of a spark

i think it's important to keep a routine for 2 weeks then change it. this way you can see whether it's making a difference. it usually takes me 2 weeks to evaluate whether anything has changed.

Edited to add:
if i were to use Oprah's Bootcamp, i would keep the durations of the sessions as prescribed but would use less intense weights sessions to include high rep/low weight workouts, body weight workouts, CS, yoga or barre. For Cardio i would do steady state low impact styles. there are so many ways you could adapt the rotation.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-22, 07:41 AM  
tlchello

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I kind of miss the days when I'd do a CS episode, short weigh workout, and walk. It was simple. For the weight workouts, I'd alternate upper body, lower body, and full body and just pick short workouts. I teach a lot of Essentrics right now...which I love...but need to get my weights in.

I'm somebody that has never been able to lose weight without changing my four letter word starting with "D". And, I am well into perimenopause hopefully in full on menopause soon (I am going to be 55 this summer). Gone are the days that I can eat whatever I want.
Hey Jackie...I have just recently "returned" to this board but I do see your posts in the CS/Essentrics Facebook group now and then.

I am curious what your opinion or suggestions are, as an Essentrics teacher, for a good approach to combining Essentrics with weights. Would it still be an upper body, lower body and full body along with some Essentrics alternate days? Also, in your opinion and for you personally, why do you feel you need to add weights? I am truly interested because I feel like this might be the road I want to go down but not sure the best approach and would love to hear from an expert in Essentrics!
tlchello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-22, 08:19 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlchello View Post
Hey Jackie...I have just recently "returned" to this board but I do see your posts in the CS/Essentrics Facebook group now and then.

I am curious what your opinion or suggestions are, as an Essentrics teacher, for a good approach to combining Essentrics with weights. Would it still be an upper body, lower body and full body along with some Essentrics alternate days? Also, in your opinion and for you personally, why do you feel you need to add weights? I am truly interested because I feel like this might be the road I want to go down but not sure the best approach and would love to hear from an expert in Essentrics!
Hi! I think if you're going to do weights, perhaps use Essentrics as your recovery and rebalancing workout. IMHO, I feel like Essentrics is lacking in upper body strength work. You could do a short CS episode after your weights workout, or do upper body, lower body, CS or Essentrics on the third day.

You'll hear some of the instructors say that Essentrics is all they do. Some do include other workouts, some have their fantastic physique just due to genetics. I think there is a lot of value in cross training.

So...that's my .02.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-22, 08:24 AM  
tlchello

Quote:
Hi! I think if you're going to do weights, perhaps use Essentrics as your recovery and rebalancing workout. IMHO, I feel like Essentrics is lacking in upper body strength work. You could do a short CS episode after your weights workout, or do upper body, lower body, CS or Essentrics on the third day.

You'll hear some of the instructors say that Essentrics is all they do. Some do include other workouts, some have their fantastic physique just due to genetics. I think there is a lot of value in cross training.

So...that's my .02.
Thank you so much for the quick response. I think I will definitely do a combo of weights (for the strength benefit but also because I enjoy it) and Essentrics.
tlchello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-22, 10:58 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
I kind of do this -- I choose 3-4 CS/Ess workouts a week (all different focus, and I try to fit in a barre, floor, and standing workout). But I don't do them on the two days a week that I use weights though. I do them after a 30 min lighter workout or just walking. If I do a 30 min or longer more strengthening Essentrics workout, then that's my sole workout that day and I do a lighter cardio or just walking the next day.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exercise routines, oprah bootcamp, rotations, sparks