Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-14, 04:28 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

getting in more NEAT time

this might be a discussion for FitBit users, pedometer users, and people who wear activity monitors.

i'm finding that because my "official" and "formal" workout time is limited to 30 min in the morning, i have to get in 30 more minutes of activity with "NEAT" time (as in non-exercise activity thermogenesis).

i haven't worn a pedometer in a long time. i recently participated in a fitness challenge via my employer, and we had to log our exercise time. it made me realize how easy it is to get a 20 or 30 min brisk walk in the morning before work.

so now, i do 30 min of weight training in the morning (or cardio, if it's a pure cardio day), then do the 30 min walk on my way to the office. while at work, i try to get up every so often. i'm not sure if i want to make the leap to converting my work station into a "standing" one just yet, but i've thought seriously about it.

i saw a friend of mine recently, and he looked so much slimmer. i asked if he lost weight, and he said yes, and it was because as a postal worker, he chose to go back into doing mail delivery. he said the weight came off in about 6 weeks! i hadn't seen him in maybe a year or so. he said he chose to do delivery because there was too much drama going on in the office, and he didn't want to be a supervisor anymore!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-14, 06:28 PM  
Demeris

When I was working fulltime, and any time I do consulting work, I do NOT get enough NEAT during the day.

Now that I'm retired, my day is NEAT all day long. I have animals to take care of, and I spend about an hour and a half every morning working in my father's garden. He lives a few acres away, and I walk over, do the work he's asked me to do, then walk home.

At noon and again at 5, I have to take care of my animals and do some light yard work.

I don't weigh, so I don't know whether or not I've lost weight, but I do know that I'm not only stronger now than I was before I retired but I have more energy.

So my NEAT is win-win-win-win.

I suspect this was how both of my grandmother's lived their whole lives.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-14, 10:27 AM  
antbuko

I just started walking more. My phone has a really good pedometer on it and I'm striving to exceed 10,000 steps per day. I do 4,000 or so in the morning before work, and then I get up often through out the day, and then take a walk at lunchtime. We are starting a 10,000 steps a day challenge and work and I would like to win it.

I have an android phone and I am looking for an app that will nudge me if I've been inactive for too long. Does anyone know of one? My job is sedentary so I could really use the nudge.
Old 08-29-14, 03:24 PM  
slysam

This is such a common topic on Fitbit forums (and probably all the other activity tracker forums). I've been trying a few different things that I picked up from others or just from experimenting with ways to keep myself off the sofa (and desk) a little more. I wrote a blog post with ten tips I use, I do track my activity with a tracker but since it is doing the activity that is important (not counting it) some of the tips work fine without one. The post: http://slysamgettingfit.blogspot.com...tactivity.html

I don't worry as much about intentional exercise now either (though I try to do some daily). I noticed a long time ago that every time I gain weight it happens when either 1--my activity decreases or 2--my hormones changed (usually from medication like oral contraceptives, etc). Or both. I use to associate the change with my exercise routine, but now I think it is all-round activity. The difference activity makes for me isn't huge--it is about 10 pounds either way (high if less active long enough and low if more active long enough). But I am only 5' 1", so 10 pounds is 1-2 clothing sizes and is visable on me. The more I look into, the more important activity seems for health overall. My grandmother was active through her mid-80's and didn't intentionally exercise (she thought it was a "waste of time"). She did walk in the hills every day, mend fences, pull weeds, garden, cleaned house, etc for hours every day when she could. I think her activity kept her relatively healthy (especially given her diet preferences and the fact she was moderately overweight) longer than many of her peers. Her job was also lightly physical so now I kind of get why she didn't feel exercise was necessary.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-14, 09:04 AM  
antbuko

Does the Fitbit remind you to get up and move? I've been walking a lot around the office but sometimes I forget to get up and I feel so tight after sitting for so long.

I liked your blog post Sylsam. I dance sometimes when I'm home in the evening and my cats love it, lol.
Old 08-30-14, 12:18 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slysam View Post
since it is doing the activity that is important (not counting it) some of the tips work fine without one. The post:
your reminder that it's the activity and not the gadget rang home for me. and thanks for sharing your tips.
Quote:
I use to associate the change with my exercise routine, but now I think it is all-round activity.
i'm beginning to have this same attitude, especially because the time i have to do any formal exercise is somewhat limited. i am also around your height and totally agree with your comment about how 10# can make a difference. for me at the moment, it's not so much about the vanity of the pounds, but that my cholesterol has been difficult to control, and my doc says if i lose a few pounds, i'll be able to lower my cholesterol a lot more.
Quote:
The more I look into, the more important activity seems for health overall. My grandmother was active through her mid-80's and didn't intentionally exercise (she thought it was a "waste of time").
my mom is the same.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
neat, neat activity