Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Old 11-04-04, 12:53 PM  
tkeana

What is the stickiest yoga mat, please?

Hi all,

I did a search of this forum but couldn't find the information. I have a Tapas basic mat, but I sweat like crazy, and whenever I go into downward dog, my hands inevitably begin their slow slide to the opposite end of the mat. It's maddening. Do any of you have this problem? Can you suggest a highly sticky mat? I saw a few on Amazon, but I thought it would be wise to consult you because you know the deal on these things.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.
tkeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-04, 12:55 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

My sticky mat is anything but sticky and I tend to have sweaty hands and feet, too. So, I use form fitting weight gloves on my hands and socks on my feet.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-04, 01:03 PM  
cyl

I would suggest washing your mat with soap and water in a bathtub and seeing if that helps before buying a new mat. Sometimes new mats have a coating on them that needs to get either worn off or washed off before they get as sticky as possible.

Also, take a look at the yoga mat threads listed in The Yoga Mats and Props Reference Thread for suggestions.

Christina
cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-04, 08:53 AM  
tkeana

Thank, cyl, for an excellent link.
tkeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-04, 11:18 AM  
AcademiaNut
VF Supporter

I have issues of my own re: collecting more yoga mats than a person could reasonably use in a lifetime. It's a long, sad story I'm now down to two, and I think that's going to have to hold me -because I'm too embarassed to deal with the fallout of collecting more.

For me, the thing that re-stickifies a mat is throwing it in the dryer on low heat for a few minutes . I know. This messes with your head. But if you can make yourself try it, it really works. Whenever I wash my mat, it gets slippery again. A few minutes in the dryer and we're back in business.

Andrea
Old 11-05-04, 11:43 AM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

It also helps if you wash your hands thoroughly before you start, then rub baby powder into your palms.

I don't know how well this would work for an hour-long power yoga practice because I haven't done one lately, but it keeps my hands from sliding around when I do 30' of power yoga.

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-04, 01:07 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

d
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-04, 01:44 PM  
Sophie

the search for sticky!

I think the reason it's hard to find a definitive answer is that there doesn't really seem to be a consensus - experience has varied widely. The thread Christina referenced is terrific and you'll see how variable the experiences have been!

I'm embarrassed to say I bought yet another mat last month (bringing my total to six ) in search of optimal stickiness and stability. Thus far, my stickiest mat is still my old Tapas, but that might just be due to its age - it's almost 9 years old. But the one I just bought, the deluxe mat from BodyMind workouts is quite decently sticky for a mat that hasn't really been broken in. I am optimistic it will do the trick for real sweatiness.

Dawn, huh? I have some by my kitchen sink - I'll give it a try!

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-04, 01:49 PM  
Messe

Debbie Stout recommended the Utopian mat sold by buymats.com (I bought mine from them on eBay). It is STICKY, and it's also very cushy.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-04, 01:56 PM  
wansley
VF Supporter

I started a yoga class about 5 weeks ago. I attend 2 times a week. I bought a cheap mat from target. It was very slippery. I use a towell on the end of my mat for down dog. Good news is that just this week, it became sticky. So use the mat alot and see if it helps. I think Ill always have a towell nearby to dry off. Good luck.
wansley is offline   Reply With Quote