Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-17, 06:58 PM  
nevertoolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post

tip: click on the tags in the below to find more threads about NEAT.
Thanks for referencing the tags below, or here, if someone didn't catch your hint:

http://forum.videofitness.com/tags.p...=neat+activity

There are a lot of good ideas mentioned in those threads.

I'm a big time fidgeter, from long before I ever knew it was good for me. It seems I'm always moving something. After reading the book Sitting Kills, Moving Heals, by Joan Vernikos, I started making more conscious efforts to break up all the sitting I was doing at work. I had a timer on my computer that would remind me every 30 minutes or so to get up and move. I'd stand up and do something: march in place for a minute, dance, do some jumping jacks, do a few step-ups on a chair, stretch, just anything that would get my butt out of the chair. Sometimes I would ignore it, but it was a good reminder. I also worked in a public health setting, with co-workers who were supportive of good health practices (even if they didn't always practice them themselves). I was always one of those who got up at meetings or trainings and walked around. During our management meetings, we would take walking breaks outside. Now that I'm retired, it's a little easier to fit movement in. Every little bit helps and it's so important.

https://www.amazon.com/Sitting-Kills...=sitting+kills

Yours in fitness and health.

Ann
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 07:24 PM  
violingal3

I am in the same boat... I used to walk a lot in my old neighborhood (which was marvelous for walking) and we moved and all that changed. We retired as well, so the daily activity really changed, too. I have a treadmill but tend to do short cardio coaches or hiit sessions after a workout...I can lose my mind too long on a treadmill. I found a decent 4 mile loop to walk in my new neighborhood, so if the weather is decent I make myself walk daily. I've lost a few lbs just by adding in these daily walks (and feel a lot better) and I started just this month.

I would love a dog more than anything, but DH is allergic. We watched my parents dog for a month at our house and it was a wonderful way to get outside and be active walking him (although it about killed DH)!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 07:41 PM  
Scorpio6

titus2woman:
What is "The Wobble" ?
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 10:25 PM  
Titus2woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
titus2woman:
What is "The Wobble" ?
It's a line dance! ~very fun~

More people fail from a lack of encouragement than anything else!
Titus2woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-17, 01:14 PM  
DCW

I try to sneak in steps. I am in an office building so I walk up a flight of stairs and use that restroom rather than the one on my floor.

If you are working at home, try taking on purpose breaks every hour even if it is going outside and lapping your house for 5 minutes. I make myself get up at least every 60-90 minutes and walk to stretch my legs, back and shoulders from computer work.

Good luck!
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
neat, neat activity