Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-15, 08:01 AM  
cherimac

Leslie-you don't need a Roku with a Smart TV but would need Apple TV, etc to play streaming workouts from paying sites. I can do YT with my tv but not barre3, etc unless I have an Apple TV to use with my iPad/iPhone. That will be my next purchase down the line.
Old 12-06-15, 10:27 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
Leslie-you don't need a Roku with a Smart TV but would need Apple TV, etc to play streaming workouts from paying sites. I can do YT with my tv but not barre3, etc unless I have an Apple TV to use with my iPad/iPhone. That will be my next purchase down the line.
Well right now I am not thinking about streaming from paying sites and if I do I would probably do that in my basement gym. The TV there is "dumb" but my DVD player is connected to YouTube, Amazon etc. I currently have lifetime access to My Yoga Pro that I currently do not use. I got this through Erin Motz's kickstarter campaign.
I don't understand why I would need an apple TV to get access to that though. When I did use the My Yoga Pro I just played it on my ipad.. Why couldn't I just connect the ipad to the TV with a HDMI cable?
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-15, 10:36 AM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I have a pressure cooker and a slow cooker so I don't need this but I had never heard of an instapot before. Interesting.

I got a smart TV for our newly renovated guest room. I will set it up once I get the TV console I purchased delivered on Tuesday. I will probably do some exercise related stuff in this room using the TV even though I have a workout area downstairs.
Question: I assume with the smart TV I do not need a ROKU or Apple TV to do You Tube workouts right? I will need to get a cable box however if I want regular TV as we don't get reception without it.
We have a smart tv that is a few years old and the smart aspect sucks and is unreliable, (it is an LG tv), so when I stream YouTube workouts, I prefer to use the roku box. We never use the smart tv stuff, because it crashes all the time. Maybe smart tvs are better now, though.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-15, 10:55 AM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
I don't understand why I would need an apple TV to get access to that though. When I did use the My Yoga Pro I just played it on my ipad.. Why couldn't I just connect the ipad to the TV with a HDMI cable?
You can (although I think you need an adapter to do that). With Apple TV you can do it wirelessly, and Apple TV also has apps (like your DVD player does) to view youtube etc. directly.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-15, 11:27 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoll View Post
I hope you love your Instapot as much as I do. I use it as a pressure cooker and as a slow cooker. Good price too!
Thank you for posting that - it hasn't arrived yet and I'm quite intimidated already!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-15, 11:48 AM  
ADoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Thank you for posting that - it hasn't arrived yet and I'm quite intimidated already!
It may look intimidating at first but just play around with the settings. You will be surprised at how fast chicken, soups, and meat cooks. You can also use it as a steamer, warmer, for sautéing and as a rice cooker. I already have a separate rice cooker so haven't tried making rice with it. Three of my coworkers also have it and two more bought it during Black Friday.
ADoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-15, 12:57 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
We have a smart tv that is a few years old and the smart aspect sucks and is unreliable, (it is an LG tv), so when I stream YouTube workouts, I prefer to use the roku box. We never use the smart tv stuff, because it crashes all the time. Maybe smart tvs are better now, though.
I hope I don't have these problems. It is a 32" Samsung and didn't research reviews-it was a Black Friday special at BJs and I just took a leap of faith. I have two Samsung TVs and they are pretty reliable but they are not smart TVs.
Old 12-06-15, 02:35 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
You can (although I think you need an adapter to do that). With Apple TV you can do it wirelessly, and Apple TV also has apps (like your DVD player does) to view youtube etc. directly.
Thanks, Laura. That is what I meant.
Old 12-06-15, 08:29 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
I know that an apple TV has you tube apps etc. So does my ROKU. However I got the Smart TV so I didn't need those devices. I thought you could just connect to the internet from the Smart TV and stream from there.
Old 12-06-15, 08:40 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
I know that an apple TV has you tube apps etc. So does my ROKU. However I got the Smart TV so I didn't need those devices. I thought you could just connect to the internet from the Smart TV and stream from there.
A Smart TV has certain apps built in like YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, etc. Paid streaming sites are different and require Apple TV, HDMI cable, etc.

Tags
pink fitness, smart tv, streaming, technology, yoga wheel gadget