Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-13, 05:07 PM  
knitter_mom

Fair Use Issue for Streaming Workouts

I didn't do a search on the forums to see if this has been addressed already, although I don't remember any threads dedicated to it, and thought it would be good to bring up.

I'm subscribed to the Terri Walsh ART website for her streaming classes, and have tried out a number of the workouts, but don't feel the need to stay subscribed, even if it is only 7$/month. The workouts are good, but they are already a little repetitive, and I just tried them because the price was too good to pass up.

Anyway, my question is, would it be fair use (i.e., legal) to download the ones I have tried already onto a flash drive before I unsubscribe? They would only be for my use in my home, no YouTube, no loaning to someone else, just an occasional workout. I just can't determine whether the streaming subscription means you only have access during your subscription period, and while you can download and use them when subscribed, after you are done, you should delete them. Or am I wrong?

Kris - longtime quiet member trying to be a little more chatty
knitter_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-13, 05:16 PM  
horsemom2

To me, this is similar to downloading a tv show for your own private use in the future.
If it weren't allowed, there would never have been devices like vcrs and dvrs.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-13, 05:45 PM  
knitter_mom

That's my first inclination too, but I've been surprised in the past in regards to computer/TV products so I wanted to double check. For example, when you stream from Netflix or Amazon, they make it pretty difficult if not impossible to copy the download, but that doesn't necessarily reflect legalities. It is also possible the law hasn't kept up with this new technology, making it even harder to figure this out.

Kris
Old 01-29-13, 05:51 PM  
Messe

Unless Terri Walsh actually allows downloads, it's not legal. Would you rent a RedBox DVD and copy it? And do you really think it's okay to download a Netflix or Amazon stream? Really?!?

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-13, 06:00 PM  
hotncmom

I would say that to copy streaming workouts that were not specifically sold to you under the terms of a download you can keep, would be unethical if not illegal. It's not as if she put them out on Youtube for free, you paid for access for a limited time.

And I would bet somewhere in the fine print she has the stipulations stated.

And Terri Walsh has offered downloads for a fee. I purchased ART Cardio from her.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-13, 06:15 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
Unless Terri Walsh actually allows downloads, it's not legal. Would you rent a RedBox DVD and copy it? And do you really think it's okay to download a Netflix or Amazon stream? Really?!?
Kris is asking specifically so that she doesn't potentially do anything illegal or unethical. No need to make her feel bad for asking the question..
Old 01-29-13, 06:15 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
kris is asking specifically so that she doesn't potentially do anything illegal or unethical. No need to make her feel bad for asking the question..
+1

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-13, 06:24 PM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
Kris is asking specifically so that she doesn't potentially do anything illegal or unethical. No need to make her feel bad for asking the question..
Well, she's edited first her post, because she originally mentioned how hard/impossible it is to download Netflix/Amazon streams, which indicated to me that she had tried and either failed or had a hard time doing it. That's why I reacted the way I did.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-13, 07:22 PM  
knitter_mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
Well, she's edited first her post, because she originally mentioned how hard/impossible it is to download Netflix/Amazon streams, which indicated to me that she had tried and either failed or had a hard time doing it. That's why I reacted the way I did.
Uh no, one, i didnt edit my post, and two, I have never tried to download Amazon/Netflix videos, I was only using that as an example as to why I had questions about the legality of keeping a downloaded streamed workout. Fair use and copyright law is extremely complex, and not my area of expertise, which is why I am asking. I do believe you are allowed to download the workouts (to make them easier to view if your Internet connection is slow, for example), my question was specifically about the legality of keeping downloads AFTER your subscription is done.

I will go and check Terri's small print to see if it says anything, but so many people are clueless about fair use, that you can't always trust what the small print says, unless they've consulted a copyright lawyer.

Kris
Old 01-29-13, 07:34 PM  
casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitter_mom View Post
I didn't do a search on the forums to see if this has been addressed already, although I don't remember any threads dedicated to it, and thought it would be good to bring up.

I'm subscribed to the Terri Walsh ART website for her streaming classes, and have tried out a number of the workouts, but don't feel the need to stay subscribed, even if it is only 7$/month. The workouts are good, but they are already a little repetitive, and I just tried them because the price was too good to pass up.

Anyway, my question is, would it be fair use (i.e., legal) to download the ones I have tried already onto a flash drive before I unsubscribe? They would only be for my use in my home, no YouTube, no loaning to someone else, just an occasional workout. I just can't determine whether the streaming subscription means you only have access during your subscription period, and while you can download and use them when subscribed, after you are done, you should delete them. Or am I wrong?

Kris - longtime quiet member trying to be a little more chatty
With all the confusion over new technology these days, I appreciate your question. I get a little bogged down with all these issues myself and I only have purchased one download! Streaming workouts are a whole different unknown to me. I totally agree with you that it's confusing. Thanks to the above helpful posters for trying to clarify some of this stuff.
casey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fair use, streaming